1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't understand mellienals.

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Morgan, Dec 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Having owned a few GM products, this makes way too much sense.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Having worked at Gm all through college this also makes too much sense lol

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Let me preface this with I have no love for Unions in this day and age. My wife and I told the NEA/IEA to pound sand awhile ago.

My Dad retired from the Teamsters Union after 30 years.

He worked his ass off 6-7 days a week averaging 2-300o miles per week in that time.

In that time period, he fought on several occasions for himself and his coworkers not for "cushy" benefits, but simply the terms that the company agreed on and were refusing to comply (schedule and time home situations).

He was involved in a wreck in 1981 (equipment failure not driver error - YES the same company Associated Truck Lines) that almost killed him and laid him up for nearly a year. Almost all that time he was in physical therapy and never could fully extend his right ever again and had pins, screws etc in his arms and legs. He was back at work as soon as he was cleared medically (after bugging the doctor that he needed to get back to work and get off "welfare", which is how he felt about unemployment.)

My point is this, for every story like the one you relayed - there are plenty of stories on the other side of that coin.

Fish On.

AC1108 and ToofPic like this.
  4. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

What good is me and you without you.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I don't deny that unions were beneficial in the past. Some of them conduct apprenticeship/training programs that are excellent today. However, by and large, their current activities are far more political and designed to protect those at the top, not those that pay the dues.

SundaySocial, RRP and ToofPic like this.
  6. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

yeah I imagine being super wealthy would skew a developig mind.... I don’t plan on being wealthy, just well off... but my kids aren’t getting spoon fed. I’ll buy them a car, but they’ll have to fend for themselves. Hopefully I will have given them to the tools and the love they need to succeed in life without mommy and daddy. And without social media.

Montoya and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That generation will be growing up under Chinese rule anyway.

YamahaRick and cortezmachine like this.
  8. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that happened to your father.I by no means know anything about unions, other than what my old man use to tell me.
    My own opinion would be that they are political, and take employee money more than helping the employees.
    I have always thought UAW was the rare exception.My dad's best friend had a pos son that also worked for GM.He literally was caught numerous times stealing high end tools,and fired.
    And every time the union got this thief his job back.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Do teachers HAVE to join the teachers unions in right to work states? Are they somehow otherwise coerced to join?

10. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Ppl have been saying that forever. So it'll happen right around the same time we have fusion power :D

Gino230 likes this.
  11. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

You ever see "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" episode of Twilight Zone? :crackup:

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I goggled it,and as of 2018 they don't have to,or pay into it.

RRP likes this.
  13. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

No, but in some states they have to pay the amount in dues, so it is "fair". It is a jacked up system.

RRP likes this.
  14. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

That is one of my favorite jokes.
    "You know what the difference is between eccentric and crazy?"

beac83 likes this.
  15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Most places you don't have to join the union, but you have to pay the union dues even if you don't "join". Teacher's unions are not always by state, because in some states, each school district has to vote to unionize or not, although most have eventually voted to do so over the years and the unions almost never get voted back out once in place.

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Sorry I was on my phone, did you say something? :D

17. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This is largely why we told the IEA and local association to fuck off.

Especially when they swear that “none of these funds support any political activity or agenda” one too many times..

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

In the UK you can join a union but opt out of having a percentage of your fees going to a political entity.

19. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I've heard of a place (Iowa I think) where the union policed itself to assure their members followed the contract, didn't fuck off, disciplined them for screw ups, etc. They even kept track of foul ups and kicked them out of the union if necessary! Management did the training, planning, scheduling. I think I could live with a system like that instead of what I dealt with. I still don't agree with closed shops though.

20. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

This thread reminded me of a time when I was welding for some small shop in the evenings when I was a teen.. I once got written up because I decided to sit down in a chair and MIG weld like 300 parts one night. I got accused of being lazy. Although I was closing the orders for those particular parts out faster than anyone else. (I also had the lowest scrap rate out of any of their offshift welders, and I usually didn't smell like booze)

"We don't sit down at this fuckin job BOY!" I refused to sign the slip and told them to tell the owner about it. I never stopped using a chair for that job, they never stopped bitching, I never got fired... I quit shortly after I graduated to go into aerospace/medical device welding.

That job taught me one important thing... If you do something different than other people, they usually wont like it. even if it's more efficient/easier/safer. That place also lead me to believe that if I ever got married I'd be miserable, saving money is impossible, and whenever someone younger than me is better at something, my best course of action should always be hostility.

Humans are weird.

Hope you find some people to fish with. Want my grandmas number? that old gal can reel 'em in.

Gino230 and PMooney Jr. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.