1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1:36.2 Two Up At Barber w/Chris Ulrich

Discussion in 'General' started by Brian Van, Nov 25, 2019.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

One of the first "dates" with my wife.... I have her sitting in the back seat of a 172. I'm also about 10 hours in... let's practice some slow speed stalls. Nose straight up. I hear a timid "What the hell" from the back seat. Stall buzzer starts going off. Nose plunges straight down and she starts screaming. First and last time I ever had her up in a small plane. I never did get my ticket.

ChemGuy likes this.
  2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Man, thread hi jack, but her goes anyway. Date related. I got my ticket signed on a Thursday. My longtime GF at the time birthday was the following day. I load her up for her very first small airplane ride and fly her to OC, MD for dinner. On the way down, I have flight following from Dover AFB who informs me a C5 just took off and is going to circle under me and head out over the DE bay. It was like a shopping mall passed beneath me. So cool. Girlfriend is digging this flying shit so far. Half hour later, we are on approach to OXB runway 14 with a stiff seabreeze just before sunset. I turn final, flaps full in and this damn thing is not dropping. All the way to idle and still high. The runway is long as hell, but I just got done 6 months of training and putting it on the numbers is drilled in my head. I'm thinking of going around, but before I scrap this approach, I stomp the right rudder, drop the left wing and slip that old turd (Beech Sundowner) in. My GF is silent until the wheels touch at which point she yells, "WTF are you doing?" through the intercom.
    "Putting it on the numbers babe. Let's eat." :D

3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I saw them doing these at the Road America round last year, it was my first MotoAmerica race in person. I didnt take my leathers with me so I didnt look into signing up. I will this year though! As much fun as I think it'll be, I also think it will help me break some personal barriers that will help me in my riding.

4. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

They supply all the gear. Leathers, helmet, gloves, and boots. You have to make a donation to the AFF to get a ride but it is worth every penny.

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Shit, you mean to tell me I still could have done the ride? I didn't even ask because I figured you had to have your own leathers.

6. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

How dare you speak about what should be unspoken

7. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

Approximately 1500 2 seat rides with one fall is a pretty solid record my man. Road America is famous for it's amazing weather and Chris got caught in the rain in 2017. Sooner or later shit happens no matter how good you are.

1500 rides - 1 crash = Bad Mother Fucker in my book all day long

track wagon, Sabre699, jd41 and 6 others like this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shit, I'd blame it on the person who got on the back of a motorcycle on a wet race track anyway. Chris Ulrich cannot be held responsible for whatever mental trauma ensued.

grasshopper likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That totally makes sense. Wouldn't you rather shit in someone else's leathers?

nd4spd, sbk1198, AC1108 and 2 others like this.
  10. Brian Van

The ride started in the dry, unexpected rain. Chris said he had already slowed down and was on the in lap. Dude moved unexpectedly, Chris corrected for said movement and the front folded up.

grasshopper likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, that sucks. I hope they didn't get hurt.

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You may or may not know from 1st hand experience, But if it's even slightly moist at Road America and you get on the candy stripes the wrong way you're on your head. They are as slick as snot when wet. I'm not sure if that's why he went down and We all know Chris is more talented than 99.9% of the population on a motorcycle but like many said above riding 2 up not being in control (as a passenger) at that fast of a clip (1:36 at Barber) requires a lot of trust. I'm sure the kid had a blast. Have a good Thanksgiving Brian and enjoy your time with family.

Brian Van likes this.
  13. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Roadracing World had this posted on Facebook today. Looks like a cool opportunity for those of you in SoCal. image000000_64.jpg

14. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

What's the weight limit? lol How much can those GSXR subframes hold? lol

KneeDragger_c69, track wagon and jd41 like this.
  15. Brian Van

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

16. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

We had a customer that was damn near 300 lbs do a 2-up with CU at Sonoma. He really wanted that big bore for that one.

track wagon and sbk1198 like this.
  17. G 97

G 97 Garth

So you’re saying I could beat CU if he had a passenger. :D
    Man, that’s crazy to be able to turn that time 2up. Damn. :eek:

Brian Van likes this.
  18. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: No doubt. He’s also a good announcer. I forget what year it was but he was injured and couldn’t ride and for a couple of the AMA rounds that season he was with the track announcer providing live commentary and insight over the track PA. He really should explore the possibility of broadcasting.

Brian Van likes this.
  19. Brian Van

I think MA should add a two up class to the show.

MachineR1, jd41, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Like most I’m not crazy about the lack of control but I’ve done some pretty quick pilon laps at track days messing around. That being said I’m older and not wiser just more aware that pain hurts. I’d have no issue jumping on a bike with Chris, even on a wet track. I trust his ability and common sense and i think I’d be pretty at ease. I’d be more nervous about making sure I was doing what I was supposed to and not making us crash and injuring him.