1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Repent, blasphemer! The 1911 is the one true gun!

2. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Don’t look in the mirror.:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

opinions on Ruger SR9c ? 17 rd 3.4"

4. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

I'd echo the advice to take it apart multiple times to get familiar with it. Second, I'm not comparing apples and oranges, I have no experience with a 1911 but have worked on my own stash of guns. Last couple of years my father gave me a bunch of OLD rifles and some pistols that his father had, so I had to learn to gunsmith a bit to get them running again (Win M1 carbine, Win 1873, Lee-Enfield, etc). Anyway, really look at how that round is chambering as you slowly move the slide forward. I have a Browning Buckmark 22lr that when brand new would do the same thing. When the nose of the bullet is in the right place on the feed ramp and the case rim is low, my particular pistol was having an issue in that the extractor was hanging up on the cartridge case rim. I simply took a cratex wheel on a dremel and CAREFULLY smooth and polish the leading edge of the extractor. IMO, most times there is a failure to feed, binding is an issue and the part that is adding the extra resistance needs to be fixed. To me, this is essentially what running 200+ rounds through a gun does. Good luck.

5. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

Ha, ha! I know. My father's tried to drill that into my head for many years now. I have one, but only just because "history." I can appreciate others that like them and get them to work for them, but for me it's just not a good fit.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Well, I bought an AR15 lower from PSA about 6 months ago and had it shipped to my local guy. When I picked it up I thanked him for taking care of the paperwork on such a minor item. He said, "oh it's no big deal...I had a guy yesterday that had 20 of them come in at once!"

7. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Armscor is Rock Island. Surprised none of you hero's have bought a Jesse James 1911's.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Don't we all! I just want you to have a NICE one.

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

TL;DR

I will say that the only issue I've had in the ~18 years or owning my Kimber is it doesn't like that 8th round loaded in the 8 round mag.

10. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

When i was in the industry, if i remember right, anyone that bought more than 2 handguns w/in 7 days, we suppost to fill out a federal form and send it in.
    There was also dealer alerts, wanting us to keep watch/report.....peeple in fatigues, multiple long-gun purchases that were the same type of rifle, people saying certain things, certain bumper stickers (maybe), etc, etc etc....i cant remember if the dealer alert(s) was Fed, or state related

11. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Just did the paperwork on a tbac ultra 7. Holy cow that thing is light. Assuming the dealer gets the form mailed out today or tomorrow I’ll start the countdown. Wanted to get it in well before the election rush

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Rack the slide a couple of hundred times after cleaning and oil. Then load up the mag and see if it still hangs up. I have had this solve my new gun issues more than once. Shit just has to get worn in a little.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Thanks for not answering...sold out at $280 so you saved me about $5-600 by the time I bought ammo and accessories

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Damn they make some very very attractive pistols.
    Here's the link: https://www.sviguns.com/

15. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing that one or the Ultra 9. I just can't get myself to spend over $1200 on something that I won't even get until next year. But if I get one for my 6.5 creedmoor and can also use it on an AR15 with no issues, I may be convinced to go for it soon.

16. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

I've built a couple 1911s for shits and grins, hand fitted slides and barrels and the whole thing. Assuming you're talking about a 5 inch gun, the following works. If you bought a commander length gun or smaller, different story.

1911 Malfunction diagnosis basics:
    Based on the picture, I'm guessing you could smack the ass end of the slide to get it into battery?

Quality magazines. However, even with quality mags, sometimes a particular gun just won't gel with a certain brand. This is usually due to feed lip length and height when the mag is seated in the pistol. Buy one of a brand and try it out. If it doesn't work, try another.
    Brands worth looking at:
    Checkmate
    Wilson Combat
    Tripp Research Cobra mags
    Chip McCormick
    Kim-Pro Tac Mags (These are branded Kimber, but I think they're actually made by Chip McCormick, in any event they're G2G)

Extractor tension. The extractor on a 1911 is a leaf spring. If it's too tight or if the hook isn't shaped correctly it can cause feed malfunctions. https://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm Wilson Combat also has a video on youtube going through it. Proper hook shaping is more complicated.

Recoil spring "weight." Recoil spring weight in combination with magazine spring strength drives the timing of the feed cycle. First try a stiffer mag spring, only then start playing with recoil spring weight. A 16 lbs recoil spring is "standard" on 5 inch guns. 14 lbs was the original spec and sometimes works better. I prefer the recoil feel of the lighter spring. Unless you're purely screwing around on the range I wouldn't go below 14lbs, they tend to get cranky below that weight (dirt causes problems, prone to limp wrist jams, etc).

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Another is Akai Custom Guns. 1911 and 2011.

A guy who shot in the same matches as me had a handful of them for open and limited. He shot .38 super mainly iirc. He was either A or Master level.

18. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I've got a 9" suppressor that sits in the safe 99% of the time. It's the most quiet but it makes the barrels pretty long. I have an older TBAC Cb7 that has been my work horse but have always wanted an Ultra since they came out and finally bit the bullet. If I could only have one, it'd be the ultra 7. I almost shoot only suppressed these days as well as wear hearing protection. Tinnitus in my left ear from came from shooting AR's at hogs without hearing pro even with a suppressor. Dumb as hell

TLDR- it's worth the wait imo and you'll have it forever

sbk1198 likes this.
  19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I think the difference between the ultra 7 and ultra 9 is only 2-3 db, but obviously 2 inches longer and $100 more expensive, plus a few ounces heavier. The 7 sounds more appealing to me as well. I'm now more paranoid about hearing damage (especially long term) ever since last time I went shooting I made a real dumbass mistake and took the left side of the ear muffs off the ear because I was shooting my 6.5 creedmoor rifle at long distance and I couldn't really hear the "ding" from the steel target so I thought I can just free up one ear and listen better for it. Yeah I learned the hard way that's not how that works. I couldn't believe how loud the rifle was at that point and I had a strong ringing in the ear for 15-20 minutes! That's one of those mistakes you only make once lol

20. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

+3 dB is double the sound pressure level.

$1200 is way too much, you'll be happier with two @ $600 cans that you won't have to swap back and forth. Every company is gouging on the adapters too, so you end up paying a buttload to adapt to every platform.