1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official 2020 Silly Season Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by The Great One, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Smart move for Yamaha. It would be fun to see him do some wild card races as well.

Jay305 and Quicktoy like this.
  2. scottn

scottn Well-Known Member

It's possible:
    https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/935620/1/yamaha-open-lorenzo-wildcards-2020

But it seems Lorenzo’s racing career isn’t officially over as Yamaha confirmed alongside his test duties for 2020 he will have the opportunity to take on wildcard entries if he wants to.

“So far, no wildcard rides are planned for Lorenzo in 2020, but Yamaha is open to the possibility, should he decide to race again,” a Yamaha statement confirmed.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Yay. Love that there’s still silly season shenanigans the week before the first test.

4. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

I see very little movement in the factory teams other than Miller taking Petrux spot they will remain the same. I must admit I didn't think Yamaha would move Rossi out of the factory team. Smart move on their part...

5. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

What happens when Lorenzo is leading the time sheets as test rider??

It’s definitely a possibility.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

probably something different compared to Stoner.

which was a shame.

Quicktoy likes this.
  8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Isn't this the best case scenario? It gives him time to see if he can get his head right without taking up a seat on the grid. If it clicks he comes back, if it doesn't he either keeps being a test rider or retires. Seems like a win-win.

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

So glad I'm headed to COTA this year, if there's potential for this to be Rossi's last year.

Quicktoy likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You are forgetting one crucial part of all this: by the time the season starts, most seats will be taken through 2022.

11. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Based on his pace on the Honda it's going to take more than a few test sessions to get it together, and that's if it happens at all. Plus even with contracts there are ways to make it happen if they think he has the pace to win races.

12. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

My money is on some wildcards, and nothing more. If he were to come back to a full time ride, it would have to be on a Yamaha. This silly season, I'm most interested to see what Pertonas/Yamaha does with the FQ seat. Will they hold it for Rossi and not pursue anyone else until he officially retires, or will they put him on a 5th bike if he stays?

13. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Cue the "Honda made it so only Marquez can ride it" comments.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

No 'JL had no scarf' remark?....

15. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Rossi retires and forms VR46 Yamaha team with Luca and Lorenzo 2021.

pscook likes this.
  16. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

When’s the last time a Honda other than MM was competitive? Cal a couple times?

NemesisR6 likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Doesn't need to be rideable by anyone else.

Well, until Marky Mark gets busted up. Then Honda will be up shit creek until they find another good rider.

Because, you know, Pedro, Cal and George aren't any good.

18. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Honestly, I wouldn't even count Cal. I'd say Dani in 2017 was the last year somebody else on the Honda was capable.

However, there hasn't been another Honda other than MM in the top 3 for championship standings since 2013.

19. The Great One

The Great One Well-Known Member

It seems like Ducati fell asleep at the wheel this silly season. They were talking a big game about poaching Maverick and/or Fabio, they made their intentions about Lorenzo pretty clear last year, and they somehow lost out on all three of them.

It seems like rider management continues to be their achilles heel.

MachineR1 and Jack Brock like this.
  20. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they would have to buy one from Honda.