1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beto for president?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

None of that changes the fact that you still agreed to it and signed the dotted line.

crashman, YamahaRick and R Acree like this.
  2. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I know, but it's going to suck if a bunch of people who didn't pay get a windfall in a few years and I miss out by paying ahead on mine. There's going to be some sort of bailout in the near future - between education and healthcare costs, there's an entire generation that will be bankrupt without it.

I'm well aware that it's not the responsible, honorable thing to do, yadda, yadda, yadda, but it's a big chunk of change. Did you know that you can't discharge them in bankruptcy anymore? I wonder what lobby made sure that was part of the law?

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

But as has been said ... they’re not just getting written off. It’ll still be paid by SOMEONE. Why should everyone else pay for your choice when you’re capable of doing so, and just choosing not to because “everybody else is doing it”? Thinking like this is why this country is f@cked in the near future.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No different than taking advantage of tax loopholes and all the other nonsense that goes on.

It’s not like the money just disappeared. It came from a bank, went to a school, then got dispersed into the economy.

If it were anything else I’d be saying the same thing you’re saying, but the expense of college is a fucking joke. Do you realize that state colleges were originally supposed to be a free alternative to private colleges? The government got involved in the 90’s and screwed everything up: tuition rates exploded, enrollment exploded, and EVERY non-labor job in the country started requiring a degree.

5. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Ummm, yes there a difference.

My payment was so low, I tripled it and paid it off within a year or two. Proud of paying it off.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No one with half a brain couldn't see through that shit. Not my fault or anyone elses fault that these idiots and their parents got suckered by the degree industry - they still need to pay. Only exception I could see if if the school that got the money refunds it to the loan givers.

Agreed on the government bullshit. Main issue though is the middle management the schools have that truly does nothing to further a single students education.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I’d prefer the schools get charged back, but we know that isn’t going to happen.

8. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Ya, dont blame the government for setting up a fucked up game...

9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

Read an article on LinkedIn today that stated how millennials are in the toughest economic/job situation of any generation. Then I read an article on how we need immigrants because there are millions more jobs than workers.

These two things, taken together, do not make sense.

All I know is by the time I pay the banks for their crimes, pay GM for its incompetence, pay 13% of the population for me being white, pay to bail out student loans, and pay my carbon tax, I cant see how there will be much left for me.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Only your white privilege! :beer:

stk0308 and crashman like this.
  11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You fucking hater.
    We need some gulags.

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It takes a village. Hope and change is what you will have sir.

13. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

And it's self inflicted. When they buy unmarketable education, and think debt is a way of life. Gen X got screwed by being a smaller group, in pure number, than the preceding generation. And we're the first generation to make less than our parents. I shed not one fucking tear for millennials.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You have millions of people who were lied to and told that their future was white collar. That everyone DESERVED and NEEDED to go to college, and that once we did, there'd be a glut of jobs out there for us all to pay off student loans and be successful. All lies! The glut of college grads and the lack of skilled blue collar workers drove up labor costs and drove down management salaries, leading companies to send labor overseas leaving the US with two types of jobs - high paying senior management, and low paying lower management/service/unskilled labor. Our economy is rolling on credit, propped up by good reports because the big earners are making BANK while the little guys continue to languish.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

So exactly what is keeping anyone from going to Plan B. Skilled labor, in many cases, will significantly out earn someone with a degree...enough to pay off the loans and then some. Don't tell me the jobs aren't there. Local firms are begging for people that are willing to learn.

Funkm05 likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True but it's not like the lies overall were hard to see, even in high school I knew damn good and well an art history or basket weaving degree wouldn't get me a job.

sheepofblue likes this.
  17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Nothing is keeping them from doing that, except an entire support system (government, parents, guidance counselors, high school coursework, testing procedures, placement procedures, etc) that's been pushing the college lie for 30 years.

There is a MASSIVE disconnect between what we teach kids and what our economy/society actually needs.

18. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You're NOT normal. Most kids are incredibly impressionable at that age and gobble that shit up.

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Are you saying that college educated people are incapable of making the adjustment? I'm not buying that. Are they just unwilling to go the "blue collar" route?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Part is me and the way I think but part is I didn't have stupid fucks for parents. Crazy yeah but not stupid, well, okay they could be stupid but in ways I learned from :D Moms job was very much based on a degree and she could have made more doing the same job for the state had she finished her PhD, dads took no college at all which was odd since he was making custom glassware for P&G scientists at his main gig and was a hematologist at the side gig. They both pushed for college but also pushed for working and paying bills and not going into debt for no reason (okay, that was more dad, mom got two loans to buy a house she couldn't afford. She was smart but stupid with money/credit)