1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are animals self-aware?

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, May 10, 2021.

1. Does a cow know he is a cow? Does he know what he looks like? How does he know I’m not a cow?

On one hand, I think animals must not be self-aware. Like the little shitass Shit-zu that thinks it’s the baddest thing on Earth, or the 150lb Rottweiler that is scared of a kitten.

And how a bigass cow that could easily run me over if he wanted to, will get scared and run away. He must not know how big and strong he is.

But on the other hand, I think there must be some sense of self-awareness, because the wild cow will run from me, but won’t run away from other cows. So he must know that I don’t look like him, and they do.

If animals don’t use mirrors, how do they know what they look like? How do they know I look different than them?

SpeedyE likes this.
  2. Phl218

Phl218 .

crashman and BHP41 like this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

A lot of the research tests for animal intelligence are "passed" by primates, cetaceans, some dogs, some cats, some birds, and few monkeys. The rest of the animals are dumb dumb.

4. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

Hmmm, never thought much about this but there are a few things going on. Prey know they're prey and I think that is why that might run away from you, but there are predator's that will run away from you as well, foxes, coyotes, etc. With the dogs that I have had I have wondered if they know what they look like, I have some mirrors placed low on the wall so I think over time they see themselves and figure it out... a non-domestic animal might see their reflection in water when getting a drink over and over and figure it out? Some animals are smarter than others, who knows.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He is not a cow. He is a bull. Other than that, he is just thinking "I want to fuck that cow over there if that no haired pasty white creature will look the other way."

Hawk518 likes this.
  6. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

I think cows are really stupid but they sure taste damn good

969 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Because it can see other cows?

And don't give yourself too much credit: if you'd been raised by baboons in the savanna, you would fling poo and would have no idea that you could have learned English in a different life.

8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

What meds do the docs still have you on?

notbostrom and Phl218 like this.
  9. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

YES!!!!!!! They all self aware. They all want to LIVE. They all exhibit dog & human emotions/chemical-dumps under the right circumstances/situations.
    Their lives are IMPORTANT to THEM!!!!!
    <3

You GOOD Person, Broome! <3

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Mmmmm hamburgers

[​IMG]

11. SpeedyE

The only wild Missouri animals I have not tackled/grabbed, would not tackle grab w/out gear/equipment is #1 Mountain Lion, #2 Med/Large B Bear, #3 Bobcat!!!!!!!! BOBCAT small BUT F you up!!!!

Here is a WILD bobcat giving me a kiss, as it is rehabbing from injury among its new friends.... They are no different than your dogs and cats, once removed from wild. They are same as you/me..... THINK
    Cant find pic!

Here is pic of wild Badgwer given me hug while he being taken care of by his new trusted friends.
    53043151_10217873874262339_684593395863126016_n.jpg

THINK b4 you discard them as 'nothing' important. They as important as YOU!

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Gorilla George likes this.
  12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That badger is thinking, if it weren't for the free food I would eff this guy up.

13. SpeedyE

LOL.

When you would try and leave his walk-in cage, he wouldnt want you to leave, he still want cuddles/play, he would grab your leg and almost trip you down. I seen him grab legs of chicks and they fell, he was So strong!!!!
    <3 ' d HIM!!!!!! He was super sweet angel. He went back to the wild :)
    One day in the wild, is better than a lifetime in a cage :)

Pixelator likes this.
  14. stangmx13

There is no way that cows, pigs, and chickens know how good they taste.

Hawk518 and StaccatoFan like this.
  15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Animals are not self aware. They are only concerned with survival, and to a far lesser degree, comfort and reproduction.

There have been plenty of studies but the interpretation of the data unfortunately says more about the ideology of the researchers than it does about the science.

Very few animals exhibit behavior that suggests an understanding of anything above the second tier of Maslow’s pyramid. I’d argue that self awareness is only realized at the top, esteem and self-actualization.

Hawk518, Pixelator and SuddenBraking like this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

But does an octopus? Mmmmmm. Pulpo.

SpeedyE likes this.
  17. stangmx13

I think some cephalopods are occasional cannibals. And some are pretty smart. So they probably know.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't know about that.
    I've never seen a cow eat a chicken but pigs and chickens will eat a chicken.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. SpeedyE

I love you Braun, but BS!
    They exhibit the same brain chemical dumps as humans. Guess what, humans are super IQ'd animals w thumbs. We just super smart animals.
    If IQ determines worth, throw all human low IQ babies, and special needs babies off cliff.
    You could have an IQ of 200, and if you a whale, porpoise, squid, etc.....not much you can do to change your situation, do to your physical build.
    We ALL fight care about survival. Each generation of human get farther away from true wilderness survival....now if your cable or internet go out, you think you gonna die. We have created a world were we all live in silk bubbles.
    Go back 500 years and live in the woods. You live same as the animals around you.
    We ALL the same, underneath the skins.

I wish that scumbag conartist Joe Rogan have me on to debate him when his sociopathic side come out and he start taking bad about animals, trying to justify his psycho blood lust.....I verbally/debate SHRED that fuck on air/podcast

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I spent about four hours the other day watching octopus videos, they are fascinating creatures.

Montoya and SpeedyE like this.