1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to help...

Discussion in 'General' started by Justin Nelson, Jul 6, 2020.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

But they don't mix experts/amateurs based on lap times. Once you're an expert you grid up with the experts, even if you're 20 seconds slower. And as an amateur, you don't get bumped to expert mid-weekend just because you're Marquez level fast. Case in point, this weekend at NJMP, a guy set a lap record for Amateurs. The dude just started racing last month and this was his 2nd race weekend ever, and had only been to NJMP for a track day once before this. Stock suspensions and his tire pressure were off like like 4-5 psi from what's recommended, but he was FLYING! Ran faster than most experts.

rafa likes this.
  2. Keep mongo away from the tracks, more people will show up :)

3. sbk1198

Maybe for pro racers or people who do this for a living. But most of us do it as a hobby among other things we got going on in life. It's club racing...it's literally made for people to race when it suits them lol I missed only one round last season in my region because of an injury (technically I was there I just didn't get to do any races), but this year Covid-19 ruined some stuff, so I'm doing things as they suit me. Not chasing points and I really want to do the full course at VIR, which might be the last chance I get to do it, so I have no problem sacrificing a race weekend....but still a racer! :rolleyes:

turbulence and Wheel Bearing like this.
  4. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

i think that was a pro... I heard something similar about a dude showing up on a stock r6 and whippin everyone at that very track... 98% chance y’all got trolled again

5. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You got your cock push-up. Droppin' any race thereafter to participate in an event that may not present itself again doesn't take that away from you. :D

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. sbk1198

No it wasn't lol I know him. I met him earlier this year before his first weekend ever. He had just got the bump to advanced group.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Do you really think Toro or John Deere need to advertise? Do you really think those marquees are unknown in the marketplace?

Again, if you find a brand at Walmart, you can rest assured you’re not getting their highest end product. And yes, they’ll sell a metric shit ton of them because people see the name and automagically associate it with the reputation their non-Walmart products have garnered.

And let’s face it. Nobody buys something expecting 20 years of use from it. Fuck, if it makes it through the 12 months warranty period without requiring anything beyond fuel, you got a good one.

So what incentive do any companies have to make a durable product?

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

To be fair, one of the most important lessons I learned in the professional world was things change. I specifically remember putting together a team for a project at my old job to improve operating efficiency of one of our departments. Someone made a suggestion and I said good idea but we've been down that road before and it was not cost effective. My boss (also my biggest professional mentor) interjected and said let's look at it again. Sure enough, the suggestion was a viable solution then even though it hadn't been previously. And it was a good learning opportunity for me that times and circumstances change. That said, I do agree it would beneficial for the OP to read the older threads to understand why some suggestions were not viable previously and then evaluate whether the circumstances that rendered as such have changed.

evakat and HPPT like this.
  9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yes.

upload_2020-7-6_18-54-38.png

sbk1198 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

Non sequitur much?

How does showing they pissed away $100 mill on advertising demonstrate a need to advertise?

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

"Need" is a strong word, but there are people there with large incentives to increase profitability (who also have a large information advantage over you) who decided that spending money on advertising was a good move for the business :p

Was lazy in posting the first Google hit for advertising earlier. This is a little more legit (from their 2018 annual report):

upload_2020-7-6_19-8-25.png

12. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

“Nobody buys something expecting 20 years of use from it. ”
    that’s because we’ve been conditioned to accept garbage, that’s the power of advertising - it’s worked on you and you don’t even know it.

13. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Agreed. Was waiting to read where the OP did, in fact, read the older threads as many suggested. That said, the OP generated a good discussion even if it's been beaten to death already.

Or has it...?

14. pickled egg

Uh, no. Advertising is the biggest waste of time, money and effort on me. I buy with purpose, not from flashy lies. But thanks for assuming I’m a mindless sheep. :rolleyes:

15. pickled egg

It’s the word I used, intentionally.

Do you believe $188 million in sales profit brought in by advertising zeroed out the expense, of would $188 million in sales profit have happened anyways? :Poke:

16. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

COMPLETELY off topic, but how do you guys have lap records for amateurs? What is that even worth?

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

About as much as having lap records by different organizations:crackup:

18. sbk1198

It was news to me too lol I had no idea that anyone keeps track of lap records for amateurs but apparently someone does. In fact I didn't even know they kept track of lap records for experts, I thought they only did that for ASRA. My guess is that it's something unofficial and you don't get anything besides a bit of bragging rights.

I believe MRA out in Colorado keeps track of all lap records PER CLASS even! Like if you want to know what the lap record is for Middleweight Superbike experts or amateurs, it's listed somewhere on the site lol

19. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

same, I’ve never paid attention to advertising my ears go deaf when I hear a company name but it works on the majority very easily and that’s the point of advertising just because it doesn’t do anything to you or me doesn’t mean it doesn’t do something to the majority

stay fast my friend

20. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

And something to add to your online dating profile next to the picture of the bass you caught

right guise?