1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Talking about play spending around 500.00 on 1 stock this week. And getting rid of it asap. The rest long term etf, mutual funds, bonds, ect will be when the market stabilizes or when I think its close to bottom. Before you say it, I know no one can predict a bottom but it's still to crazy right now to even start weening in. Sometime in the next month???

The only thing I'm paying attention now is the energy sector looking at XLE or VDE etf, feel oil is getting really close that something has to give, but see what happens this week???? Not for the super long term 1-3 years???? Don't think fossil fuels are going to disappear in the next 5-10 years or a lot longer probably?? One could say it will keep dropping because no one is flying or driving/ vice versa, the other could say oil is like diamonds. There is a shitload in reserves, they will slow production, costs of drilling go down and there are less barrels in circulation, the price goes up???? It's getting down there has to come up at point, but it's all an crapshoot

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Fair value on the overall markets based on earnings should have stocks down about 40%. Add another 10% for every month this goes on. This would be fair value not cheap or undervalued. Act accordingly. My targets have the Dow closer to 15000 before this is all over. Expect some 2008 type corporate bankruptcies ie household names that won't exist 9 months from now.

Highly probable 1 cruise line 1 airline and at least 1 oil company won't survive among others

Jeff McKinney, GRH and Captain Morgan like this.
  3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

It looks like Boeing is positioning itself to gain public trust (and public funds):

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2020-03-20-Boeing-Announces-Actions-to-Navigate-COVID-19-Crisis

Phl218 and CharlieY like this.
  4. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Thanx for the info!

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Fair value based on earnings? Like P/E?

6. notbostrom

Yes just cut the E in half lol

7. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

8. notbostrom

9. twodocs

He’s a blogger.

A lot of changes in posts (advertorials) with his new internet wealth, but the early stuff was good.

Got me and a bunch of other physicians looking at stuff we had no idea about.

We had him speak at a residency meeting when I still owed >500k, and none of it mattered to me then because I had nothing, and was making less.

Figured I needed some professional help when I started making money, didn’t matter the AUM fees at the time, but as we started really having money it was time to get serious about not giving it away to people who want to make money off yours. Some useful info in his links and Bogleheads, et cetera.

Use what is useful for you, I realize he isn’t most of the beeb target audience.

10. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

been thinking bout boeing about 10 days ago and then read on here from i think "charlie" on here and decided to go in couple days ago at $98 a share. nice to see it opened this morning at $148

Monsterdood likes this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

***disclaimer: nobody should consider my choices as advice, I have no idea what I'm doing***

So, in the last couple weeks I've put my little $1K into the following:
    50 shares AFMD
    5 DIS
    20 EPD
    5 XOM

I had a limit order in for one more share of DIS at $83, doesn't look like that's gonna happen... so- give me ideas for my last $100...

As far as "goals", it'd be great if it turned into $5K in a few months, but it won't bother me if I have to sit on it for a year or more.

12. twodocs

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Boglehead :D

twodocs likes this.
  14. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Funny that the FDIC found it necessary to put out this vid yesterday

[​IMG]

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Think you still have time to move the video to YT thread?

sdiver likes this.
  16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I thought videos related to the thread were allowed, if not, my mistake

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It's confusing sometines, I think racing only is allowed everywhere.

18. Tristan

We're under full "Road Warrior" rules now

Phl218 and Yzasserina like this.
  19. Tristan

Index funds belong in my 401K, not play money... give me something that has been beat to shit in the last month and *probably* isn't going under...

20. Tristan

Hilarious that the FDIC's spokesperson is a not-so-hot russian chick. That said... 2xidb... tough times and all