1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I love the 950SE, at least in concept since I've never ridden one. If I had my insurance check a week ago, I probably would have tried to buy one by now. There was one in IL for $6800 with 13k miles on it, that sold quickly. It seems like only a year ago that they were $8k for wore out and $10k for low mileage bikes. It seems like they peaked in value and are dropping a bit now.

2. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've been in the middle of negotiations with the other guy all week, and it seems like I'd only have to come up with $1k of cash on top of my bike. If that doesn't work out, I'll consider it.

3. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Hyper 1100s. I'd love to ride one. I thought it was stupid as hell when I saw it in magazines. First time I sat on one at a dealer, it fit me like a glove. I've been looking at them alot too. I love bikes with 17" wheels and TKC80s.

4. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I bought a 2007 950SE with 1325 miles on it last July. Bad ass bike. At 410 lbs, it is 80 lbs lighter than my 990R, and you can definitely tell the difference. It too is a tall bike, albeit not quite as tall as the 990R. I've had several buyers for my 990R, but it is simply too tall for them. The extra 2" of suspension travel over the basic 990 is wonderful in the rough stuff, and when occasionally airborne, but it makes the bike handle bigger than it is in a parking lot and at stop signs.

Triumph 800XC . . . +++++ It is not a KTM, but it is a damn good do it all bike in a manageable size with a great engine. The triple does not have the grunt or engine braking of the big V twin, but it is smooth and moderately torquey. Much better than the BMW vertical twin for sure.

Cheers,

Dave

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

for sure. I paid about $10k for mine and very happy with the price/performance of mine. One of my friends just bought another one because the price was coming down and now he has a spare. They don't make them like this any more. I think you can get a really nice one now for $8-9k?

Best part for me is the durability. it's really just a big dirt bike. I would say that I drop mine just about every time I take it out for harder riding. It doesn't look like a garage queen, but it doesn't look horribly bad. I rode saturday with a bunch of little bikes and one guy on an 1190. He dropped it on both sides and tore up the plastics. He wasn't worried but I"m sure it's $$ to make it look new again.

It's still a big bike, but fully outfitted as show in the photo (4 gallons of gas, spare tube and tools, extra protection, etc. etc) it's 452#. If I wanted something smaller I'd consider a 690 or an XR650 that's been modified. I'll probably get another 450 in the future for riding with my friends on little bikes. The 950 is fun and I can go most places they do, but it does wear me out quicker. at least at my age it does. :)

I might make a separate post but since this is the ADV thread- at least one friend and myself are going to hit the Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT) in mid to late July (window is between the 14th and 24th). It's a 1k mile trail around KY, TN, WV, etc. There are some optional "hard" sections, but since we are on big bikes (both on 950 SE's) we'll probably start with the main trail and see how it goes. The main trail isn't a walk in the park and should be very challenging. A group of friends that have done a most of the big trails out west just did 600 miles of it on little bikes (mostly 350 and 500's) and said it was very challenging (most of these guys are former off road racers). If anyone has any interest in going with us, send me a note and I can send more info...

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-kentucky-adventure-tour-kat.919224/

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Scroll back a few pages in that thread and you'll see my write-up from last fall when I did the KAT with my 1190, with the 4 other dual sports. That was my second time doing the KAT, and all three of my KTM's have done it. The first year I rode my 525, and last year I rode the 1190 while a buddy rode my 400. I freaking love that ride, and really hope to do it again this year. I just don't know which bike I'd take. :D

gt#179 likes this.
  7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I'll be in touch if you don't mind to pick your brain a bit. The guys I know just did it on little bikes, but wanted to get some feedback on taking the 950's. Heard it's pretty rutted out with all the rain they've gotten recently. hoping it's a bit drier when we head up there in July.

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'd be glad to help plan your trip. I've put a lot of hours into route planning on where to stay and how far between gas stops.

I've only done shortened versions of the trip though. We did about 3.5 days the first time and 4.5 days the second. Basically where the KAT goes west of I-75 I've never done. There's numerous other sections I've missed because of time limitations due to running out of daylight. Another thing is how much the route changes year over year, due to trail closures.

Anyhow, let me know what questions you have and I'd be glad to help.

gt#179 likes this.
  10. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

HP2pic.jpg
    My latest addition for adv riding and my first BMW, I figure it should be a bit more capable off road than my Triumph Scrambler. :cool:

cpettit, GarrettRick, ducnut and 2 others like this.
  11. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Nice! Where did you find it? 2006?

A friend used to have one. 90 mile gas range was a problem. Also, the jugs mitigate mightily against rock gardens and the occasional foot dab. It was run in Baja . . . sand and silt beds proved problematic. But, those are always a problem for me, regardless of what i'm riding.

Enjoy, and please keep us up to date on developments, thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.

Cheers,

Dave

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

what he said

13. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Yup it's an '06(all the HP2s are), I picked it up out in Alberta it seems to have been well cared for with a nice array of mods, there's an auxiliary tank under the seat to help with the fuel range, there's Ohlins on the rear and the forks have been done. I'll be easing into it, I've got a lot of years in road racing, but my dirt bike experience is pretty limited.

14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I read thru all of that, didn't realize that was you. I'm SpeedyR on most of the ADV kind of places.

Nice HP2e. I rode one in Canada once and it was a very cool bike. Lots of comparisons to the Super Enduros obviously but a lot more rare (and $$). A buddy in ATL has one or two if you have questions or need parts.

cBJr likes this.
  15. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

I can't tell what the tires are . . . TKC80 front, Super Mefo rear? Put Dunlop 908's, front & rear, for serious dirt work. They'll be ok on the pavement, and they'll wear, but what's a little mileage loss in exchange for a big ol' grin in the dirt instead of abject fear and reluctance to twist the throttle?

Congratulations on the score.

Cheers,

Dave

16. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Looking for a tire with good road manners that can still be decent off road. I have narrowed it down to the Anakee Adventure, TKC 70 or the Pirelli Rally STR. Anyone have any real world input in these tires? Would be going on a R1200GS.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Go to the GS subsection at the ADV forum...there is a very good tire thread addressing this exact question. I'm running Conti Trail Attack 2's on mine right now but they are 90/10.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You’re looking at two different segments. The first two are street tires, in every way. Anytime you see a tire that’s essentially a slick with grooves molded into it, it’ll get stuck on wet grass and everywhere else. The latter tire is more of what you want. In that segment, I’d consider the Motoz Tractionator GPS (I have their Adventure model), Mitas E07, or even the Shinko 804/805. The new Bridgestone AX41 has already proven itself to be garbage.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  19. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Thanks for the input. I’m definitely looking for something more aggressive than a cut slick but something also less than a full knobby.

ducnut likes this.
  20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Heidenau Scout.

Mefo Super Explorer.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.