1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

IPOs are almost always only available to institutional investors.

Did you actually participate in the IPO or were you technically buying on the secondary market from your bank?

sanee likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Picked up an AMZN 12/17 3700 yesterday for 44.75. It's up 25% right now at 55ish. I'll put a stop limit $ order in probably next week to capture gains once it's greater than 50% gain. I'll let it ride to -30% before I bail unless there's some binary event that's kneejerk.

On the flip side I have an IBM 11/19 130 at 1.15 that's deep OTM and down 85% at around .20. With 8 days until expiration I'm just going to let it ride and hope it's a lottery ticket.​

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So has anyone gotten into shipping industry stock? I've got a few to study, just don't have time right now:

TGH
    SBLK
    DAC
    BDRY

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

I think RIVN is going to the moon. Everyone is thinking it's the next Tesla

motion likes this.
  7. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Based on my investment style:

TGH -- Too far above support level. Possible Put opportunity but I don't know the stock or industry trends.
    SBLK -- looks pretty good to me.
    DAC -- Looks to be entering a squeeze. Probably good for long term, not options.
    BDRY[ -- Bouncing off support. Dry bulk. Hmm. Maybe a good opportunity but what caused the decline? May be a debit spread candidate but lower price than I typically like.

rd400racer likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

All the EV car companies are up from the RIVN momentum. RIP gasoline car stocks.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I wish options were available. I did buy some shares for a long position.

BigBird likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, straight-up allocation from the IPO. I knew the price beforehand, if I remember correctly.

I never researched why regular people had access to it I guess would be that might have had something to do with it being a privatization of a state-owned business.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What do you guys know about PSFE?

12. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Looks like a tax write off for anyone that got in last year. :crackup:

I'm wondering what is going to happen with the Occidental Petroleum Corporation that Buffett bought into last year.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

15. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Looking good so far... :D

A buddy cashed out today, banked over $800. I told him he owes me a cut lol

16. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

17. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

I'll PM you my Venmo account so I can take a cut of your cut :D

I'm still in, up ~41% right now. I thought about selling near close today but I think there is still some room to go. I imagine there are going to be some wild swings tomorrow/Monday as the ex-dividend date nears so I'll probably put a limit sell in tomorrow morning.

Edit: Multiple brokers are showing BGFV as hard to borrow so that should limit downward pressure as well.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I bought this morning. If looking positive tomorrow mid morning, I'll pick up some more. Hope I didn't screw it up for you guys haha.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

i'm still not gonna buy on the upward momentum, even if it never comes down i guess, and if not, oh well i guess. fact still remains, they got a long way to go until profit. if Tesla type hype keeps it inflated beyond reasonable business practice, more power to them i guess, but i dunno that i can fuck with that. Coinbase fell off from its IPO amount, but now is a bunch up. that was pretty much a no brainer as well because all it does is make money (until every other bank finally figures a way to make fees extra low). I "expect" that a bunch of early entrants and pre-IPO share holders take some profit. I also expect that Q4 numbers come out and are again terrible, as far as profitability goes. i'd be super interested to get in around $50-75, and hold for a long time, assuming they have a good path forward to production and scale.

The reason I'd tend to agree with your statement, at least for now, is because Elon totally fucked the goat on his pickup, and i don't care what anyone says. He just flat out doesn't understand the market, and Rivian seems to. He made a pickup truck for nerds and gamers, and its fucking ugly i don't care what anyone says. Key miss is that pickup truck dudes, are the most stubborn, stuck in their ways, brand loyal, unchanging dudes ever, and besides wanting usable utility, they will be the some of the MOST resistant to change in this arena, which includes looks change. When Elon's dumb shit got unveiled, all i kept saying was, "just make a fucking pickup that looks like a godamn pickup, has good range, torque, and load capacity, and the sales will come." Pickup trucks for construction workers, farmers, oil workers, good ol' boys, and dudes towing and hauling shit, is not the market segment to go off on some tangent for design. leave that to sportscars and yuppie bullshit. THAT is why i have interest in Rivian. You're already trying to change so much of engrained behavior for the pickup segment just by being electric... clearly, i'd do one at a time, getting people on board with batteries OR looks for a new market segment. I would clearly not try to do BOTH at the same time, as Elon had seemed to think was a good idea. That's a clear failure to me.

Musk had a lot of years of profit losses and problems and subsidizing to get the nationwide network to where it is and the sales to where they are, and they STILL have QC problems out the ass. This is going to be a slow burn if its gonna get there... or, will have to be bought out by Ford or something. Hopefully they can sustain that time period, or get the subsidies and fanboy investors to see them thru.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!