I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I don't really want to start a separate thread for this, but if anyone can give me a quick summary on all the equipment needed to get into loading ammo, I'd appreciate that. I've looked a bit into it but found all sorts of info on the web. Like with most things I'm sure that there are different levels depending on how much and how quick you want to do it, quality of equipment, how many calibers you plan on loading, etc. and can easily spend like $20k on everything. But I'm just looking for what's the bare minimum to get started. I'm not looking to turn my garage into an ammo production facility, and I have more time than money, so I just want a setup that will allow me to load rifle ammo without needing to be too quick. Realistically if I can do like 50 rounds on a Saturday or Sunday I'm totally fine with that.

2. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Yep the fear of a tp shortage is what caused the damn tp shortage.

What aggravates me is people stockpiling that don't even have an effective method of storage so their shit's gonna be corroded and damp in a year when they don't shoot it. :mad:

sbk1198 and Gorilla George like this.
  3. redtailracing

Yea, 55 is kinda zippy up close but that's about it and a few hundred yards out, heavier stuff is moving faster. I've honestly never found 55 that I particularly liked. Heavier weight may continue to show improvements for you, depending on your twist rate. Know what yours is? And heavier stuff just seems to be higher quality.

Hornady Superformance Match 75gr has been absolute money for me so far. Still moving 1450fps at 600 yards and my noob ass was getting some 1.5 moa groups with it on a 10x scope. It's been my favorite so far. But it's also a bit pricy and difficult to find. Really want to try to Black Hills Mk262 but have yet to find any.

4. redtailracing

I wanted to do it before all this Covid shit but now it would just be doubling the supplies I have to stay on the lookout for. Not to mention even finding the equipment to get started seems difficult right now. So I'll just wait to see if/when things get back to normal first :)crackup: ha! he said "back to normal"). But when I was researching it, the hornady ammo plant setup seemed to be a pretty damn good off the shelf kit and everyone I talked to seemed to agree. Most guys like piecing together their own system but I wanted something that was all one kit and stupid simple for a noob like me and that seemed to be the ticket. And they have different levels of the kit. I think you can pretty much get started for around $500 plus dies or you can continue to add fancy bolt ons like autofeeders and such all the way up to around $1500.

sbk1198 likes this.
  5. redtailracing

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

https://www.mcmaster.com/

This place is my go to for all tooling and metal supplies.

I shoot the cheap shit out of my AR at matches due to cost and that was long before the shortage. I would buy 20 round boxes of all the really low price crap and compare. You’d be surprised at the brands that would beat “ name brand “ ammo. Fiocchi 55GR FMJ BT a year ago was 28 cents a round and will shoot .5 MOA out of my 18” stag and 16” Faxon. 55 gr hornady out of my 18” windham is even better.
    Twist rate and weight matter but I was blown away by what a difference that was made by just switching brands.

7. redtailracing

There is definitely some truth to this. I've been very happy with Fiocchi, Hornady's Frontier line, IMI, and Ammo, Inc. for example and they're all reasonably priced. But it can be very hit or miss. Magtech is priced similarly and complete junk. Also haven't been very impressed with Remington's lower end stuff though I've heard their hunting ammo is decent. Just gotta play around with different ones and see what works. Within the first few hundred yards, mine seems to not care between green tip and 73-77gr. but getting out past 500, there seems to be a sudden noticeable difference.

8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll look into that! A ready made kit is even better! I'm in the same boat...definitely new to loading so I don't know much about it, but I want to learn because I'm trying to get a bit more serious about long range shooting and in the future do some precision matches. All that stuff takes time, so I want to start loading, testing different loads and bullets, so I can be better prepared when I get into it. So far I've just been shooting for fun, up to 1000 yards, 6.5 creedmoor Hornady American Gunner BTHP and ELD Match ammo, all 140g. I've tried a few others but settled on the Hornady. I'm a bit of a Hornady fan, mainly because I've toured their plant and it's like 25 minutes away from my parents' house :)

Should've known that they would have a kit for people to get into loading since they invented that stuff! That was their bread and butter when the company was started. If I can get a kit for under $1000 and then just need to buy the bullets, powder, and primers, then I'm totally sold! I've already been saving up the brass cuz at first I started selling them knowing that I can get some of my money back. I didn't really care about loading my own before because I was buying the BTHP 6.5 creedmoor ammo for about $0.75/round and I was selling the brass for like $0.30, so the cost was pretty low overall and I knew I wouldn't be going through a ton of rifle ammo like other people. But now I regret not doing it a year ago. Should've invested in the equipment back then and just bought a bunch of bullets, powder and primers when I had the chance and supply was plentiful.

