Good Careers to get into?

Discussion in 'General' started by JCP636, Jan 6, 2018.

1. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Damn, so I just thought about this post and figured I’d give an update.

I’ve finally settled in and found a new career that I think I like... In the past 2.5 years I’ve done a ton of traveling and adventure riding around the country, spent a month last winter out west snowboarding, and have in general been living a happy free life.

6 months after I quit my job I took another job as the GM of a logistics company, and it only lasted 8 days. I realized I can’t do the 9-5+ grind anymore. I need more freedom. Last summer, I moved to a little beach town in Florida a block from the beach with my G/F and dog. I have some rentals and I’ve flipped a couple houses in Philly, but the last one drug on forever and was way over budget. Finally settling in a few weeks. I’ve been doing food delivery part time on my Zuma down here at the beach since Covid started. My pre Covid plan was to get my real estate license, and start doing that part time down here. Covid shut all of the testing sites down the week I was scheduled to get my license and then it took a while to reschedule once they reopened.

I finally got my license and started with a brokerage here at the beach last month. I closed my first deal yesterday and I have another one closing in a few weeks as well as some other promising clients. The brokerage is fine with me working as much or as little as I want, and so far it’s been surprisingly fruitful. I never have to be in the office, and pretty much make my own schedule. I’ll be using my license for some more personal real estate investing down here soon as well. All in all it’s a pretty cool gig, and I like using my experience and knowledge to help clients find the right home!

So, the moral of the story is, being a beach bum is way better than working in an office. Also, if anyone wants to buy/sell a house in Pinellas County, hit me up!

cpettit, Wingnut, jrsamples and 8 others like this.
  2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Dog shit business stinks.

But it's picking up...

Ducti89 and dtalbott like this.
  3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Is that on your business card?

4. auminer

Left rear panel.

Other panels have:

#1 in the #2 business.

Your dog's biscuits are our bread & butter

What can we doo for brown

Newyork likes this.
  5. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

You'll need to look up Red Green show for more ... inspiration.

This is Rothschild's septic service:

"When your septics go bad, there's no one to blame. No need to apologize or cower in shame. Call for a pump-out; Rothschild's the name. It beats losing your home in a huge purple flame."

AC1108 likes this.
  6. auminer

Red Green is the shit!

If the women don't find you handsome... They should at least find you handy.
    :crackup:

KneeDragger_c69 and AC1108 like this.
  7. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's cool that's where I was born and lots of my family live there

JCP636 likes this.
  8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You could try the other side of the table and go all Breaking Bad

jrsamples and JCP636 like this.
  9. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I wish I had done it at 33 but I decided it would be a greater challenge at 39 and I love every minute of it! Actually thought about going into the apprenticeship 4 years ago and really regret my decision now. Can't say I've ever been cussed at or appreciated by customers more in my life. The fellas on the contractor side went to New Jersey a few weeks ago and made $115 an hour. I don't know why kids these days, mine included, feel like you don't have to work for your money. Mine laughed at me when I told them I was pissed I had to start school before they did. Little do they know that their old man is making a good chuck of change, beside the $10.09 an hour pay cut I took leaving my position at the plant, and I will never owe a dime for my education. I can also retire at 55 and go with any damn where I please as a lineman. If my son would only show a little more interest in welding.... Pipefitters in the KC area make insane money.

burnham and TurboBlew like this.
  10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Oil&Gas field work (contract work with client or constructor):
    - contract management
    - project controls
    - scheduling

Plenty of service providers looking to place folks.
    Industry is starting to kick off again.
    Monies is good.
    I would be here otherwise.

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Education / experience requirements?

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Cool story bro. I have a customer whose nephew is a kite board instructor somewhere in the NE. He is a ski bum in the winter. My customer scolded him on settling down and getting a real job. The young man said sure, but I'm making well over 100k doing this and having fun. Shut my man up.

pscook and JCP636 like this.
  13. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I almost took a job years ago doing title work for an oil and gas company. I put my 2 weeks in at my other job and was training to start when my other job made me a really nice offer to come back. Also, the work seemed boring and monotonous, so I wasn’t thrilled about it anyway.

14. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I’m going back out and spending a month in Jackson Hole this winter.

jrsamples likes this.
  15. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

How do you make "well over $100k" as a kite board instructor a few months out of the year?

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Where'd you end up in Florida?

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

what are your salary expectations?

I have to be licensed in good standing, but my job is so far from what i used to do as a prosecutor, i barely feel like a lawyer.

i consider the compensation to be fair, and i don’t work a minute over 40 hours a week.

18. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Treasure Island, right next to St. Pete.

19. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Depends on the the job really. Location, amount of freedom, etc... I would have for sure needed 6 figures and up to stay in Philly. For now, here in FL, I’m really content just to have a little play money, being able to live at the beach. So far I’m happy with real estate. What do you do?

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i write for judges. It’s public employment, so my loans go away in 2024.

it’s 6 figures, eventually, but honestly, the work/life balance is unprecedented for the legal field.

They were offering overtime until about a year ago, which can bump up your earnings a lot, obviously. Not sure when that will come back, as all hearings are by phone until further notice.

that said, i expect an influx of work when unemployment runs out for 20% of the country.

the first year is a little rough, but then the benefits open up, because you’re through ‘probation.’ The health care and retirement are also top-notch, IMHO.

Edit - location matters, as the salary adjusts based on location. It’s huge to find a cheap housing market with a duty station that has a 1.2 multiplier for the salary schedule.

JCP636 likes this.