1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

with these pump and dump schemes, it's not so easy. it ends up tanking the underlying stock.

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Stay away from them. So many more good companies out there to invest in. Trying to catch a rocket on the way up isn't investing, it's gambling. Wall street insiders are "the house" and same as Vegas, the house always wins. Yeah, you might get lucky and hit payday, but the vast majority of the time you'll get completely slaughtered.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Unfortunately, I've quickly learned that =(

I was also talking about ETF, etc that may hold the underlying asset, and usually hold a lot of it.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It wasn't criticism of you. I was actually backing your warning to people.

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

I've never lost a single dime on stocks. Most of what I've traded is self directed IRA money. I've always bet the whole amount on a single stock, over and over and made great returns. But I'd doubt that the returns match the massive risk. Why? I was certain that I'd be dead before I would reach the age to begin taking the IRA out, so why not roll the dice?

But I have lost on other "investments". Our District Attorney, a lifetime family friend, screwed a bunch of us.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reasonable theory, but can you cite proof?

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have a feeling this stock will peak end of February and come crashing down. Once the lawsuit or settlement is announced hopefully it will bounce up and thats when I plan to get out. I just dont see this as long term. Its weird as the market has been red these past 2 days but somehow HCMC has held and even gained. There is so much buzz around this stock right now, its going to crash for sure. I really need it to get to .01 so I can get out and make something. We are halfway there. Once this market turns green prob on Monday it should start to climb with the market.

My VPER stock was screaming up. Huge return for me. Its dropped pretty good the last 3 days and I am hoping this trend bounces back or 50% of my gains will be gone. Been holding a grip of this stock since 2014. Its so hard to know when to sell something. GRRRR

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

9. Tristan

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

sorry. you're right. that was just bad management

How is an ETF value created? isn't based on it's holdings?

"An ETF consists of two componenets : stocks and weightage of each stock.
    Assuming the ETF tracks the average of the 5 stock prices you bought and equal weightage was given to each stock , an increase in 20% in any one of the five stocks will cause the price of the ETF to increase by 4% also
    "

So wouldn't a pump/dump on an underlying stock or even many stocks in one sector, depending on the ETF, affect the price?

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Speaking of investments - bought a new property today. Close in about 30 days.....FUCK wall street and that nonsense....I'm sticking to sticks and bricks.

12. Tristan

Yes, but you're saying the end result of the pump/dump is a devalued/damaged stock. I could certainly see an ETF taking a hit if a bunch of a "pumped" stock was purchased at it's inflated price and not unloaded in time. Kind of makes a case for not trusting a fund manager and doing your own DD...

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

congrats!

the one with the shooting range in the making? or was that somebody else?

14. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was me. I passed on that piece of property after going out and looking at it....would not have been safe and guy wasn't willing to negotiate at all.

The property today is an addition to my rental portfolio.

Phl218 and motion like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

so it goes back to my original link with the retirement funds....see how it all fits together ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  16. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Oh I've got plenty of losers lol... I'm down $1200 on GME right now (duh) .. down $50 or so in Tesla, down $30 in OCGN, down $800 still in GNUS... I could go on and on :p The goal (for me) is, no reason to sell and lock in the losses. A lot of the ones I'm down large on I expect to rise again. :) (I"m an eternal optimist)

BigBird likes this.
  17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Except active managers have consistently gotten their butts kicked by SP500.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

And as an investor you lose not only the delta between your active manager's attainment, you also lose the fee that they extract...
    Double loss.

Can't beat the lowest cost index funds available in the long run...

19. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I'm up 144 on dogecoin keep it?

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

i saw the price dip to .054 to .068 in a matter of a minute. i'm not sold on cyrpto as it's very outlaw, and lots of coordinated pump and dumps are happening. That being said, however you feel is the best way.