1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

you got a benz...which one and why? only benz worth anything was a Chyrsler Town and Country

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's awesome the amount you owe on your house. I hope to get that low or paid off before I die. :D

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

GME at 40...about to paper hands and just move on.

sdiver likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

"buy high, sell low"
    [​IMG]

Phl218, thrak410 and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

seems to be the story of my life....

6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My dumb ass had 2 paid-off houses and 2 paid-off vehicles 12 months ago, but now I have 400+K on the new mortgage and a shitload of cash that I'm paralyzed on what I should do with. At my & my wife's age, we can't afford to lose a big chunk.

If I woulda put it all on any of the aforementioned stocks, I would've been able to pay off the damn house.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.......

At least I still get to drive around and play with dogs all day. If I lost all that, I'd have to go get a real job.

BigBird likes this.
  7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Find a good financial dude, give him 200k and walk away.

He will pay all of your bills.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Id like to formally apologize to you guys. Markets been taking a nose dive and I take the blame. After years of sitting on the fence about investing I decided to dive in exactly two weeks ago.

We might as well get ready for the financial collapse.

lol

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Every time I feel this way, I remind myself that losing money angers and hurts me more than earning money makes me happy and better off.

10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

For some reason I always thought you were an engineering type. The problem is the verbiage. We should stop using nomenclature that has a specific meaning if it doesn’t apply to the situation. If you call an unrealized depreciation of equities a “loss”, that implies something that may not be accurate since a loss in common usage means a realized loss. It’s accurate to say that your financial position and buying power are reduced in said scenario.

BigBird likes this.
  11. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I don’t agree. Current asset prices are driven by insanely low interest rates and the invention of bajillions in funny money. This is also what’s propping up the economy. This can go on for a very long time, and definitely will. The government can’t afford the debt service for its deficits at a reasonable level of interest and will keep this situation going as long as possible to avoid the stark realities. Eventually we’ll face the music, but we can avoid it for now. Get in and make money, then buy some hard non-financial assets.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Nah, accounting and finance majors. Not smart enough for engineering. :D
    To be honest, my "dream" would have been the 5-year Management & Technology program at my school (that's what Elon Musk was doing when we were there) but you have to get in as a freshman. I transferred.

BigBird likes this.
  13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Huh? A loss in common usage means a realized loss? Maybe that's part of the problem.

In any type of financial setting, really only certain aspects of tax accounting would look at it that way.

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I just pulled some of my stock market "winnings" out from last year and "invested" in a CNC machine for my garage last night. The stock market was fun and all, but when it comes to investing I like investing in myself, and things that I know. And I know how to make chips and machine stuff. The rate of return is potentially much greater too!

15. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Did you get a mini van so you can carry all your investing profits around with you :clap::D

BigBird likes this.
  16. BigBird

BigBird blah

those my investments and my twins would be debits at this point.

17. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Ahh.. creative accounting! , I see :D

BigBird likes this.
  18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

This week has made me want to cry. Everything I have gained this year has pretty much been wiped out. A few things I thought would of taken off have drastically gone the wrong way. but hey, I haven't sold my losses yet so according to some I haven't loss yet. :clap:

Rebel635, Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That sucks when schools/programs do that. Tyler lost out on some college school program he wanted in because he transferred after his first year too. The frat he wanted in was only taking freshman, but told him on the side after they get their freshman selections, they would probably be able to get a sophomore in too. He decided not to wait and possibly make it and just selected another frat that didn't have the freshman only recruitment policy.

tony 340 likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What did you "invest" in?