Anyone use a Google Nest thermostat? Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Jun 3, 2021.

1. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Agree. I have left the auto learning on but if we don’t walk by it, it will think we’re not home and go into eco mode. I have to check it on the weekends all the time to keep it in “home” mode. This is my biggest bitch about it.

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Turn 2.4ghz back on, assign it a different SSID than your 5Ghz, then hide it. Now you can use any tstat you want :p

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It helped us save money and generally be happier with the temperature in our home- but I think any programmable thermostat would do that. My wife likes it hot, I like it cold, so on nights when I'm on trips (weekly) I can go on my phone and modify the temp- she doesn't like technology and will just put sweats on at night and not touch it.

I can also pre cool the house when I'm coming home late and want to go right to bed. The away feature keeps the AC from running like crazy when we're not home.

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but FL in the summer the thing can run all day / night if you're trying to keep it really cool- and it gets expensive.

4. black knight

black knight Well-Known Member

I had a bunch of trouble with my Nest until I installed a true 5 wire set-up. They will tell you can grab voltage from the other wires, but there needs to be a dedicated power wire and all is well. It does work well and much better than the old school mercury switch we had before. Our system was installed originally in '95 so it was out dated, I would imagine newer systems are set up with the proper wiring. I ended up having to run about 30 feet of that from the wall location to the air handler and after that it worked great.

5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Cogent, concise, thoroughly explained.

You must be in tech support.

:D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

Honeywell is a joke. dont get them.

the Nest is ok. i have a crap load of their products at home. what are you looking to know?

7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Maybe some of their residential/ Home Depot type models have problems but overall Honeywell is by far the most reliable stat we use in our commercial bldgs. They do have one stat we got away from T6 because they are total shit. I have a 8 year old 8000 WiFi in my cabin that’s great. Any brand can have an oops

8. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I’ve had one for a few years. I’ve had ZERO issues with it. Works really well in our small ranch style house plus they look kinda cool. It’s nice to adjust the a/c or heat from the bed and make sure it’s not too hot or cold for the dog when we’re not home. We just use it as a WiFi programmable thermostat. I’ve never tried to use any of the “smart” features.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I can find absolutely no justification for them or the need to explain why you shouldn't be putting them in your house...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    sheepofblue likes this.
  10. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

I installed an eco bee when we built. Thought it might be kind of interesting to see the generated run reports and see how efficient the new house was. Didn't know you won't get any reports if you have another heat source. I have a free standing wood stove and get it cranking and the temp exceeds the stat temp so I get no reports. So it's a nice looking stat I can control with my phone. Could have accomplished the same thing w a wifi enabled Honeywell.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I have a brand new one in the box, I haven't hooked up - for sale, if anyone wants.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That there's another example of why I don't want/need computerized control of my life. They always seem to think they know better, inevitably causing me aggravation and making me totally unsatisfied.
    Don't want/need it in my cars, don't need/want it attached to my phone, etc...blah-blah-blah.
    "But it has shiny buttons, flashy lights, this cool screen and I can talk to it when I'm not home!"
    Good for you...now STFU.

We have old school thermostats. Wanna know how to make them run things efficiently? Set the heat lower than you want and put on some clothes, or set the AC higher than you want and take some clothes off - whichever the case may be.
    In our house, it's set it and forget it. Lower level heat is set at 68º, upper level at 65º; AC is set at 76º. I never have a need to touch 'em unless I simply want to turn them off. Infrequently to rarely to never, I will adjust the settings higher or lower. I prolly do that quicker on foot than if I had to plow through an app's menu on a phone.
    Same goes for app driven lighting, blinds/shades, alarms...and who in their right mind would want to give an hackable device control of their dwelling?
    That's like telling someone a secret in a crowded room. Noooo...no one heard a thing. Yeah, right.
    That shit is mostly just a money grab preying on your vanity. So, what's the point of relinquishing control of your life to a computer? So you can pay for a service that does nothing substantive?

You know how people become wealthy? They don't buy bullshit...they sell it.

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  13. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I like ours, especially with the remote pod. Can control the heat upstairs much better. I like the app as someone else said, have it off while on vacay and turn it on when we land.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have a Honeywell myself that works fine. My issue is the wife. I told her this is going on soon...

[​IMG]

scottn, Boman Forklift and pjdoran like this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I am betting you have not paid to have an open mic installed in your house either :beer:

In Your Corner and fastfreddie like this.
  16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

pm me a price on that if you really wanna get rid of it. Just got another rental and will need one soon. Thanks .

17. Venom51

Correct....

OldSchlPunk likes this.
  18. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t owning a cell phone do the same thing?

19. Venom51

Only if you don't put it face down into something soft when you aren't using it and keep their stupid voice assitant shit disabled. And I do mean disabled as in root into the phone and set to not be executable. I don't even turn the GPS radio on unless I am actively using it for navigation.

OldSchlPunk, terminus est and bleacht like this.
  20. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Gotcha. The people who are very anti-Echo or Siri crack me up. You’re the exception but most people don’t seem to realize the phone is always listening.