Will “Normal” Truck Prices Ever Return?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 23, 2021.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id be curious as to how much appreciation happened on the "wholesale" side of things. Lots of new vehicle dealers that take older trades make more selling them off at auction to the Buy Here pay Here set. Especially when they have a car hauler trailer full.

2. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

You need to realize YOU [the general public that is] are actually the problem, not the manufactures. They are charging that much because you people are willing to pay that much. Stop buying trucks and eventually when they all sit around unsold the prices will drop. That's how the economy works.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Biting my tongue...

4. vfrket

vfrket Lost Member

Don't. It's not healthy. Breath in and let loose...

5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Well, @bored&stroked sort of has a point... I'd like to have a newer truck, but I'm refusing to pay the asking prices, so I'll just stick with my 2005 for at least a few more years. Not sure why everyone is buying new trucks right at this very moment in time. I mean, there are such things as vacations that don't involve a truck and camper.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Its a Dodge, so they were worried it would blow up before a sucke....errr customer could buy it. :D

Spooner and MachineR1 like this.
  7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I have exact same truck. I just saw one sell here (Sarasota Florida area) at $60k.

Bought mine for $42,000 3 years ago.

Tempted to sell but I would still want a truck and I live this truck.

crazy times.

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

March of last year I was contemplating selling my truck and buying a ZL1 Camaro. 48-51k ish OTD. Today the same car is $65k-70k$

I’ll wait, I don’t “need” it yet lol

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Maybe we’re missing some of the nuance but I agree. I want to finish my smoker build, but I need a 4x8 plate of 1/4” steel… $420. Yeah, no. Steel is 3 times what it was last year. I could afford to just go get it, but I’m not gonna participate in this nonsense for an item I don’t ‘need’. Same deal for the elevated hunting blinds I was going to put together this summer. A 400 dollar project is now north of a grand. No thanks, I’ll hunt my old shit.

casjoker and Rebel635 like this.
  10. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

Doing the same type of thing in Kansas City with the F-150.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Not in the short term. Ask OPEC or any other cartel/monopoly.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

People, in general, are Lemmings. It's monkey see, monkey do. Hey, there's a run on RVs? I need one too! Oh, by the way, what's a RV used for? Not quite the same as the toilet paper fiasco but you get the idea. Stoke the fire with lots of "free" cash and watch the ensuing stampede.

baconologist and crashman like this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

But...but...but...

It’s SHINY!

[​IMG]

14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Well, when customers are having to spend 6-10 grand to put engines in 50,000 mile trucks, new trucks have to be at least 5 times that!
    LOL

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I bought my truck early April and got all the discounts and incentives (about 6k off msrp) but that was it. The hardest part was finding what I wanted. I guess I got it just in time

16. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I picked up my 2017 Ram Power Wagon (71k miles) for $42k this spring... its sticker new was just over $62k.
    Now I am seeing used Power Wagon around my year being asked for over $60k!!!

17. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I ordered a brand new truck on 3/31, picked it up last Monday. Got 20% under MSRP.

I had hoped to buy a four or five year old truck for half of new, but even before the pandemic truck values were really strong.

I hope to make a little bit of it up selling my old truck, I did make up a little bit selling my old daily driver.

I had to do a factory order to get the savings.

The only thing I’m a bit disappointed with, is that I had to buy new and also had to buy a higher trim line then I really wanted. Because of the microchip shortage, they removed adaptive cruise control from the other models.

my current truck is 20 years old, so I suppose it’s OK to splurge every 20 years.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I'm going to continue to try to get another 20 out of mine.

Sabre699 likes this.
  19. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I intend to be carried to the funeral home in the bed of my current truck, but I'm just a cheapskate. My old truck reliably does what I need it to do, so why change? Plus, it's EMP proof. While y'all are running from zombies, I'll be motoring over them.

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My plow truck qualifies as an antique. I'd have to take the 4 photos the state wants from a 1/4 mile away....