1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

2xidb!

Whatever happened to her?

2. wiggeywackyo

wiggeywackyo Well-Known Member

10 kids? :crackup:

Everyone else pretending like they didn't see it or know.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Anyone jump back into GME? I did... :D This stock is so crazy lol

+52% as of 3pm

The entire BoD are about to be replaced woo hoo!

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Hell to the no... didn't jump back in at $40, see no reason to now

BigBird likes this.
  5. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

Bought back in a few shares before earnings just in case they announced something wild and the stock took off. I planned to average down every day this week thinking it was likely going to tank (it's plummeted after earnings every quarter for years). My average is now ~$160, so I guess I'm not averaging down anymore :D

thrak410 likes this.
  6. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

You really hate money?

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

root of all evil! or is that Gingers...?

8. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

GME at it again..

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

[​IMG]

well....

YamahaRick and The Great One like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

and down at it again.

Gambling at its finest.

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

it's the stock market :Poke:

:D

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

FTFY

Phl218 likes this.
  13. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Guys heads up. Somethings is up. Goldman just liquidated a hedge funds position for margin call and in the process tanked a fee blue chip stock prices. Check out ViacomCBS and Discovery. Massive drop. Some are speculating this is due to Fed not extending the supplementary lending ratio that was relaxed during covid. Ie institutions were allowed to increase their lending multiplier to add liquidity to the market during covid. Seems some institutions used it to over leverage themselves.
    If this is a bigger issue then just a few HF (I guarantee you it is, it explains this massive stock market surge last 6 months) and the Fed doesn’t extend this SLR leeway, a ton of banks will be margin calling their customers who will liquidate stocks to get liquidity back.

HPPT likes this.
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I'm not very bright. What does this mean for the average American with a 401k and some other "general investments"? Is this a time to buy, hold, sell, or start burying cash in coffee cans in the back yard?

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Well, its a complicated answer. Lets just look into whats happening and maybe you can decide on what to do with that info. Money Makers, AKA, banks that are bankrolling these Hedge Funds and Investment companies allowed them to over leverage them during the covid. As per Feds authority. So if they have a say 10-1 lending ratio, if a Hedge Fund has 10 billion investment portfolio, they will have up to 10x that lent from the bank. So they have 100 billion in the market, Invested in whole bunch of different things. Stocks, bonds, options both short and long (puts and asks). They fully expected Fed to extend this SLR rule for the forseable future. I mean, when has Fed actually throttle the market? Well it expires on the 31st of March and Fed has neither confirmed nor denied that they'll extend it.

So, theoretical number, the leverage ratio now goes to 8-1 or 6-1. The Money Makers looking at the Hedge Funds going "fuck, if they get themselves in a tough position, they are already over leveraged and now by the rules, if they fail, we wont get paid"

So Money Makey asks the HF add liquidity to their portfolio to meet the new ratio rule. They have two options....raise more capital, or liquidate their positions. Its called a Margin call, and if youre investing into stock options you can be margin called by your broker as well. Sometimes they'll just automatically do the choosing for you. They'll simply sell off part of your portfolio to meet the margin. Why would they do this? If they believe your portfolio is at risk.

So now that we know WHY its happening, lets look at the repercussions. If most institutions maxed themselves out during the SLR time period (and why wouldnt they?) that means this new rule will require a lot of them to deleverage themselves. Most will have to liquidate their positions. Massive sell off...these people work on a huge scale and their sell off will have massive impact on the stock market.

So, knowing this, and just how unstable the market has been for the last month, where the slights news is making it jump up and down 5%, i cant see this as being a positive thing. Many insitutions may just sell their position while at the peak and wait until the market settles down.

Imagine you had $ in what was deemed a stable stock like Discovery or Viacom and you just lost 6 months worth of gains in a single 30 min period....

Personally, im pulling some positions out for now.. see what shakes out. Stuff that im almost breaking even on, might as well pull it out, stuff that im deep in the red, no point pulling money out.

sill'r B sill'd, BigBird and motion like this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

“Honey, call our broker and tell him ‘SELL SELL SELL’ and do it NOW!!!!”

“What’s the matter? What’d you hear?!?”

“Well, it’s not good. Rebel635 says we’re in for a reckoning.”

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

Official wording for having to cover for shorting GME

:D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  18. BigBird

BigBird blah