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Shipping ammo is easy
    print out the logo I've attached and attach it to the side of the box. Take it to a UPS customer center, not a UPS store, and ship it. No added fees or anything. I shipped some 6.5 creed to Texas for about $15 yesterday. Tell them it's small arms cartridges and they'll ask if it's smaller than 50 cal. say yes and you're good to go

Attached Files:

10. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

It’s better to start out with a clapped out Sv than jump on the 1k and wonder what went wrong.

A used Rockchucker will do about anything you want to do.

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

For reloading just go to Dillon Precision and buy the RL 550C with the caliber kit you want to reload. Buy the Barnes reloading book to get starting points for powder and depth. Also get a powder scale to verify consistent charges are dropping. A primer flipping tray is nice to have if you are planning on loading a lot. A precision caliper is an absolute must to set COL.

Plan on taking a few hours to setup a caliber. The great thing with the Dillon presses is that you can pull the whole tool assembly off the press complete with powder loaded and stick it on a stand. You can reload multiple calibers by simply swapping out the tool assembly and changing the base plates if needed. Case lube is a must for rifle cartridges and a good thing for pistol. Unlubricated bottle neck cases don't like it dry.

Now the hard part will be finding primers, brass, and bullets. I used whatever primers were available, Starline Brass, and Vihtavuori powder, and Bayou Bullets -- red for 9mm and gold for 40. . A vibratory brass cleaner is nice to have.

Good luck finding anything listed above in stock anywhere.

I found out on Sunday that my ex sold my complete setup without asking me. FML.

Oh, random range brass for reloads -- be careful as you don't know how often it's been shot already. 9mm is OK to reload imo. Rifle brass from random people at the range, hell no.

sbk1198 likes this.
  12. Speaking of which, a few days ago when I split that 300 rounds between those guns, there was a dude there the whole time.

I noticed he was shooting fairly quickly/often at first, then he was just standing around, randomly shooting a token round every now and then.

Then when I got done and grabbed the broom, he said he would sweep up all the brass if I would let him have some of it.

I told him if he would sweep it up, he could have all of it. Haha. I wasn’t gonna keep it anyway, so basically I got my brass swept up for nothing. :D

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Go to Ace Hardware. They have one of the best fasteners sections and it's like $0.03/bolt.
    Buy 20 of each Flathead type in the right pitch.

Or go here:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/scr...8-stainless-steel-hex-drive-flat-head-screws/
    Packages of 50 count.
    Just make sure you know the M-size, thread pitch and length.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

By far, the best reason for reloading is making a highly accurate load for each one of your guns. EVERY gun is different. For precision rifles, it's a requisite IMO. Changing so many things like powder, bullet, brass, and especially COL (cartridge overall length) make such massive differences.

sbk1198 and Jed like this.
  15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

If you're really serious about reloading, PM me and I'll go over all the details. There's a lot to discuss.

16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

As far as people showing up at stores, I really think it's mostly people that don't know any better. They KNOW a shipment will be showing up, so they line up. Then, you have people like me, that know a hundred places to watch and even how to get in on bot notifications. That's not the average buyer. Personally, the only thing I'll buy anymore is decent deals on 22. The rest I make. Everyone has their own standard for how many rounds they're comfortable with. I have enough to hunt for every type of animal I can hunt for, for the rest of my life.

17. No shit. There’s an Ace Hardware like right there; I could damn near throw a rock at it. I didn’t know they had nuts and bolts.

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I hit mine up when I build my street Aprilia Mille from a spare motor & chassis. Had every nut, screw, washer and bolt I could ever want.
    https://www.parkrosehardware.com/

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

For rifles I agree 100%. For pistols, the load isn't the issue with accuracy.

I had a load dialed in for my 6.5x.284 where is was .25 inches at 200 yards off a sandbag. Got it dialed down to the barrel harmonic in .1 grain increments and a dialed in bullet jump / COL.

Pistol wise I was just throwing lead down range trying to hit the A zone on the silhouettes as fast as possible. Any issues with accuracy were on me. I fired a fair share of squibs during my early days of reloading.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Oh, I had my per round cost to .07 per 9mm and .11 per .40.

Current prices make me cry.

And never shoot any live rounds you find at the range, especially if you are shooting in a match. There's no way to know the condition of the brass or how hot the load is. Chuck the fucker all the way down range into the berm.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    wsmc 589 likes this.