1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use a Google Nest thermostat? Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Jun 3, 2021.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Biggest thing I'm wondering is, do they really save you a noticeable amount of electricity per month? Any known issues with them? On Amazon they mostly have 5 stars, but there are a bunch of 1 star reviews as well. Not much in between lol I just want a thermostat that I can program a weekly schedule...don't really care about anything else, but if I can control it from an app, that's a plus.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Honeywell Lyric.

3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

No. I have one and hate it.

Honeywell FTW

sbk1198 likes this.
  4. sbk1198

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What do you hate about it? I have one, and while I don't think it changed my life, it doesn't do anything wrong. It's a fancy, programmable thermostat. It does what I tell it to do. Does yours not do that? It replaced a "dumb" thermostat that had a clunky interface that I couldn't control from my phone, so maybe my scale is off?

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

All I know about the nest is we get calls to replace them pretty often. I’m a fan of Honeywell 8000

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

evakat and sbk1198 like this.
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What breaks?

9. sbk1198

Ahhh, the T6? I was just looking at that one as well as a couple of other Honeywell ones. Problem I'm seeing with all of them (for my situation specifically) is that they only run on 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and unfortunately I only have 5 GHz network at my new place. I need to do some more digging and see what other models out there work with 5 GHz networks. I think the Nest does.

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My new HVAC came with a NEST. I have had it for just over a year and it works fine for me.

11. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I switched from a Honeywell standard to a nest. It doesn’t make a noticeable difference in your bill. I like the features tho, and how it’s not lit up unless you walk by it. I like to think because you can program it to go into away mode and as soon as you get home it’ll cut back on which in theory should save money. I just didn’t see my bill drop any crazy amount when I compare last years power bill to the current ones.

sbk1198 likes this.
  12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've had a couple. I like em. They look cool.

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I don't like some of the auto programming that the Nest does, but I really do like having it. I'm not sure it saves me much money other than when going on vacation we can leave it nearly off, then turn it on a few hours before we get back home.

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Don't put much stock in amazon reviews. Google amazon review scams.

15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

You have a single band 5 GHz router? Hmmmmm.

16. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

What is the situation where you only have 5 GHz? I don't think I've seen that before. All routers still dish up both 2.4 and 5 as far as I've seen.

17. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I hated the auto programming that it did, so I turned it off. Now I just use it as straight programmable. Put it on a schedule to turn it down a couple degrees before going to bed and up a couple degrees during the day.

cBJr likes this.
  18. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I think with Netgear you can select/deselect the frequency bands but in this case (or any other) why would you?

19. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

No...

fastfreddie likes this.
  20. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

if you have to have a "connected" t-stat, i prefer to tell customers to get an ecobee.

however, for commercial applications, we sell and install Pelican or Venstar for wifi enabled stats.