1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is american superbike really this sad?

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Australia is about the same size as the continental US. A little smaller but for this conversation we'll leave it as about the same size.

Lay the map of Mladinland over the US and the tracks they race on are ! GA, FL. NC, SC, VA and Alabama/ Mississippi.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you driven to any of the West Coast US races? 10-12 hours ain't shit. I'm doing that to Nelson Ledges. I did that a couple weeks back Sunday night from Grattan. You are the one comparing ASB to the US. No one is comparing them to BSB. You're also totally ignoring the influences on their sports likes and dislikes come from Europe and the US is totally different.

turner38 likes this.
  3. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Also playing devils advocate here: why are you worried about "big SBK grids" when they MIGHT show top 5-6 and that's on a good weekend. Heck even in practice or qualifying they rarely show people that aren't a front runner unless you crash.

Oh, because it "looks good"? Sure put some grid fillers on there then complain about them too, because you know you will "they shouldn't be out there" or "shouldn't be getting lapped in a pro race". I hear that even now. Can't please everybody. It's not like it's Moto 3 where majority of the grid actually have a fighting chance.

Huge grids look good in person and at the start of the race. It adds excitement for action in the first few turns. But why there's a thread crying about it is beyond me but then again this is the beeb.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    Superbikeorbust likes this.
  4. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Great point, Mongo. Consider the Australian V8 Supercars series. It's roadracing, unlike Nascar. Whole different culture.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

and really, what else do the Aussies have to do? Drink beer, f@ck kangaroos, compare knife sizes, try not to get eaten by crocs, sharks and big ass spiders, chase each other on fury road for a tank of guzzlelene and play some weird combo game of soccer and 'merican football?

MachineR1 likes this.
  6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well...being on land deals with the great whites, the vibration and noise from the racing takes care of the giant spiders and crocs. Nothing can be done for the Foosocaball players.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

These dudes have bitched about every iteration of domestic racing I can think of lol.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hell, they even roadrace boats :crackup:

Past Glory likes this.
  9. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

There are no west coast rounds in Australia. Furthest distance between round is Tailem Bend and Sydney, 750 miles.

10. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

What these bitches want from a racer?

Floyd likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

there were only 15 racers for ASBK at Rd 4. so their series might not be as amazing as some are thinking. better than MA, but still might be lacking full-time entries.

12. Lets just argue semantics regarding distance, while ignoring the original point.

Some people like to say the problem with US roadracing compared to the BSB is the distance between tracks. ASBK shows distance isn’t the biggest factor.

The difference between a 10hr drive and an 18 drive is about $200 in gas (+/-), and an extra meal. At the most, it might mean an extra night in the hotel. If that is breaking someone’s program, they aren’t really in it.

13. I have no idea what was going on at that round (weather?). But that is the lowest turnout I’ve ever seen for an ASBK race.

The other weekends had 25-30.

Hell, last year there were 50 riders entered in the ASBK PI opener.

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh my lord. Distance is only one factor but for the support class riders it is one HUGE factor.

Quit using your own income and race budget to try and understand others too, it's not in reality.

Now all that being said I do agree with you on one point - if you can't afford via your own money or sponsor money to run across the US as the professional series does then maybe you shouldn't be out there trying to be a professional racer. You are not. You should be club racing and working up sponsorship to pay for your pro career. However that isn't how it works here for the vast majority, people go for the ego boost long before they're actually ready then get off on running club races or track days with their MotoAmerica number plates and paddock shirts looking cool while still not able to race competitively. It sucks but it's what the US is.

shakazulu12 likes this.
  15. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

No.

The difference between west coast rounds and east coast rounds is enormous even for a small team like ours.

Our setup averaged 10.4 MPG for the Laguna/Sonoma trip. 5800 miles total that is 580 gallons of fuel give or take. Averaging 3.40 a gallon is $2,000 in fuel alone. Since those two races are a month apart add in plane tickets, a rental car to get too and from wherever you leave your shit, paying for a place to leave your shit for a month and you are looking at another $1200. Not counting feeding three people each day while traveling and so on.... The vastness of this country makes a huge difference in costs for teams.
    Pittsburg felt like driving home from Tally in comparison.

ducnut likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fixed that one... :D

turner38 likes this.
  17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:
    And there are a lot more than one race happening in their program. It's packed with action and it's quite good. Not a whole lot to complain about with that series but I'm sure someone who has never watched a single round will go to google and find an outlier to argue about. :rolleyes:

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one is arguing about it not being a good series. Only argument is Broome thinking they're driving as far as US teams do.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Well, I was figuring costs were more for them based on there rigs most likely getting 7mpg, fuel costing more and having to fly more people more often. But yeah, the especially works also.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Bigger budget makes it easier to spend more on travel. But it is a huge portion of the cost for all teams.