1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diesel owners

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Sep 24, 2020.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

won't matter on these newer engines. for the weight/size he's towing, something isn't right. I wonder if he put bigger tires on the truck.. My 2020 platinum 250 has 3.31 and gets about same mileage if i leave it in 10th gear, or lock out 10th...
    The axle ratios are more about getting a big trailer and/or payload rolling, no so much about towing on the highway. Granted, not towing, you should see a tiny improvement in mpg with a 3.31 vs something in the 3.70's, but all these new trucks are turning well below 2,000 rpm in overdrive no matter the ratios.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

It was a used truck right? Have you checked your filters? My current work truck is a ‘19 with the 6.7, coming from a ‘12 Duramax I’m amazed at the power and the mileage. Running around West Texas at 80 plus I get about 17 empty. I haven’t towed anything worth mentioning so no comparison there.

Clearly manufacturers have figured out how to make power in spite of all the regulations, I think the reliability is finally returning too.

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Your mileage seems way off to me but I have never owned a Ford. A lot of people throw around some pretty remarkable mpg numbers. I tow a similar weight with my 2016 Duramax. 65ish and under around 12.5-13. 72-77 usually 10.5-11. Unloaded on the HWY 17-18 running 85-90 The truck is stock. I had an 06 Duramax with a tuner and exhaust system no emissions stuff in the o6. If I remember correctly I don't think I saw even a 2mph improvement. There was a significant grin factor improvement though.

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

dpf back exhaust mod is purely for looks, the cats, dpf are all in place, wont add or subtract anything. with that said, i despised the gm rear exhaust and tip. i cut mine after the dpf, and added an mbrp dual outlet pipe. doesnt affect warranty, or performance.

since you asked about the banks derringer and idash specifically, those leave no trace on the ecm/ecu. they are obd2 driven, you can easily unhook them when going in for service, if you have a service dept who is not hip to banks technologies. the banks stuff is pretty cool, GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR ONE!!! if for any reason something in the banks hardware software fails, the truck reverts to stock, not leaving you stranded. there are safety features built in such as, temperature for oil, & coolant, before you can access the power adders. meaning, until the truck reaches 180-190 the truck is stock, when the temp is at operating parameters, you get full access to the power added.

i have the banks cold air intake, derringer, idash, and pedal commander. well worth the 81 hp on the duramax L5P in my 2017 gmc 2500, being fully CARB, and EPA compliant. i have the pedal commander dial down to between 3 and 5 of the city program, if you go much more the regens are A LOT more frequent, and your fuel consumption goes WAY DOWN, due to how much you play with the fun pedal. having 525 hp at your foot at any given time is pretty awesome, i must say. i run the derringer on 6 most of the time, empty (which is barely at all). when towing anything, i have it set at 3 or 4 (banks recommends 3 for towing, some guys on the forum, myself included, prefer 4).

mine is at the dealer for the engine block heater recall, and the regen re calibration, service bulletins. i just unhooked the obd2 connected banks connector, and tucked it under the dash. out of sight, out of mind.

good luck, Ski

5. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Same. 2001 7.3. Clear coat is flaking though.....

6. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Something seems off Tim. I have the same motor (no mods) And very close to same weight TH (7500 empty/9900 fully loaded). I usually tow at 1900 rpm and get 9.5-10 mpg.
    Far larger issue for me than DEF is the damn Intercooler Outlet tube. Popped 2 in 2 years!

7. cowboy dann

cowboy dann Well-Known Member

Damn , that is horrible mileage. My 2020 Chevy towing my 18k toy hauler gets around 9 mpg

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

What are you driving?

Yes , both. The ex helps with durability also.

2014 Cummins, 25 Hwy, 18 towing a 20 ft trailer.

9. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Dpf is for soot, scr is for nox, two seperate systems.

roy826ex, JJJerry and Ducti89 like this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Wow, thats not good.

11. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Not good. My 12 F250 gets 10.5-11.5 towing my loaded 10k toy hauler. Keep it at 70. Set the cruise and forget it.
    I've not seen any improvement in mileage with the Derringer IDash.

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

my '13 F350 dually crew cab long bed with the 6.7 gets 9.8 per the lie-o-meter pulling 19,000 lb th'er thru the mountains. 17 to 19 empty with no trailer. I think it's pretty accurate based on refueling.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Best bet is to leave it alone. Clean breathing air isn't a bad thing.

The guys with tuners are the dudes that end up needing head studs , trans rebuilds and other bullshit fixed 3 years later.

You're not gonna out engineer the hundreds of engineers that built that truck.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Stock I would imagine.
    Bought it used

15. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

haha this guy! Duramax owners don’t have this issue except the emissions bullshit forced on all of us. Let me correct you on one part of your post, GM trucks don’t stretch head bolts stock. Another correction my truck is not a threat to your breathing smart guy. Shit I could close the garage door and it wouldn’t kill me no quicker than a gas burner.

ignorance is bliss on this subject. If you want to continue to play the game of carrying your truck back to a pos dealership cause the fuckn dash is lit up over a stupid ass emissions sensor gone stupid go right a ahead. Cut that cord and enjoy a real diesel truck and no more trips to the stealership. My truck runs the way it was intended to run 25 years ago. And I ain’t killing no one doing it no more than the asshat driving a gas burner or the racer running MR12 all weekend long. Or the redneck who builds a fire out back of his house.

I hope you don’t vote...

16. vosnick52

There is 35's on the truck and I'm not a fan. Bought it that way
    I want stock ish tires that aren't made for off roading

17. vosnick52

I do have big tires on it and just replaced the cold side turbo hose today with a H&S silicone hose. Heard horror stories about those pipes bursting.

t11ravis likes this.
  18. vosnick52

Well the question is get a extended warranty to 200k miles or delete the truck and take my chances.
    There is a guy in town that deletes diesel trucks

19. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Every vehicle made is under the gun so maybe chill out. China would like to talk to you about this subject btw.

tony 340 likes this.
  20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Well, it is a Furd....
    Pretty easy to out engineer them.
    Everything can be made better and improved upon. Where it gets tricky is changes that are trade offs or excessive.

Should have bought a gas Burner Tim.... For the weight of your trailer it would have done the job just fine and got as good of fuel mileage.
    I would get it back on stock tires and wheels then see how it does. Also make sure you have decent 10ply trailer tires that are properly inflated, that can add to the drag and kill fuel mileage also.