1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why doesn't God stop gun violence

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by turtlecreek, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm waiting for a Vogon like speaker system to all of the sudden tell everyone on earth that we screwed up by not listening to one of those we have labeled totally cuckoo :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  2. turtlecreek

turtlecreek Well-Known Member

youre not that thick sir. "Nothing like God testing you as you watch your child die of brain cancer right" is an accusation.

the "free pass" as you call it isn't about "helping". your are 100% correct. sin sucks. evil sucks. illness sucks. however, love is incredible. love overcomes all things. free will allows for love. everything else is worth it.

tiggen likes this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

pretty sure it's going to be one of those guys that screams at people on college campuses :D

4. turtlecreek

it is crystal clear to me. for God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believeth, shall have eternal life.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're the one who used the term free pass. You said "your can focus on the fact that god provided the get out of jail free pass to take us away from our own depravity/sin". Since you chose those words when talking about dying children I assumed (I know, my fault) that you meant that choosing to focus that way could somehow help the children. So what did you mean by them? Is the point to just ignore the children and focus on just you going to heaven via your free pass?

What in the world does love have to do with children and many many other innocents in horrific pain dying horrific deaths? Or are you saying that all the dead and dying children are cool because YOU have the ability to fall in love? Granted I'm totally lost on the whole free will means love exists part of your argument too as you could easily have one without the other - in either direction - especially if that's what god wanted.

So anyway, what is the answer to the question, why does god allow innocents to be in horrific agony? According to you, free will was god, therefore if free will is the answer the question still stands unanswered.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you don't read the bible or go to church?

No to mention you can't answer the initial question - so it's not clear to you... :D

7. turtlecreek

misery comes in many forms. i have explained why misery exists. you can focus on the misery or not. that is your choice (see how free will shows up? :) ) like anyone else, you help the cancer patient by trying to heal them. you can heal the body and you can heal the soul. both are important on earth. one is important forever.

if you see what started the post, you will hear Ravi explain it again....love is so important, that free will was necessary to allow love to exist. free will introduced sin. sin caused the world to enter a fallen state. cancer is one sign of that. you may not agree with that, but that is a pretty clear "cause/effect" explanation.

8. turtlecreek

just because you don't like my explanation, doesn't mean i'm the problem. :moon:

9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

How long has the current bible been out? When’s the next version dropping?

Kinda hard t believe god hasn’t spoken to anyone or had anyone update his words in quite a few years....

Weird!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you're saying you cannot answer the question - got it. As for your cause/effect - the words you post don't seem to actually mean what you think they do. Love is a moot point. God is omnipotent, he could have allowed love without free will. Gotta find another excuse for evil sorry, evil exists so that love does is a ridiculous concept, even worse if you blame god for it. And none of that remotely covers cancer or any other disease. You can use free will for the evils caused by mankind but not those caused by nature.

Anyone else know why god allows children to suffer?

11. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Methodists do it every day of the week.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You haven't yet given an explanation.

You said this "it is crystal clear to me. for God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believeth, shall have eternal life." Okay great, that covers your eternal life since you believe. Cool. I'll even ignore the dying chilluns for this one since it is a sidebar at best to that convo.

So, since it is that clear using that one line - why do you go to church? Why do you read the rest of the book(s)? If it is clear then all the rest of the training and instruction is wholly unnecessary isn't it?

Again, just asking questions based solely on your words. You quoted Romans - which is funny since it's a part of the bible that based on the above quote from you that you don't need as the statement in Romans is true, it's all clear to you. Huh. That doesn't seem to make sense. It's certainly unclear to me what you actually think :D

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Can we start killing lawyers now?

14. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I'm thick? God created the universe, and everything in it, therefore God created cancer. I know, we'll blame it on mother nature, since that bitch gets the rotten end of everything bad. God gave us this glorious beautiful day, mother nature is a bitch for that tornado. Everything is Gods will until shit goes south, and then it's free will this and free will that. Give me a break.

I don't blame God because I don't believe God exists anymore than I believe Rah, or any of the other fictional characters some people rely on as a crutch to get through life (my mother is a perfect example of that). I don't need a book of fiction to tell me right from wrong. I don't need preaching from a pastor to teach me how to love. Maybe you do?

Since the devil can dance a jig, I hope he can show me how to pop and lock. I could never get it down.

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Did you not hear Mongo?
    No one is listening. Even if the words come bellowing loudly, we'll be in disbelief and totally question the message. :D

16. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Yeah, I guess I really don't think God worries too much about me or anyone else.

Man, this is a rough world we live in. Rougher for some (kids with cancer and their families) than others. Please understand, I'm not trying to make light of it. I don't know what I'd do if one of my girls was taken from me. But then there wouldn't be much I could do seeing as how it isn't up to me.

A student of mine recently wrote an essay about a friend of his who died of cancer at age 9. He talked about good memories and called the kid a warrior. He loved his friend in life and death, and I think he is very grateful for having known him.

I guess, ultimately, my response to the kid would be I don't know, but since you're here now why don't we play Uno or bake cookies or watch a scary movie together. I'd like to think that I would do everything I could to make that kid live as much as possible in the time he had and then hold on to those memories in the hopes that it would dull the unspeakable pain of losing him. I hope I would be grateful for the time I had.

Lots of people on this forum (including me) say things like life sucks, get used to it...It isn't fair...You're not special...Nobody owes you shit. Often times these are responses to situations where somebody is complaining about a perceived injustice. If anything qualifies as unjust, it's kids getting cancer. And the reality is that life sucks, get used to it. It isn't fair, that kid isn't special, and nobody owes him shit. So, faced with that HORROR, I can either whinge about how unfair it is (in utter futility), or I can choose to accept it and hope (have faith?) that maybe there was a higher purpose for that life cut short.

David-imoddavid and jrsamples like this.
  17. tiggen

Day ain't over yet. I just made another post.

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

We are all sinners.
    Jesus loves sinners.

What the deuce?! o_O

Seriously, has anyone ever considered that religion might be the devil's work?

19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

What gets me is the talking out both sides of your mouth.

You say that god can't stop gun violence because he gave us free will and it's all up to us. The people on the pointy end of the muzzle didn't use their free will to get there.

Out the other side of your mouth you say that god has a plan for everyone & everything, and is omnipotent.

If that's true, then how can you say god didn't put the shooting victim in the crosshairs? How can you say god didn't give the kid cancer? If he's got a plan for everything, then that's all part of his plan.

Sounds like a fucked up dude!

But you invent a third side of your mouth & say he wouldn't give you anything you couldn't handle.

Except lead poisoning or juvenile leukemia... which will kill you.

But you can handle it.

o_O

code3ryder likes this.
  20. tiggen

EXACTLY!