1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta MotoAmerica july 31-

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Cameron won that race in the rain, played the tire game super smart, and I think Jackson Blackmon got penalized. Nothing to take away from that Honda win, but there were a lot of extenuating circumstances.

drop likes this.
  2. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Granted...but have to be in it to win it! And he was on a CBR500... The year before he had top 10s and even a top 5 I think on Ninja 400.

More importantly, hopefully it sets up a good relationship between AM Honda and Jones Racing for better platforms in the future.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  3. Hopefully he can get on some good kit that’s sorted out sooner rather than later, he’s very frustrated at the moment. In BSB spec they don’t seem to be doing too bad, Andrew Irwin said it’s actually a pretty easy bike to ride with a very balanced chassis but who knows what parts Yates will have. BSB guys have kit erry- thang

4. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

The tracks there look like kart tracks for the most part, except Silverstone. The tracks here are much faster and hp sensitive, and that plays against the Honda. They did nothing in WSBK with the old bike. Thank goodness Nicky got a race win the rain for them, but they were a non-factor otherwise.

That said, I hope he gets a good bike. He's a lot more talented than the results would show.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Carcass construction doesn't really affect the tire seating to the rim, it's the bead bundle. With conventional tire construction methods the bundle is made of steel wires (3-5 side by side) that are covered with rubber. Then they're wrapped to the needed diameter until the correct thickness is achieved as mandated by the tire design. And heck yes putting a texture to the rim's bead seating area (without removing to much metal) helps a lot.

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

That's crazy! I guess I never even paid attention to that as I've never marked my tires/wheels. Then again I'm not a particularly hard braker. One time before I went to Road America, I noticed the wheel weights from my ZX6R front wheel had fallen off and found them on the trailer floor. It was too late at that point to get it balanced again, and just didn't want to deal with it, so I rode with it as it was. Never noticed a single difference on the 150+ mph straights lol

jksoft likes this.
  7. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I'm old.
    I raced there in the mid-late 80's then again in 2012.
    What a difference.
    I really miss the old RA.

CR750, TurboBlew and YamahaRick like this.
  8. Beg to differ about the carcass construction. Across the pond one rear was known to spin on the rear rim on quite a few different bikes and it had same compound as one with 0 incidents just different carcass. Basically it had a lot of flex and a ton of traction.

9. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

:stupid: The old Road Atlanta, in particular the Gravity Cavity and T12, was awesome!

JBall, CR750 and Triple X like this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Heres a Marchesini M7RR in mag
    [​IMG]

11. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

F969C1FF-B0DC-4BED-9F06-F14C7602A40C.jpeg This was the map they emailed before the track day. I’m told SBTT usually runs this configuration, but I suppose since they just had MA there it was simpler to run the same as during the weekend. Even with the afternoon rain it was a great day. Thanks to all involved in the event!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  12. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Sportbike Track Time has run the same layout as MA for as long as I can remember. The track map you posted is the car layout.

13. Inquizid

Good to know...
    Is there any org that runs the old turn 12?

14. Not quite that way actually, a bit less sensitive but not as much as you’d think. I do agree it puts the Honda bit less of a disadvantage plus no rider aids could also be a factor benefiting the Honda more than others. Good point ya had though.

15. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Pretty sure there is not. Same with the T3/T4 area. They run the alternate route on your track map. Both were modified for bikes due to safety reasons. So I highly doubt any org would be willing to run the old layout just for the experience. I can only imagine the lawsuit if someone were to get hurt or killed and then a lawyer brings up in court that there was a perfectly acceptable safer, alternate route that every other org uses.

16. Inquizid

Well fuddy-duddy

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

The supersport race 1 was rad. I’m pretty much just tuning in for supersport and twins/lm at this point.

Attack and Beaubier are too dominant. Would love to see both that team and rider make the jump to WSBK as I think Stanboli would hurt some fee-fees in that paddock, but I know that’ll never happen.

Bummed for Wyman. Can’t help but root for a guy who does it all himself. Happy to see Westby on the podium again.

18. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

Those guys aren’t “typical”. I agree Rocco could use a little grooming for The post race interview

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  19. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Let him cook, gives us some personality on the grid.

WANABE RACER, turbulence and 5axis like this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

NESBA would run the original T3/T/4 config. I tried to convince the SE director otherwise but he was dead set against it. So much for safety. He was sort of a putz anyway.