Caliber Recommendations

Discussion in 'General' started by lizard84, Dec 22, 2018.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Barrel/twist rate matter of course, but there are some bullets that just don't work as well beyond 600 as others. I don't think most guys shooting that distance are lobbing bulk ammo. There are exceptions of course.

And yes, the 6.5C is a magic bullet. :D

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

You'd think that they would buy good ammo you'd be wrong more than once in awhile. Barrel might help get you the speed you need, might not. 168's have a tendency to tumble when they go transonic, doesn't always happen, depends on temp, altitude and speed. I've seen guys keeping it centered on the target at 800 and then not be able to find it at 900. It would certainly thump something, though you might miss too as tumbling isn't all that aerodynamic. I've got a .308 and a .223, funny thing is the .223 shooting 80 grain ELD's takes less elevation at a 1000 yards than the .308 shooting 175 FGGM. Also, it isn't the elevation, that's easy, it's the wind calls. :D

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

One reason or another kept me from taking this project to the range until today, I had bore sighted it with my Sitelight boresighter, those things are great for getting you on paper, I can give fuck all about the calculations in the manual, I just want it close from a left to right prespective and I'm golden. Or so I though... Lol!

Thing is I've never used a 20 MOA rail before so it took three shots at 25 yards to find a hole, aim center, nothing, aim top of target, nothing, aim bottom of target, boom, their you are, way high but centered just .75 right. I should have know better but what fun is it if you always know what you're doing.

Anyway as is my way, I didn't break in the barrel per Match Grade Machines recommendations but after a few adjustments on the 25 yard line I moved to the 100 yard line to check it out. I'm pretty impressed, after some more fine tuning adjustments I ended with my two final 3 shot groups both coming in at .500. Not bad for me and not bad for a rifle you have to break open to reload after every shot and reset your position. That was with Hornady 6.5 PRC 147 Grain ELD and a clamp on witt machine muzzle break. I'm liking it so far.:clap:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Time to get it out to the 1000 yard line.

5. lizard84

Bit early for that, I'm going to clean it and take is back to the range in St Pete I was shooting today before heading to the one east of Bradenton, they have a 100, 200 300 and a 600 yard range though the 600 yard range is often closed because of limited range staff.

6. SwiftWings

SwiftWings Member

How good is your muzzle brake?

This is overkill, unless perched on a border somewhere, but the .28 Nosler provides 50 BMG performance, with precision.

7. lizard84

The muzzle brake is surprisingly good for a clamp on unit, not exactly a looker but effective.

I see a barrel replacements coming often in the future of any 28 Nosler,

8. SwiftWings

SwiftWings Member

Reduction %? Important if recoil matters.

Depending on loads, you'd replace barrels every 1700 to 3000 rnds. More than most shoot.

Platform is probably overkill, but it's also a blistering performer.

9. Newsshooter

I don't think so, the heaviest of bullets for the .28 are a third of the weight of the lighter 50BMG bullets. Hell I can get 2900 out of my 7 saum with a 180 in a short action.

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

single shots are fun. could be that I shot a bunch with my dads #1 280 and #3 22 hornet and my contender (35 rem and 22 hornet).

FYI if anyone is reloading 260 and needs brass I have a good connection for a bunch of once fired stuff.

figure i'm another 2-3 months till I get my 6.5CM, but got brass and dies and starting to look for other components. Figured I'd develop a load for 140gr ELDM and ELDX.

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The ELD-Xs shoot awesome out my wearing out Tikka.

12. SwiftWings

SwiftWings Member

Bullet weight is part of the equation. The 196 berger is moving at 3750 fps, or more. Bullet does well in the wind.

Peyton rolled a coyote with my rifle at just over a mile. But that's the rifle, not the shooter.

13. lizard84

I’d say the brake is good for a 40 to 50% reduction though they claim 60%

3750 or more? 28 Nosler? That’s some magic math right there, I don’t think so, don’t be pissing on my foot and calling it rain.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You're getting 3700+ with 195's? That sounds like brass destroying over pressure.

Newsshooter likes this.
  15. Newsshooter

Try again, not a chance that you're getting a 195 berger at 3750, that's over the velocity for almost all loads with a 120 grain bullet. Most shooting the 195 are about 3K and are getting pressure signs at or before 3100fps.

16. SwiftWings

SwiftWings Member

Texting and driving is dangerous.

3125 fps with the 195 B. No issues so far. Turns onto a super screamer as the bullet weights dip. Hits like a freakin' sledge.

17. lizard84

The convertible T/C in 6.5PRC, Vortex Tactical Rings, 20MOA rail. I've still got to mount the leupold 3x9 and bore sight the 460 S&W barrel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I pity the person sitting next to you.
    That break looks concussive to those on your sides.

19. lizard84

It's actually not that bad as far as brakes go, maybe becasue of the smaller caliber.

This however cleared much of what was left of the afternoon firing line on Saturday after I sited in the T/C lol, they were all over themselves getting a closer look while missing the fact that as the line was preparing to go hot I put both ear plugs in with shooting muffs on top of them.

[​IMG]

gt#179 likes this.
  20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Same coloring as the Boyds that I just got for my 7mm-08 build.

IMAG2991.jpg

lizard84 likes this.