1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Atlanta MotoAmerica july 31-

Discussion in 'General' started by pfhenry, Jul 12, 2020.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

yea but everyone knows NESBA SUCKS!!! :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm planning on those animals going 30 flat. It's going to be tough to judge, the surface was brand new this year and guys started out on harder tires at the beginning of the weekend, and were using progressively softer to see what worked.

But for qualifying, if Rocco is there, he will throw on the softest rear for qualifying even if it only lasts 5 laps and try for the record.

My best there was 39's last year, I felt I had 38's in me, but I couldn't find a place to pass the guy in front of me. So once again I'll have to PB in order to qualify.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That may be true for some of the bikes, but my Yamaha is 355 with some fuel aboard and 83 on the dyno. My bike is not the fastest, but it ain't slow!

I overheard Rocco telling someone this weekend his SV made 89 on the dyno, FWIW.

Kris87 likes this.
  4. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

That sounds right.

Canadian Bacon and Gino230 like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

So did Cam Peterson have brake issues with stock stuff or the Beringer (sp?) stuff Mellisa posed with on the Gram?

Just wondering if it's the old GSXR can't stop for shit issue or aftermarket parts issue. I mean I assume they can't run fancy brakes in SSTK?

6. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Seems like they're running Beringer rotors and lines.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

At least that’s what they thought last year...:D

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The GSXR 1000 comes with Brembo T-drive rotors. The regs state you can replace the MC but max MSRP for the MC is $400 which means only the cast Brembo MCs are allowed and not the billet units. Calipers must be OEM.

418 likes this.
  9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I'm confident in my first assessment, and there is some other underlying issue with the tire that wasn't explained but the different carcass is not it from my experience.

10. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

It really is demoralizing when you see how fast those damn pro kids are. I've been racing a 400 in the last couple of seasons (cuz it's fun and cheap) and at almost every event I'm on the grid with Gus Rodio and Joey Limandri. There's nothing any of us adults can do at that point but to try and have a good race for 3rd place. At NJMP, most of us are running 1:37-1:38s, with a couple of guys occasionally dipping in the high 1:36s. Gus and Joey ran 1:31s....Rocco Landers ran 1:29s last year in the Jr Cup race! We can't compete with that shit lol That's a whole different level of fast that we can't achieve. We're just in it for the fun :)

scottn, sdiver, TurboBlew and 3 others like this.
  11. Used KY to mount it :)

12. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with all of that, but they look at EVERYTHING. Of course race pace and race craft is one of the most important things, but the category that you mentioned "ability to bring in sponsors" includes how presentable you are and how you talk in interviews and press conferences. Plenty of sponsors have dropped riders because of shit they've said in interviews. I agree Rocco's on the right track, but he could use a bit of polishing of his words when he talks. We all love a great personality instead of being bland and boring as hell....but maybe not quite the "Dude! That race was...." type either lol

I've been told by someone who's been in the Red Bull Rookies Cup paddock that when they do the tryouts for that, they look at all that shit and personality is important. Obviously Rocco made it, but I've heard there was a kid a couple of years ago in the tryouts from some European country who was one of the fastest ones there in outright lap times, and he didn't make it through because they just didn't like his personality. Once you make it big you can afford to be yourself and do whatever the hell you want almost, but early on you gotta impress people as much as possible to get the right support and sponsors.

henry_carlson likes this.
  13. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

He was running the Beringer rotors. Not sure on pads or master cyl.
    The OE rotors on the GSXR 1000 are some OE grade hybrid T-drives/button rotors.

14. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I got you, I also understand that by just being "American" he will be held to a different standard and viewed much more critically.

I would also wonder how eager the powers that be want an American back on that grid so maybe he will get some wiggle room. Joe Roberts was a media darling captain america and all that following Qatar.

My personal dealing with him have been wonderful, he is super nice and a happy kid and he seems receptive to coaching so hopefully he can find that balance of being himself and still tow the line in the press conference!

sbk1198 likes this.
  15. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

What most of you are forgetting is that he’s off to RBR, and there they will help how to do interviews etc. Where do you think SDK learned his basic media skills???

TurboBlew and henry_carlson like this.
  16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Mid range torque is just as important and maybe more important on other tracks. My Kawi has always made good high end power but the mid range is soft to say the least. I’ll take a few less HP and little more mid range torque to go faster. Except maybe at Road America.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

375# and 78. Just like the Cup days.

:D

Kris87 and noles19 like this.
  18. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Them bikes did 38's at Road Atlanta. :)

A :33 there on any lwt bike is getting it done!

Brad likes this.
  19. Well stated, it’s a fine balance between keeping your personality and becoming a robot. You can be professional and still have a distinct personality that fans / sponsors can identify with.

20. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Jake the Snake running the Ducati for PITT race.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk