1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Definitely Triumph instead of BMW 800. I rode a Triumph 800XC in England/Scotland/IOM/Ireland for 3 weeks and had the opportunity to ride a BMW 800 back-to-back intermittently during that trip. For what you describe, the Triumph is hands down the choice. The BMW may be a bit more dirt capable simply due to size and weight, but that difference is negligible for an experienced off-roader, whereas the road differences are huge.

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  2. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

That seems like a pretty good deal on a nicely farkled bike and the XCx is the more dirt friendly of the 800 models.

ducnut likes this.
  3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Wow, that is a nice bike with all the tasty farkles and it's worth every bit of that $8500 I think. It's a bit out of my price range but I'll sleep on it.

What is the breakdown of Tiger models?

ducnut likes this.
  4. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

not fully up on my Tigers but generally for off road use you want the 21" front wheel which is usually the XC versions (vs. a 19" front like many GS and other pseudo adventure bikes)/ The 19" has a wider footprint so better street manners, but the 21" rolls over obstacles far better but still gives you decent meat out front. The Xcx is the more off road oriented of the versions I think. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly but mainly start with a 21" front wheel if you can.

ducnut likes this.
  5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Tiger 800 XCa only way to go is first class! Awesome bikes

ducnut likes this.
  6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

21" front.:bow:

Cheers,

Dave

ducnut likes this.
  7. speedkelly

speedkelly Well-Known Member

I have these tires on my Multi/Enduro, they 20190527_144247_1559056347727_resized.jpg 20190527_144345-1.jpg sure are a great street tire! I rode the Back of the Dragon in Virginia on Sunday morning. Stick really well. I'm the crazy Old Brit riding a California Plated bike in N.C. Will be shipping it back to California most likely in the fall if I do not sell her. Got the new bike buying bug. So this one has to go. Makes for a great all round fun bike. As tires go, I'm liking the look of the new bridgestone Aventurecross my brother just ordered a set for his Triumph Scrambler.

8. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

XC/XCx/XCa are all 21”/17” spoked wheels and WP suspension (long-travel). The XC is the base model. XCx is the middle of the road trim, which adds electronic cruise control, crash bars, and a few other bits. XCa is top of the line and further adds heated grips, heated seat, fog lights, GPS mount, and a few other things.

XR/XRx/XRt are 19”/17” cast wheels and Showa suspension (short travel). The accouterment levels are the same as the XC models.

Most end up on the XC models, because the WP suspension is vastly superior to the Showa. However, from the factory, the spring rates are far too soft. My bike has been correctly revamped by one of the best suspension guys, and XCx owner, in the country. Mike specializes in only ADV bikes and even has springs wound to his specs. That was $800+ to have done, alone. Braking components give it some of the best ADV brakes around. In fact, Mike couldn’t believe how much better my bike stopped than his. Obviously, it has everything else one would want on one of these bikes. Please note, the top box has been sold and the auxiliary lights in the pic aren’t included. I’ll reinstall the Denali D4’s, unless one wants to bump up $300 for the Cyclops lights that are currently on the bike. If you need to be at a certain number, I’ll de-content the bike to something amicable.

9. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

Thanks for the info, that’s exactly what I was looking for (and more). I’ll PM you a bit later.

ducnut likes this.
  10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

WP boingers didn’t happen until 2015 if your shopping used.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Correct.

I had test ridden a ‘12 and ‘14. At that time, I had a Tiger 1050, with AK-20’s and an 8983. Riding the stock Showa stuff of the 800 was such a turnoff, despite my love of the engine and overall comfort. When I caught wind of the ‘15 models coming with WP, cruise control, etc, I knew I’d have to have one. It’s absolutely the best all-around bike I’ve owned or ridden. But, I simply can no longer ride it and the funds would help with medical bills.

12. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

After looking at ADV bikes for months before buying my GS I can tell you that’s a lot of bike for the money. Good luck with your sale, I’m sure it won’t last long.

ducnut likes this.
  13. baconologist

Sorry your being forced to bail on it.
    My ‘11 XR is probably the perfect street bike. Even with the Showas it does everything I ask of it.

ducnut likes this.
  14. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

did you sell your 1050 to a guy in Atlanta?

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Traded at MCC, in Villa Park, IL. Who knows, after that?

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So let me ask you guys that went from big to medium...do you feel like you've lost anything other than weight? I just bought my GSA because I like a big, stable platform for the road and don't envision myself doing any hard single track with it. If that day comes I'll buy a DR650. My dream is Prudhoe Bay hopefully next summer, but the BMW is a big girl for really anything but long highway miles. Right now it's nothing but a commuter bike until I get my ST2 running.

Anyway, I'm rambling...on to the root of my question. I bought the GSA because I got a great deal and figure that I can ride it for 2 years and sell it for what I paid. What I 'd really like is one of the new intermediate sized bikes coming out. My preferences in order are: Guzzi V85, Tenere T7 and finally the KTM 790. Bottom line, do any of you who rode the big bikes miss them?

SteveThompson likes this.
  17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I've had a couple DR650's and really liked them for what they were but man they sucked on long stretches of road. Off road was decent but if I was going to hit any real single track it would be on a DRZ400 or something similar.

18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just threw that out there as one example. More concerned if any of you with over 1000CC adv bikes missed the size when they went smaller, especially on the road.

SmokeSignalRT likes this.
  19. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

The GS will be a good platform to get to Prudhoe & back. I went up to the Arctic Circle and then Cold Foot beyond last year on the Alcan 5000. The haul road sucks. But, it's the only way there so you deal with it. BTW - it is a looooong way from Seattle to Alaska . . . .

The Guzzi is not a mid-size bike. It may be smaller and lighter than other Guzzi's, but it is a Guzzi.

"Mid-sized" bikes, today, are wonderful: Comfortable, powerful enough, luggage capacity, two-up capable, relatively lightweight (stay around 400 lbs) . . . what is not to like. As I said above, I'm a Triumph XC fan, but any of the bikes you mention, plus the BMW 800 are plenty of fun and not the aircraft carriers that the GS, the 1290, etc are. It simply depends upon your particular desires, preferences and needs. Ride some different bikes - borrow rides, get dealer demos, whatever it takes.

Cheers,

Dave

Sabre699 and rd400racer like this.
  20. baconologist

I’m not over 1k, but having owned my 800 and multiple little bikes. Yes, even big girls feel good sometimes.

rd400racer likes this.