1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isle of Man TT 2022, who's going from on here

Discussion in 'General' started by speedkelly, May 15, 2022.

1. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

I'll be going, 1st time this year. Staying at a friends place in Ramsey. Can wait.

SpeedyTide and Mike Lafayette like this.
  2. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

3. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

That video is the business!

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

@gpstar748 and I will be there. We're staying at a place on the prom in Douglas, and will be found in the paddock most days. He's riding a Fireblade with Penz13 and I'll be on a ZX-6R for MotoHub (gray truck with blue awning, ask for Sam West and you'll find me).

joec, pro69ss, ToofPic and 4 others like this.
  5. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Jeezus.... im tired now. Fookin amazing.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm sorry but even as a racer that just looks like it shouldn't be physically possible. I can't even imagine how many laps you have to have around that place to ride it at speed

7. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Sadly, not this year. We were a week away from a motorcycle tour of Japan a couple of years ago when the Covid stuff closed down the country. We literally had our bags packed. We have been trying to go ever since, but this year looks like a no-go again.

What does this have to do with the TT? Well, my wife and I have been to the TT 4 times over the years and would go every year if we could. It has been a long time since we've been there, and thought we needed to do *something* in the form of a "big" trip. It was too late for a "proper" TT trip (on motorcycle), so we looked toward the newly-reformed "Manx GP" in August.

Well... Two weeks ago, my step-dad (raced on the beach at Daytona!) died. He gave 24x7 care to my Mom, who is in bad shape. They have tons of "stuff" and loose ends. We will burn off any work time off, leave, bereavement, etc. to take care of this and it looks like the Manx GP is off. Maybe the TT (and/or Japan) next year?

Anyhow, I really envy you your first-time TT trip. If not this trip (there will be others!), try to do whatever you can to get on a bike. It is a wonderful experience all-around, but on a bike it is life-chan

Spectating the races is exciting and spectacular. That's a given. But, the people you will meet may be even more of a lasting memory. I'm not an outgoing guy, but I have made some life-long friends just in my 4 visits. We live in central Florida, and the theme parks are a popular UK destination. So, I've been fortunate enough to have quite a few of them visit my home.

I'd give you some tips, but it has been quite a while now since I went. All the famous corners and places are famous for a reason, and you will probably use your first trip to hit many of those (Creg, Sulby Hotel, Bradden bridge, etc., etc.) Great homemade food at the Bradden church and there was a great little pastie shop across from the Sulby hotel. Locals would empty them out before about 10 AM, though.

If you don't have a great time, want to move there, and do whatever you can to return, I'd be surprised. Staying with a friend (near the Ramsey sprints!) is the icing on the cake.

8. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

yep

9. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

A bit more in depth... about an hour.

I've talked to Milky and he says MINIMUM of 3-5 years to learn and be able to "start" getting fast around the IOM.
    And I got one of his TT / Monster jackets as well... :beer:

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

As usual, hate all of you who are going :crackup:

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Still on the bucket list sadly.

12. prm

prm Well-Known Member

fuuuuuuu….. That is just crazy.

When Jackie Stewart says “this is man’s country, this” you know it’s a special breed to take on and excel at IOM.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you haven't signed up for TT+ I dunno what's wrong with ya.

prm and Yama-saurus like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good point, doing that now.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

@speedkelly, come find Brandon or I in the pits. If we don't have an actual connection to a bike you can ride, we'll be able to help you find one. The TT course must be ridden to be understood.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  16. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

you could.. just... come... ;)

will have a bushy's for ya bud <3

17. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

For sure I'll come find you guys, luckily for me I already have a bike lined up to ride. Triumph Tiger 850/900 not sure the exact model. It belongs to a friend that moved to the island 3 years ago. Being trying to get there ever since. But Covid mess that up the last two years. Got lots of stuff booked already. Bus tour lap with milky, evening with Hickman. Grandstand seats at various places, and day in some pub with Steve Parrish. Plus just watching in some cool spots. Looking forward to meeting and making some new TT friends.

SpeedyTide, Mike Lafayette and tophyr like this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I recommend Metzler

19. ton

ton Arf!

As always, I second the chastising of @Mongo for failure to just do the thing.

Good luck, gents!

20. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Work plans didn't pan out for the TT this year, but I just received a gift packet from a "resident" friend of mine... :p
    2023 is confirmed though...

20220517_203626.jpg

Mike Lafayette and Steeltoe like this.