1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey man, slow down and think.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Worth noting that not all therapists/psychologists are right for you. If you don't feel like you're getting anything out of therapy or it's not for you, try another therapist before writing off the process.

Fencer, auminer, SpeedyE and 3 others like this.
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Maybe visit a professional to work that out. Or try to figure it out on your own. Perspective is a mother fucker

not really... I dont give 2 fucks about someone that chooses to off themselves. There ya go. Feel free to take your anger out physically on me if you dont agree.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm not here to talk about guilt or someone being selfish or what have you. I get the conversation and I'm sure it's important to a lot of people.

Nah man, I'd much prefer to get someone over the hump to tomorrow. next week or next year. :)

Fencer, SpeedyE, pscook and 4 others like this.
  4. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

Dude.... you should have known they were gonna come in here and shit all over your sincere post urging people to seek help in their darkest hour. Should have stickied it. And then locked it.

SpeedyE likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

From this perspective, looks like your only issue is how it affects you...or moreso, how you choose to be affected by it.

That’s obvious. You care so little you’re the #1 poster in this thread.

Maybe explore your feelings on the subject and from whence they come, and make some peace with it?

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I disagree. I personally think it’s valuable to see through others’ lenses.

It’s a fair assumption that this subject will be coming up in all of our lives

BrianC636 likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah man, I like an open discussion and most opinions are valuable.

Most. :D

Fencer, SundaySocial and SirCrashAlot like this.
  8. SirCrashAlot

I agree with that but I understand he wanted to let people know he was there for them not have people arguing of the why's and impact on those left behind. Should be a separate thread.

9. SirCrashAlot

Ok... my bad. Carry on.
    Good on you though. You're not the miserable little prick you portray yourself to be though.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@ck you, take it back! I am the miserable little prick, I am! :D

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

It's normal to not understand because you don't have the condition. Same thing as you not understanding why a Tourette's syndrome affected individual screams out "cunt !" every two sentence. Why doesn't he simply stop saying that ? Problem solved, right ? If it were that simple, there'd be no mental illnesses : poblem solved and your simple perspective could make you POTUS (oh wait !). Anyways, some people are intelligent enough to understand that somethings can escape their limited grasp. Some aren't.

Gino230 and SpeedyE like this.
  12. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Alex Lopez...

He was my cousin but to me, a brother, my ace. 10 years my elder and always dragged me along to fun shit like car racing, flirting with chicks, learning to drive manual, GO-Karts and overall fun. Wherever Alex was, I was. He was my rock when my parents divorced back in 2001, I was only 11 at the time. I moved from a big ass ranch to a cramped house in Los Angeles with my Grandma. He was the eldest grandson, son to an uncle of mine(Moms brother) but he hated that motherfucker. Alex always longed for love, his Mom treated him like shit when he was young and ran off with some dude to Vegas. My Uncle didn't know what to do, he let him live at my Grandmas. Alex was loved by many people and was the light of the room, laughing and joking. A fucking prankster he was.

Alex attempted to take his life on October 6th, 2019. He was found hanging, I'm surprised the bar didn't snap. He was 6'2, 230-240. Clinging to life, the Docs kept him alive October 7th but on October 8th 2019, he was declared brain dead and unfortunately passed.

Cause of death was a suicide. He was 40. Left behind an 8 year old son.

It fucking hurts so much. Shit comes in waves, at times calm and others, like a violent storm I breakdown. I wish I would've called, I just wish.

Boman Forklift and Fencer like this.
  13. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Suicide is a MOTHERFUCKER! One year, my base had over 15 completed, I don't remember the number of unsuccessful attempts. It was pretty hard not to be connected or directly affected by those actions. We all got all kinds of "professional help" to try to stem the tide. I'm not sure if their efforts did much good or not, but at least they tried. Whether you're thinking about it yourself, or trying to deal with the results of someone else's action, don't hesitate to get some professional help. FWIW, "helmet therapy" has worked very well for me, more times than I can count. For those of you that believe, or those that are willing to try anything for help, please don't discount the power of prayer. Personally, I have found the Lord most active during times when I was most desperate. Don't hesitate to reach out, there are lots of high quality folks in this community.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

The key thing to remember is that when someone makes the decision to end their life it isn't your fault. It isn't the missed signal, call, conversation, whatever. They have made a choice and it is their's alone. The 'if onlys" are pointless, because even if you had done whatever, it may well have made zero difference.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have had a lot of experience as a school administrator of a boarding school full of high risk students. I have had students come in on a daily basis with suicidal ideation. I have had many conversations and some referrals to the appropriate people or agencies. Sometimes just a good conversation early is enough to enable them to go on and sometimes it just delays the act. Regardless of the outcome, make sure you talk to somebody that will listen.
    This is not the suicide hotline, but if you want to talk to somebody that won't judge and is a good listener, feel free to give me a call. I am retired with plenty of time to be available. I am also a light sleeper, so feel free to call anytime, 4 am is ok with me. 907-331-7851
    Ken

16. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I know! I went through three different therapists in the last six years. None of them even discussed any underlying problems or undiagnosed issues. I finally found a clinic through my health care providers (University of Washington), and I got the whole clinic on my team. It's awesome that I am getting lined up with a team instead of some soft speaking person who can only suggest meditation. We are starting on the actual work next week, so I'm pretty stoked.

I even got the clinic director to perform my initial telephone intake interview, then she was the one performing the formal intake interview (which never happens), so someone saw some value in me. My clinician says that the director rarely gets involved at the intake side, so maybe she needed a break from bossing people around?

17. Repeater

Repeater USCGRR

Thank you for the post. Lost a few brothers in the CG that just couldn't handle the suck. I have gotten help when needed. Keep your heads up and be good to each other. Get help when you need it and help when you can. Sometimes a little chemistry helps too. Shit gotta take my happy pill. I actually do.

pscook likes this.
  18. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

^^^ this is important to remember ^^^

interview them...ask how they approach working with a client...

if a therapist/psychologist cannot layout how they work with their clients, you may want to keep looking...

maybe one that works specifically with certain issues people have....

a good therapist will give you the tools and toolkit you need to get going as soon as they can and not keep you on the hook for office visits that can last for years...

the big unknown will be your willingness to sit in your shit and listen to what you are being taught....

its not easy...but if you are willing to take a step back and approach the client/therapist relationship with an open mind, having a therapist guide you to finding your own answers can be a real game changer for your life....

Chino52405, pickled egg and pscook like this.
  19. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to come to that realization though, but it’s absolutely true. My step dad took a bullet years ago. Pretty sure my older sister never recovered from that.

20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

One of the hardest things to accept, that it was their wish to end it.