1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.N. Predicts Disaster if Global Warming Not Checked

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Sep 24, 2019.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Ugly and not so ugly

Attached Files:

3. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of global warming. It's keeping my winter heating bill down.

4. TWF2

Want to replace it with AC bill? :)

5. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

I live in the nice cool mountains.

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Where did you get that number ? Seems awfully high, I think they can farm around them alot closer than that.

8. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Offset by the raptors...hawk kabob....

9. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

IDK, seat of the pants measurement when I've visited the ones in Tejas, seemed about 2 acres when considering the foot print plus the long 30 ft. wide road going to them.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

https://sciencing.com/much-land-needed-wind-turbines-12304634.html

"Rules of thumb are just that: simplified expressions to get a rough idea of system requirements. To find out what's happening in the real world, researchers at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL, surveyed 172 large-scale wind power projects to see how much land they're really using. The direct land use is a measure of the area of such things as the concrete tower pad, the power substations and new access roads. In the United States, the direct land use for wind turbines comes in at three-quarters of an acre per megawatt of rated capacity. That is, a 2-megawatt wind turbine would require 1.5 acres of land."

I rounded up...but it's still a not insignificant acreage for an overgrown fan.

11. TWF2

1.5 acre if you don't use land under it. On agricultural farms no that much. Footprint is 30-50'.
    From same link;
    "Some turbine arrays lend themselves to dual uses, making their use of land potentially more efficient. Mounted high above the ground, they allow other uses of the landscape. A common example is agriculture. In many places in the western and central United States, turbines spin above grazing livestock and fields of crops."

12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

You might as well discuss ethanol too. Its got an equal amount of propaganda disguised as studies and is equally as polarizing.

YamahaRick likes this.
  13. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So you're saying if you see a cow cut in half in Montana it is windmills not aliens?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

15. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

As someone who grew up on a farm I can tell you that farming around obstacles is not as easy as some make it sound...

jrsamples likes this.
  16. TWF2

I have not farmed around so no clue. Looking at pictures does not look like problem.

Attached Files:

17. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Stopping and turning a rig around is wasteful and a royal pita.

18. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I dont know much about these eyesores. Is it safe to work around those blade tips whizzing by at 300mph? Is it quiet?

19. TWF2

Don't they have to turn somewhere? All farms I have seen have roads dividing them at some distance.
    On that picture they run across with machines but they could also run along.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I have finally found the reason to get onboard with global warming. If Florida goes under water all those people will relocate and ruin other places.