1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Sep 24, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm actually a proponent of intelligent use of solar and have been since the mid-1970s. There are options that could be implemented that wouldn't involve covering vast areas of land that are currently (see what I did there) "green. Think about parking lots and installing photo-voltaic arrays as covers. No net increase in land use and people can park under cover. Who knows, it could save a kid or pet from stupid parents as well. I'm not a fan of just tacking panels on your roof. I've seen too many that look like Fido's ass.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Oh yeah...how much of the cost of fossil fuel generation is tied up in regulatory compliance and fuel taxes?

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Too much. But on the flip side of that coin, too much is also being spent on subsidies for them too.

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Wind farms decimate raptor populations.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Raptors kill cute disease riddled rodents.

6. Fonda Dix

True.

On another note there was one day last week where two red tail hawks were hunting over my house as they do every morning. At one point an F35 dropped down out of the south headed towards USAFA and there was a split second where you had the two hawks hunting with the F35 in the background. It was beautiful. Wish I had a camera and good timing.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I am looking into it for a simple purpose. I don't want to power the whole house with it but I'd like to have access to it. Putting just enough in place to meet the demands of running the A/C systems and refrigerator seems like a clever way to use it.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That could work, although AC is a big ass load. The 1970s systems leaned more towards using solar panels to heat/preheat water as booster for the water heater, and to some degree, home heating. As is the case now, "green" energy is highly dependent on the region where you live. Even in the southeast, cloud cover on a bright day can reduce output. Dry climates can make good use of evaporative cooling, we cannot. As I mentioned before, it should all be part of a thought out plan.

9. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

by central geniuses.....you know like the priests in egypt when they were so advanced.

10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I pass a few of these "Solar Farms" talk about an UGLY FUCKING EYE SORE...
    Riding along in the wonderful country side and come around a corner and geezus fk a BLACK hillside...scared with acres and acres of solar panels..

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, I would think AC was about the last thing you'd want to run off solar.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I dont think the inverter cares what creates the load.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

About 10 years ago they decided, in a controversial move,
    to supply 30-40% of the power requirements of the
    Manchester NH Airport parking garage with solar panels on
    the roof at a cost of $3.5 million, which would save about
    $100K a year on the electricity bill. Sounds great!

Let's see how that has worked out.
    Just keep in mind that intent is everything.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/glare-airport-solar-panels-interfering-air-traffic-controllers

https://www.unionleader.com/news/po...cle_417763f4-4aef-52f1-bad2-ae2acdd05b8b.html

14. Banditracer

No it doesn't, my point was it's a hell of a load.

15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

helluva load.png

There's something vaguely obscene about this conversation.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They look kind of cool out in the desert outside of Vegas.

17. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's more about offsetting the volume of energy consumption. They could take part of the load but the size and cost would have be reasonable to even consider it. Most of my research points to what we all know is that it really isn't cost effective as the ROI would take forever to see. It was the only use case I could see for it. When would your solar production be the highest? On the same day the A/C units are working their asses off.

18. Banditracer

So you're looking at it more like direct use, makes sense. I was thinking, that's gonna take alot of batteries.

19. Fonda Dix

Acree, here is Aurora from last night. She was nearly killed by some cadets at West Point last year so its so excellent to see her healthy. She eats LOTS of rodents. :)

[​IMG]
    upload pictures to web

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

There are a lot of variables unique to each situation to model this. By my account, I can put in a system that covers my total aggregate usage (i.e., integrated over the whole year) and the ROI is ~ 7 years. I benefit from net metering opportunities, solar flux, and some Local Public Utilities incentives. I'm waiting to do the re-roof and system all at once. YMMV.