1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone build a big garage? what would ya do different, must haves ?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Sep 5, 2023.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:crackup:

Ahhhh.... There's the confusion.

I'd be fine with a trailer & no permanent address. It's the dishwasher that wants hearth and home.

Akshully.... Maybe I wouldn't mind checking your former dishwasher, if she'd be down with life in a van down by the river. Pics and measurements, please. :D

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Also. High Bay LED lights are awesome. 30amp RV plug along 1 wall. Being up north I used in floor heating with Hot Rock Panels for insulation under the concrete. 2ft Concrete walls with 14ft studded walls on top of that. The concrete helps keep critters/rodents out. Exterior is all steel, interior is all AgTuf, which is a plastic ribbed material. Easy to install. Insulated with Rockwool

skidooboy, BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

"Finished" my 27x65 block building last year in Wesley Chapel. Would have gone bigger, but that's all I could do with setbacks and wetlands in the back of the property. 17'high walls with 2 11wx15h roll up doors on the front (my front is the 27' wide elevation) and 1 11x10 door on the side at the back of the building. I have 10 high bay leds in the space and 2 big ceiling fans. Did a lot of outlets including a 50amp as I keep the 5th wheel in 1 bay. Currently open trusses, but will eventually insulate. Will also end up putting a loft in the back over the workshop area eventually. Ideally I would have done 40x70, so that I could have 3 bays. 1 for 5th wheel, 1 for boat, and 1 entire bay for cars/workshop. As it sits now the camper and boat take up the front of the 2 bays and the workshop space is the remaining 25-30 at the back of the building. I know...1st world problems, but bottom line is, all of these guys are right about always wanting more space.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

awesome ! and you are pretty close, my home is just a few exits north in Dade city area.. if you used a general con, pm me his info. was it easier to do block vs metal wall building?

6. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I live in a neighborhood of about 35 homes all on 2-3 acres, so the "HOA" (they really don't care about much) requires the structure to "match" the house, so metal wasn't an option for me.
    I actually ended up subbing it out myself and it was a pretty easy process. I would say it was definitely worth the savings compared to what GCs were bidding me.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

The used dishwasher is a genderless machine made of plastic, steel and rubber.

When I was a kid anybody that lived in a van was a bum.

8. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

my only contribution to this which i think no one mentioned is, the hot tub has to be atleast a 3 seater :)

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Aircraft hangars are metal, the one my brother rented at the local airport are 30 years old and show no corrosion, and of course that's in S. Fla. But you have to pour a slab, block is the way I'd go. Especially for future property values, Mr. Appraiser.

Personally I think the whole project needs to be revamped. You need more than 5 acres so you can build a track with a 2,500' straight that doubles as a runway, so I can fly in and ride. I ain't driving to Dade City.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

:D ... and true. getting some prices to do it in block. if i did metal, i'd do the bottom 3-4' with a stone facade. i've seen some buildings around here with the stone wainscotting around the bottom, but block walls would be ideal.

11. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

You might spend a few bucks more going with block, that's the way I would go down this way Melk if you plan on spending a bunch of time in the cave.

12. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

Better to build it out of block or those concrete wall panels that are shipped in. Ive seen them put up warehouses with the panels in a matter of days. I dont know what sizes are or what they cost but it’s a very popular way to do things. Ive seen them used it in the north and the south.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

for the record... F&$K 4 posts lifts! like tits on a boar hog. rails and crossbeams in way of everything you want to do. explain to me how you rotate tires on a 4 post? unless you are just using it for elevated storage and wasted space.... 2 post lifts for the muthaf%^&*in WIN! Ski

zertrider likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

4-post lifts have axle jacks for lifting the wheels off the platform.

That’s how you rotate tires on a 4-post lift.

ChemGuy and Spang308 like this.
  15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

This ^^
    I actually prefer a 4 post for most work. Two post is better in a few situations, but working on suspension and brakes is nice on a 4 post where the ramps double as a work bench.

16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I'd seriously look at a washer/dryer area near the bathroom. A simple econo set to keep all of your nasty oily clothes away from the main washer dryer.

Once a Wanker.. and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I did a 2 post lift...mainly for space in my po' boy 30x40 shop. But a modern 4 post with 2 jacks...that can be used anywhere along the ramps!!! and a wheel kit so you can roll it and whatever is on it around the shop would be amazing. Especially in a bigger shop.

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I had 4 post with rolling jacks and have 2 post now. I did not find 4 post better in any way for working on the car. Something is always in the way, rail or jack or walking around...
    Specially for suspension and brakes, 2 post I can sit on rolling chair and get any angle I want with nothing in the way.

Skter505, zertrider and skidooboy like this.
  19. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Man, some of the shops you guys are describing and the suggestions for an upcoming build...sound like a dream come true

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I have a friend with a mobile detail business... he has a washer just for his waxy microfibers. They never get used on a body panel after its first use out of the package.
    He goes though ~10 (36)packs a week and has been using some $100 front washer he scored off Marketplace.