1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home improvement projects!

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Dec 3, 2022.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yup, two story house - had all the faucets on all floors open for a while, sucked water out of both pipes with a couple of siphon pumps I have, but that still didn't do it. Even tried a trick of using bread to clog up the pipes to stop the drip and nothing worked.

And yeah, shark bites are great - I've used them before but wanted to try to do it more "official" and learn to solder. Shark bites are "code" in my area, so no need to ever solder anything.

BigBird and Boman Forklift like this.
  2. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

Does changing a Skid Steer track in crap weather count as home improvement if I am using it to redo my driveway?

Don't think I am getting to the other side today...
    ...such a pain in the ass! :mad:

IMG_0229.jpg

3. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

delaminating shutters... most likely lead, used a respirator. checking if old paint still looks good.
    rsz_20220828_130812.jpg
    rsz_20220827_133420.jpg
    rsz_20220827_134201.jpg
    rsz_20220827_151958.jpg

YamahaRick and Phl218 like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Sharkbite is the bomb. For the ease of it i happily spend the extra $

BigBird and SuddenBraking like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You emeffers jinxed me.

The missus piped up right after 11 o'clock kickoffs, "I want to hang some pictures."

Y'all know who's actually hanging them.

:mad:

gixxernaut, BigBird and Phl218 like this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ya, I’ve been hanging Christmas lights. Dealing with the old stuff problems, that I skipped for a few years with the kids moved out. Have some neighbors with young kids and Ty and my wife’s siblings are coming over for Christmas, so mama wants all the stuff out.

7. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Fixing the aftermath of the previous owner's "craftsmanship".

upload_2022-12-4_17-14-49.png

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I am in the process of repainting the entire interior of this home. Ceilings included.

Along the way, I've replaced all the outlets and switches, as well as all the door hardware (hinges and handles).

Two of three bedrooms have new ceiling fans. Haven't decided on what to put in mbr or living room.

New LED lighting in hallways, front entrance, closets, and laundry room. Breakfast nook, dining room, and living room lighting will also be upgraded.

Rebuilding home office room from scratch, removing a lot of things that need to be thrown away or put in storage. Upgraded two of three PC screens.

As rooms are finished, if it has carpet, the carpet gets steam cleaned.

Garage will eventually get floor surfaced and coated; the walls and ceiling will get fresh paint. New lighting as well.

Enclosed porch gets a top to bottom cleaning. Its carpet will get steam cleaned.

Storage sheds will get cleaned out and sorted. May do a bit of interior upgrades to one (insulation, better lighting, another outlet, etc.).

Still in planning stages for both bathrooms and kitchen.

Still looking for lawncare resource for makeover and serious tree trimming.

Home exterior gets fresh paint next spring. All concrete will get serious pressure washing at that time as well.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

doing over the flooring in the basement, and as in my other thread, because of that decided to tackle the 1964 bathroom in the process. I decided to do all of this to install a whole whole water filter system, good for the house overall, but mainly so I can have better water to wash the cars :) But now I had to remove the old sliding doors to create space, so the boiler room/mudroom needs to done over.

oh yeah, the main upstairs bathroom still has that leak, so that shower is inoperable, so 2 showers out of commission. this winter I will be kept busy for sure.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

^ i thought your car wash was waterless ?

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

it is, but I do want the option of potentially washing it with the hose. And I still wash the Mazda with pressure washer

12. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Bank of America has a card that does 3% cash back on home improvements. plus $200 bonus when you spend $1000 on the first 90 days.

i've been using it on my projects right now.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

i need to do that for the "couple grand i spend anyways projects" ... added to the reminders.

thanks!

DBConz likes this.
  14. E-Van

E-Van Well-Known Member

If you live in the Midwest where Menards is a competitor of Home Depot, Home Depot also has an unadvertised 11% rebate program most of the time.

https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/

Rising likes this.
  15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, had no idea.

My next project is a standby generator.

After that is outdoor kitchen.

16. apriliastallion

apriliastallion Well-Known Member

Just finished up our house remodel and we are pretty proud of how it turned out. My wife and i did all the work except for pour the front steps and sidewalk. ( I am a terrible concrete finisher)

Attached Files:

TurboBlew, Tristan, Evad101 and 5 others like this.
  17. BigBird

BigBird blah

WoW! That's freaking impressive! You went from 1 to 3 bikes!!

Also, that house transformation is super impressive :D

Banditracer likes this.
  18. apriliastallion

apriliastallion Well-Known Member

Look closer(maybe in a window) 1-4:beer:

SuddenBraking and BigBird like this.
  19. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Anyone have tips on how to keep these weaponized squirrels out of a garage? Last summer I sealed up EVERY possible opening into the shop. Only to find out that these sons a bitches have resorted to literally chewing through the siding/walls/insulation/interior wall. They aren't even scared of me, which makes me more scared of them lol. Earlier this week I was TIG welding some stuff and they were just staring at me from the rafters. It doesn't even seem to phase them when I sling shit at 'em.

Yesterday I put some of those repellent boxes and a statue thingy of an owl in there. So I guess we will see how that goes.. Also considering getting a barn cat, but I don't want that to turn into just another way for critters to get in.. Its really frustrating because they're chewing on stuff and making a mess. I'm about to roll in there with my 9mm and start getting ignorant.

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Pellet gun and start picking them off. If they're determined you won't keep them out.