1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesla Truck reveal happening now.

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Duuuuude.

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

destructive to what? Sure seems like you're hell bent on convincing us of something that "doesn't matter" to you.

3. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

All that is for you to figure out, like it is for me. The world is changing, and we can make it benefit us or we can be left behind like the dinosaurs we are.

What will not work to our benefit is to simply claim it's not happening in order to postpone our need to address it.

4. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

[​IMG]

5. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Destructive to actual discourse. The focus now appears to be on "winning" arguments, not debating relative merits. Fact and opinion are regularly conflated to the point where no progress can be made from discussions. That's what I meant.
    Nothing I've said in this thread is my opinion, except about the Tesla truck being ugly. If I had my druthers, I'd keep my truck and my cushy oilfield job until retirement, and my kids could find a rewarding outlet for their intellect and efforts in my industry as well. That is extremely unlikely, and what I want plays exactly no part in the coming changes.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  6. aboogie973

aboogie973 Well-Known Member

Saw this and can’t justify it.

7. Dragginass

That's opinion. Any prognostication by any of us about what future laws will entail, is by definition opinion. Like I said, laws are arbitrary, physics is not. The grid, batteries, and related technologies cannot support the world you envision. We can suppose that future technology gets us there, but then that becomes.....opinion.

8. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Kinda what I was pointing out about Internet Debate Club. Congratulations on your gotcha moment sir, you win!

9. elevenn7

elevenn7 Well-Known Member

Here's a question for all EV owners... How much does operating an electric vehicle cost compared to gas (or diesel)? Does your power bill increase as much as your were spending of fuel, or is it way cheaper? EV owners never mention this. Just curious.

10. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

This is fact. Unless some very radical changes in technology happen then there is no way to convert to EV.

11. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

What some here seem to be missing is that no one is discussing converting anything to EV. The focus for the last 10-15 years is to eliminate IC street vehicles. EV's are being developed independently by various manufacturers to fill the coming gap. It's pretty far along in technology and infrastructure right now, actually.

12. Dragginass

What they also don't pay is fuel/road taxes, and you can be sure that if (not happening) we lived in a 100% electric world they would pay those taxes elsewhere. Conveniently left out of Tesla math.

zrx12man likes this.
  13. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

I'm curious about this too, does anyone know how US municipalities are planning to make up for the future tax shortfall? "Conveniently left out of Tesla math" seems unfair, because gasoline tax is simply a non-issue.
    I wonder if a portion of the increased taxes on electrical power used can be repurposed for highway/street maintenance.

14. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

...or maybe it'll be one of those deals we've been hearing about for the last 30 years where you cut tax rates, it stimulates an industry, and voila! More net tax revenue! Grover Norquist should be pushing Tesla HARD.

SuddenBraking and pscook like this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have two friends with EV's, and they both have solar panels on their houses too. My buddy with the Chevy bolt usually zeros out his utility bill. My wife's friend with the tesla doesn't always, but she also goes to the supercharger at times to lower her bill.

zrx12man likes this.
  16. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Registration / tag fees are higher for EVs in some states to offset gas tax gap.

17. sdg

sdg *

How is this still in general?

18. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

The Norwegians took this tact with electric vehicles and, I believe at one point, they accounted for at least half of new vehicle registrations. I asked my cousin who lives there what was going on and found out that it was all about tax breaks. That is, there was no tax on the car, while tax is somewhere near 100% the value for a new gas/diesel auto. Furthermore, there were no highway tolls or parking fees if you drive an EV. The result? Sales exploded.

In fact, they were so good that people were buying them at the tax-free price and selling them in Sweden as used cars while pocketing a nice junk of change. I think my cousin sold three or four before the government figured out what was going on and made it so you had to own the car for six months before you could get the money in the form a tax refund check. And now, with the lost tax revenue, those spiffs are going away and new EV sales along with it. So yeah, subsidies work, but there ain’t no free lunch.

19. zrx12man

zrx12man Captain Amazing

Sorry for the thread drift. That truck is ugly!

20. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Or a bunch of bannings gonna happen ?

Papa tried to lure me into one last week. :D