Honda boots Lorenzo

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 21, 2019.

?

Is he toast

1. Yes he's out

34.0%
  2. Nope he will win more than 1 race this season

29.1%
  3. Nope.

36.9%
  1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Jesus, not the 2-stroke shit again. :rolleyes: EVERYONE was on 2-stroke bikes! Somebody had to win. Every year. :Poke:

If Marquez had been on Yamahas the whole time, I would have agreed that his adaptability is not proven. On the Hondas, I think the case can be made. He wins regardless of whether other proven winners can win on the flavor of the year. From one year to the next, those bikes have made other guys go from aliens (or close to that) to almost anonymous racers.

Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  2. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the "well Rossi won on 990cc and 800cc bikes and Marquez hasn't!!!!!"

3. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

To be fair, there have been 12 (if I counted right) non-Marc Honda wins since he came to the bigs. I think that's about double the total of (all of) the Suzukis. :D

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

And the vast majority of those (8, I think) have been courtesy of Dani, who was nigh untouchable when on form with that bike.

5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

I was meaning just the style of riding since you were saying adapting. The 800 was different than the 1000. Shoot the same applies to 600 vs 765, And yes two strokes were different. Add in traction control or not etc. Nothing magical about two strokes (other than the awesome sound) just had to ride them different IMO so an obvious adapt required. Kind of like going from silent to talkies, remember :Poke:

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Die.

track wagon likes this.
  7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's in the other thread....

8. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

A retirement gift to himself is a Pagani Huayra Roadster.

I'm still patiently waiting for him to start his own scarf company. Or un-retire and ride for Yamaha again.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Did he ever make his "BIG" announcement?

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

Just read somewhere that he's "training harder than ever before"

Goolge translate:
    (Motorsport-Total.com) - Since retiring from the MotoGP season finale in Valencia, Jorge Lorenzo has been officially retired - at least for the time being.
    There has already been speculation about a comeback as a potential test driver at Yamaha. And Lorenzo himself has not yet rejected this option, on the contrary.
    The Spaniard recently revealed to his colleagues from 'Motosan.es': "This is one of the options I have on the table." So he could do it like his predecessor at Honda and compatriot Dani Pedrosa, who retired as an active racing driver At the end of 2018 he also took on a test driver role at KTM.
    Anyway, Lorenzo would be fit enough. "I'm fine. The truth is that the past year and a half in terms of injuries has been undoubtedly the worst of my career and that has severely affected my performance on the track. Fortunately, I'm already back at 100 percent, ”says the 32-year-old.
    Lorenzo trains even harder after retirement
    And he adds: "In fact, I put on more weights in the gym than ever before, now that I can afford to gain muscle mass." He presents impressions of this to his fans on Instagram. There, the ex-MotoGP pilot only recently shared a snapshot of his training in the gym.
    However, Lorenzo is not working towards a full-time comeback in racing. "Enjoying more free time for me was one of the reasons why I retired," he emphasizes. "So I want to have a lot of time now to do the things I haven't been able to do in the past 18 years."
    But: "If you offer me a project that doesn't take much time, I will at least consider it." In one form or another you will definitely see the five-time world champion again in the paddock. At the latest at the Spanish Grand Prix this year.
    Title as MotoGP legend a special honor
    There Lorenzo joins the list of MotoGP legends alongside names such as Giacomo Agostini, Mick Doohan and Wayne Rainey. "That makes me very happy," he says and confesses: "When I started this world, I just wanted to move up to the World Cup. It was a big milestone for a Majorcan pilot. ”
    “Winning races and then championships was something that exceeded my expectations and now being a MotoGP legend is even harder to achieve. This title means that apart from the championships and races I won, I shaped the people and the history of this sport. ”
    When asked about the toughest opponents in his sporting career, the 32-year-old remembers: “Even during my beginnings in the Spanish and European championships, I met Andrea Dovizioso and Dani Pedrosa - drivers with whom I later faced in the three categories of the World Cup has been."
    Marquez can break records, but ...
    And further: "Especially in MotoGP, I would say that Rossi, Stoner and Marquez, each with a unique talent, were the most difficult to beat." The latter has won the title every year since his MotoGP promotion with the exception of 2015 as his future Honda teammate Lorenzo could triumph.
    While it was his last World Cup title, Marquez is well on the way to breaking further records, such as those of Rossi and Agostini. Lorenzo believes that this is possible: “Marc is a unique driver with completely different characteristics than the other champions. He has many virtues, but also, like all of them, some weaknesses. ”
    “In my opinion, one of his greatest virtues is his ambition to always want to win under all circumstances. To prove to the other drivers that he is always the strongest. It's a virtue that makes it unique, but it can also become a weakness, ”says the Spaniard.
    Because taking “so many risks” in a sport like this could easily result in a serious injury. "But luckily for him, I think he's slowly correcting that. And if you manage to control this ambition for the next few years, as an athlete you will become a beast that is difficult to beat. ”

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This is something I tend to forget. By the time the top riders reach their early 30s they have been doing this for well over half their lives.

YamahaRick likes this.
  12. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

And he adds: "In fact, I put on more weights in the gym than ever before, now that I can afford to gain muscle mass." He presents impressions of this to his fans on Instagram. There, the ex-MotoGP pilot only recently shared a snapshot of his training in the gym.

I wonder if the crazy weight restrictions they put on riders actually hurts some of them with less muscle mass.

Quicktoy likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've always thought it makes the bigger ones more prone to injury.

Quicktoy likes this.
  14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Bigger muscles mean stronger ligaments. I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns but the ultra lightweight guys have to be more at risk..

15. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

Not GP wise but in MA, I was surprised to see how "built" Hayden Gillim compared to the rest of the field. The dude has a linebacker/tight end build.

16. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Prettrucci looks sick most of the time from the weight loss

Quicktoy likes this.
  17. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I thought the same thing when Ben Spies went to MotoGP.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

This is one more reason why MotoGP should also have a reasonable bike and rider weight. Maybe 150-160lb for a rider and then whatever is a reasonable bike weight. Would allow the bigger guys to not starve themselves to an unhealthy weight.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Wont that be a disadvantage for smaller guys? Pedrosa style?
    You would imagine that the smaller guy is already weaker, now he has to muscle around a bike that is 40lbs heavier than the other guys?

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I wonder what his head situation is like. We all know bones and soft tissue type injuries can be rehabilitated with good results but the brain is more of a challenge etc. Would be cool to see him development ride for Yami or whoever if he’s up to it.