1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is american superbike really this sad?

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Aug 25, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I've pondered this a lot keeping up with him on social media all this year. From the moment he decided to go with the V4R platform, it seems like the guy has had the throttle pinned in every aspect of his life. I just can't imagine that it doesn't have an effect.

He is improving, which goes to show just how dedicated he is to making this work............but how long can you keep your life on the red-limiter without something going pop?

2. Superbikeorbust

Superbikeorbust Well-Known Member

So you are saying the Wyman program is a successful program?

3. Henrybgood2

Henrybgood2 Well-Known Member

I like Fanschoice but the problem is that you have to watch it for 8 hours for a couple practice sessions and races. They really need to do something to speed up the show. I'm not sure on AFT or MA, but it looks like there is more money to be made in MA through purse and contingency then AFT. The main AFT class now seems to be the 450 but it really doesn't look like it pays much. Also, it would be cool if they went back to framers instead of MX bikes. If AFT has been on the rise, it's about tapped out I'd say. The attendance is maxxed (and it's not a real high number) at most tracks and it needs more people to sustain itself. The TV is great, but I'd think it would be hard for a sponsor to get a good return because there is no room on the bikes to advertise. Racing is fun to watch though, in both sports.

4. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

You've gotta be kidding me right? You can watch, start to finish, free, and it's too long now? Tune in for the mains. You know what time they are, you don't have to watch it for 8 hours.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd say it is.

5axis, mpusch and turbulence like this.
  6. Henrybgood2

Henrybgood2 Well-Known Member

The first sentence was that I like it. I like to watch it all, practice to the mains. But you can't argue there is more down time then racing.

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Just because it's the bigger grid doesn't make it the "main" class. I'm betting it's the cheapest of the 3 classes to run. With the best chance of anyone to win. Plus there are 6 manufacturers paying contingency in it.
    Framers are dead to AFT, as far as I'm concerned. The growth of the series is because it's based on DTX rules, not extra expensive framers with one off suspension, wheels, and setup. And the reason why all the 450 manufacturers are paying for wins, and championships, is because the bike on the track IS their bike. Not their motor chucked into someone else's frame.
    It's not maxxed until they are sellout crowds :)

Dragginass and ducnut like this.
  8. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Yes, from the outside it does look successful.

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

It seems to me that the future of Superbike in MA rests on getting more non-factory teams involved and less of the factory. I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha and Suzuki pack it in like Honda and Kawasaki. I think the model of BSB is the way to go with independent teams like M4, Westby, Attack/Estenson and KWR are the way to go. The manufacturers can certainly help whatever team they want, but with sportbike sales what they are and unlikely to improve, the ROI just isn't there for the oems. Unless there is somebody in power at the oem that is passionate about roadracing, they will spend the money at the touring rallies or ADV gatherings where their customer base is. I know that was a factor in Honda not supporting their team after their 2 year contract was up and somebody retired at Honda.
    The difficulty in trying to apply the BSB model is the lack of motorcycle enthusiasts that would be potential sponsors or customers of sponsors to make it a good ROI. I think it would take the teams and riders having a huge social media presence to provide those potential customers. I think it can be done and Josh Herrin and Kyle Wyman are good examples for teams and riders to look at for the future. I have always thought the Hormel with Spam and Chili would be a great sponsor as the potential demographic is there with applied social media. If I had a team, that is the direction I would go.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'd imagine Aussie Dave's been in that same boat for many several years now as well.

stangmx13 likes this.
  11. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

What are the crowds like in BSB? Are they mostly the same people, going to each track, or are they different people from the region? (Of the total attendance over the year, how many customers are repeat, vs unique one time only customers?) With the U.S. being so spread out vs England, I would imagine most U.S. customers are unique.

12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Where I lived I could get to Silverstone and Brands in under 1.5 hours, Snetterton and Mallory Park in under 2 hours and Thruxton in about an hour, I would think that a lot of people go to multiple rounds.

13. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

Yes, I was being sarcastic. AFT is Jimbo's favorite thing he owns - he will let those guys do what they need to do to make it successful.

14. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

You're right. I'm about 80% the athlete I would like to be, but I'm about 80% the team owner I'd like to be as well. It is simply not possible for me to do both at 100%. The result you see on track is the culmination of me doing a lot of things "pretty well." At times I get burned out on the management side, other times burned out on the rider side, or in surgery again and on another injury comeback. There's a reason good riders are good and you can look at Hayes as an example. He decided to hang it up this year because he couldn't put 100% into it. I respect his decision, but I guess I'm more willing to stick it out and sacrifice some quality of life to keep my circus on the road. I don't know any better.

However, I don't believe that the "answer" is slowing down the front guys or cutting costs. I continue to learn and improve as a rider no matter how much I have on my plate, and I know that once I grow this thing to a certain point where I can gather the manpower and resources I need to focus on riding, I will compete for race wins. Either that or I get the right opportunity to go be a rider and shut down KWR, which would benefit me as an athlete but would essentially eliminate a quality entry from the series. Interesting paradox... because I want nothing more than that and have dreamed about that my entire life.

The only time in my life where I came into a race weekend relaxed and focused on being a rider, was this year's Daytona 200. I had a lot of hard working people who took a lot of weight off my shoulders and handled most of the logistics. I'd say the weekend went pretty well.

It's funny to me how when we have badass Superbikes, all people want are neutered ones to we can have bigger grids. So then we do that, and people bitch about how Superbikes aren't cool enough and don't have cool parts. Grass is always greener. My plan is to carry on doing my thing and you'll never see me whine about costs or rules as long as the series listens to teams and acts accordingly. Yeah, this is an expensive sport. It's always going to be, so figure it out.

Bunch of teams saying "If only _____, then we would be on the Superbike grid." I call BS...

15. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

Well said..

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's how it works for those who can't get paid rides in all professional motorsports. Either they have their own money or their own sponsors. This is nothing new to the rest of the world, just seems that US motorcycle racers can't figure it out.

stk0308 likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The problem is buried in your second paragraph - it's hard. They want to show up and ride and make bank. That isn't how it works in any sport.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Amen.

Sadly though that whining is par for the course for most in our racing world. Even had Michael Jordan doing it.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Wyman is a step above even that, since he runs the team. I don't know of any other riders doing what he does as his level.

Just because other riders do it doesnt mean its the best possible way. Plenty of people in the industry have written about how the sport is broken because there are so few paying rides, all the way up to Moto2 and WSBK. IMO, riders bringing $ to a team and riding for free shows that the teams are failing to acquire funding. I want to point the finger at them. It should be their responsibility to sign a rider, sell their image, provide the equipment, etc. Racers should focus on performance first and foremost because this is sport. Unfortunately the economy of racing is broken. Teams didnt find money and folded. Riders cant find $ because they are motorcycle racers, not social media marketers. And now there isnt enough $ coming into the sport.

huh? id say it works like that in GP, F1, most stick and ball sports, and plenty others. the athlete focuses on performance. the team handles the rest.

Laz likes this.
  20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For some teams yes but not for all. I'm actually serious here. Lots of riders have to bring sponsors or cash to the team to get their paid rides. This is how it works. Of course the truly exceptional talents don't, but that isn't as many as you'd think.