1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Crypto is a scam. Its all BS. Look at which country controls/controlled the vast majority of it, along with the mining equipment.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

well sure haha, but i find that particular tweet revelation extra funny, enough to share it this evening.

also today, i read a hilarious thread full of a bunch of vape kids talking about NFTs and that anyone criticizing them "just don't understand how they work." and then when anyone asked them to explain it then, nobody could haha. congrats to some of the people that have actually just taken their winnings and been done with it.

BigBird and motion like this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

NFTs LMAO. Who comes up with this stuff?

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It has similarities to something else. All it is missing is a story about a mystical voice that told someone about these things that you shouldn't do. Up on a mountain...when no one else was around...

Con men are alwasy going to con men when they can.

BigBird, Rebel635 and motion like this.
  5. Sweatypants

seriously, and not sarcastically... i asked a dude to explain the benefit of owning one, where in digital media, you could literally copy the "art" pixel for pixel, exactly? he tried to say it would be like owning the original mona lisa v. a copy. and i was like, but the difference there is... the original, has colors or strokes or flaws or techniques that make it unique to the creation of a great artist. where even the best forgers in the world, can't replicate it exactly. you could for sure still hang up a nice forgery in your house if you didn't care of a Rembrandt or Monet or something, but on some level, somebody could tell it wasn't real. plus the real art is something you can physically hold and touch. with an NFT there's literally no distinction besides you get to say you own the first one. i guess you could display it in your house on a gigantic digital screen and that'd be kinda cool depending on what it is, but you could literally find a super high quality JPEG of it and get to the same place. i think it broke his brain, then he just got mad and changed direction haha.

on the flip side of that though... admiration of expensive or fine art, being totally subjective on what "good" art is, is also something a very small portion of the population care about, so fancy people art's intrinsic value is also questionable sometimes. if I see one more "i'm fancy" person talk about how insightful and amazing Rothko is, i'm gonna throw up on their ballgown. but hey... to each their own. at least with technically amazing artists that capture detail so real it tricks the brain, i respect the ability to see and paint those kinds of things... a giant square on a canvas or a Pollock I just can't fux with. bullshit "art" because the dude was interesting or insane just doesn't do it for me.

6. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I
    I picked up 5 long calls at 50 for mid December expiration. So far so good.

7. Sweatypants

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

And to make matters worse, the original exists on your friggin smatphone! Its digital, just like crypto! Dopes. Reminds me of this dude I know... about 20 years ago he had $5 coins made with his face on them and some other BS graphics. He actually was able to pass them off in restaurants, bars, etc by convincing people they were worth the same as the dollar because they contained gold.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I love art, but am totally happy with my The Frame TV looping expensive art. My subscription is $4.99 per month LOL.

Rico888 likes this.
  11. Sweatypants

i do too, but like tattoo'ers, there's so many great artists out there in the world just grinding away, or that haven't gotten some PR person or social media hype behind them, that you can buy plenty of original art that inspires you, makes you think/question something, is aesthetically pleasant to look at, etc... for a few hundred bucks or a few grand. just like tattoos, there's no reason to pay $1k an hour to get tattoo'd by some tv douchebag like something they do is just so far beyond the realm of anyone else. i'm happy for good for artists who get to elevate from being a "starving artist" because their brand takes off, but yea its dumb. even if i had that kinda money, i'd have to find art that was just so technically intricate or amazing or unique that i'd be in awe of how it was even created, or something that literally took hundreds or thousands of hours to make, to justify shelling out money like some of these people do.

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Reminds me of the paintings done by elephants. (Yes, actual gray wrinkly pachyderms) that had ""art critics"" abuzz with bullshitass prose about bold strokes and composition.

It was a fuckin elephant with a damn jug of paint you pretentious nitwit.

EDIT: Maybe it was a chimp. I swear I thought it was about elephants.
    https://www.ladbible.com/funny/awes...by-a-monkey-was-real-avant-garde-art-20160222

13. Sweatypants

i follow an australian shepherd on instagram that does paintings like that with special paint brushes that she can bite and paint with that look like T-handles. some of them are pleasing to look at for sure. but they're also like $100 and money gets donated to dog charity haha.

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

This is why Da Vinci is what he is. Technically, amazing. There's a great book out about why the Renaissance came about (new wealth, capitalism) and the parallels with today's digital world and BS wealth and what it enables.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

That's actually pretty cool if the money does go to charities. I would buy one.

BigBird likes this.
  16. Sweatypants

BigBird, YamahaRick and motion like this.
  17. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can see NFT working on is digital used games and in store purchases. Currently you buy a digital game and download it and that’s it. No one else can own it. Fucking criminal to ask same $$ as the hard copies.
    If NFT marketplace is setup. Imagine being able to sell your digital copies of games, or those in game things, or some things you ground for weeks to get. Currently other than some gray markers within games you have no way to monetize that stuff. NFTs would allow that.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Pollock over Rothko, 8 days a week based personal preference.
    If I donate blood, I might get to 1/1000th of an ownership stake in the Pollock.

If you want crazy, I'll see your Pollock and raise you a Basquiat.
    [​IMG]

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sweatypants likes this.
  20. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Pollack sucks