1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

For your lever issue:

For sure, I’d be shopping bars. Wider and flared is what I’d suggest. Soma (Condor) and Salsa (Cowchipper) have some non-traditional bends that might be advantageous for control, without a deep drop.

2. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

have pretty good results for very little $$$ . only thing you need is a trainer and some fluorescent circle stickers
    http://bikefastfit.com/

3. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

That's kinda neat, I wonder how accurate you have to be w/ the stickers?

I have a good local fitter, he did wonders to fix my riding. I tried fiddling it around to where I felt comfortable when I first got into the sport, and I was very, very off.

4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I did have the levers already in as much as possible already.

ducnut likes this.
  5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

There’s a pretty legit fit shop about a half hour away from me. I may take a look at going there once I’ve saved up enough for track season this year.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Reverted back to the 100mm stem. Tried the 80mm and bought a take-off 130mm stem from my local shop to mess with the fit some. It’s not the overall reach to the bars, it’s just the lever-to-handlebar reach. I think I can fix it by lowering the shifters further down the bars. Crisis averted.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I’m || <— this close to a new Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disk 8.0 Di2 for my next road bike (currently ride a 2019 Trek Domane SL5 Disk). What other bikes options are available in this category and price point? I plan to upgrade the wheels to some mid-depth carbon aero wheels by late summer. I’m a Shimano fan boy and can upgrade to the Ultegra 12 speed in 2021 when it’s released. I plan to keep the next bike for at least four years.

Looking for the experience of the beeb hive mind.

8. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

What do the shops carry around you? I don’t like some of the proprietary silliness on the Canyon. I think they use some whacky headset standard.

I’d personally take a look at a Madone. I think it’s the best looking bike right now.

Can’t really go wrong with any of the major players these days. TCR Advanced is probably pretty close in value to the Canyon.

Attached Files:

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Unfortunately, the equivalent Madone (SL 7 Disk) is $6,500. I’m finding it very difficult to find a bike that equals or beats the Canyon performance to price point. I’ll have to check the TCR Advanced. :flag:

10. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

They’re a great value for sure. I also love their color schemes. White or black is timeless on a bicycle.

Only bad I hear from them is their after-sale support and the proprietary headset/stem thing they have going on. I’ve heard of some shops giving you shit about them if you bring one in to get worked on as they are customer direct, but honestly who cares about that.

11. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Their headsets are 1 1/4” like the giant carbon setups are I believe. Makes it a bit tougher finding aftermarket stems but nothing terrible.

I was as close as you are to pulling the trigger on a canyon until they said the don’t ship to Canada. Bought my S3 the following day and happy I bought from the local shop instead.

Senna likes this.
  12. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Same boat! Super close to going with a Canyon CF SLX 8.0 with the SRAM Force wireless setup.

13. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I've only heard of a few post sales issues with small parts missing or assembly issues. All resolved but would have been picked up in bricks and mortar store. I am hesitant to buy a canyon based on aeroad top tube issues I bumped into during research. Seems well known they are actually fragile AF and canyons response to all with issues has been to suck it.

14. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yea, I’m reading about headset small parts sourcing issues, top tubes cracking, bottom bracket issues and the CS is supposed to be lacking, or at least was last year.

Idk. You get super legit components on them at a price point you really can’t beat. And they don’t cheap out on things like saddles or tires, which always pisses me off with the name brands.

15. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Have any of you tried the ISM saddles?

I’ve been swapping between the Romin and the Power saddle every few weeks. I like the hamstring clearance on the Romin, but prefer the nose less design of the Power. It’s my understanding that the Power Arc addresses the hamstring clearance issue, but I ordered an ISM from Amazon to try out as their Narrow line seems to do the same thing and it’s free to return it.

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I looked at that bike in the Canyon showroom last month. Definitely a sweet setup but I’m stuck on Shimano.

I’ll probably pull the trigger in the Spring when they offer free shipping again. My wife is eyeing the women’s version of the CF SL Disk 8.0 Di2 so it will be a 2x purchase (hence trying to keep the cost per bike down).

Greenhound386 likes this.
  17. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I think Canyon is pushing old stock out and supposedly new stuff is in during the first quarter , not Sure about the Ultimate getting any changes . Aeroroad is supposed to be new. I use ISM saddles , u sit way more up on the front of it for it to work best. Found a 2018 Madone frameset on the cheap and grabbed it to see what its all about. Currently have a BMC TMR01 and an Old Cervelo R3SL. As far as build groups go , i'm back to liking Shimano. Easy crankset to deal with ( Chain rings are from std , mid and compact on one crankset ! )

18. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Ultimate is the same for at least 2020. Already on their website with 'New' listed on the thumbnails.

Aeroad is not listed in the 2020 bike section and is purportedly coming out towards the spring.

A bunch of the guys I ride with are on Aeroads and love them. One did just have a weird issue come up with his headset; I will report back on how his warranty experience goes.

Cannoli likes this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

How tough is it to build a bike up from a frameset? Next winter,
    I’d like to build up a Palace R for
    myself and I’m wondering how tough it really is.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

It's not bad. Get good cable and housing cutters and whatever bottom bracket tool the frame uses. The rest is hex wrench. Getting the housing compressed in the shifters and derailleur housing is the hard part. That's moot if you are running electric.