1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic transmission manual shift kit

Discussion in 'General' started by kenessex, Nov 5, 2018.

1. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Pretty sure thats a 4sp not a 3sp auto. I don't know of any 3sp's that are overdriven.

2. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

That is what you got out of his post. Not that he wants to dump a couple grand in a 2002 Escape.

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Kinda sorta like putting a turkey pan on the belly of a $20k motorcycle because a proper race exhaust and bodywork is "too pricey".

JBowen33 likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

maybe it's a street bike predominately, an they rarely go to the track, so the time and cost is not worth it.

so that I understand more than the OP.

5. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you put a CCS sticker in the back window....

Kyle Brosius, JBowen33, 418 and 2 others like this.
  6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Track Day Winner stickers????

7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yup.
    Who gives a shit what its worth? Is he doing this to re-sell it or to keep using and enjoying what he has? Everything costs money, including happiness [when it comes to vehicles].

8. Chango

Chango Something clever!

9. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I hadn't really expected this level of bad advice and non- answers, but I am not surprised. So here is some information for you; I like this escape. I have had it since new and it has only 100k miles on it ( figure the math on that). It has no dents, scratches or rust. I am not worried about compensating for anything as I am fairly secure in my manhood. I am not intending to put very much extra money into it. It needs new shocks and struts, since it is on the originals. A set of lowering springs is not much extra money. Late model Mustang rims bolt on and I can find take-offs on craigslist cheap if I am patient and it will need tires soon. B&M does not make a shift kit for it, just a kit to fix its engineered in flaws, and I don't know anything about reprogramming anything with shift points and such. That is one of the things I am asking you geniuses about. Does anybody know anything about actually going to a floor/console mounted shifter, which would work in place of the column mounted one. They do make such things for other vehicles, but I have not seen anything specific for the Escape. Please feel free to continue with idle speculation and google searching for other unrelated stuff.:clap:
    The Escape is a totally awesome vehicle and I am sorry that so many of you are posting from such a strong position of ignorance. Maybe I can get a map and come visit some of y'all and show you how it works.:Poke:

cav115, Steeltoe and pscook like this.
  10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Here's some info from my Ford geek friend who is deep into model differences, and isn't into sugar coating:

11. sdg

sdg *

You could just do what one of my friends in high school did, just literally pull half the springs out of the trans... It shifted pretty hard afterward.

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Bummer. I swapped a friend's mustang from column to floor with B&M.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

OP can rig it up. just make sure the reverse indicator is spot on. I destroyed a TH400 in a '56 chev because dad forgot to mention that. it still had powerglide indicators. @+60mph too. it was exciting! lol[/QUOTE]

Impossible. You can`t destroy a TH 400...:D[/QUOTE]

Steeltoe likes this.
  14. kenessex

I am glad that we have established that it is a stupid idea and bordering on impossible, however, since I race vintage bikes and a clapped out SV, that still leaves me with a chance of making this happen. I probably can make a shifter out of a 2005 work, but that will still leave me with a pretty crappy shifting transmission. I also know that this trans is known for having issues and there are a couple of trans kits that will improve the oil flow and help it live longer. It is pretty cheap and can be installed without dropping the trans. Does anybody know about doing things to/with a chip? Can't it be reflashed like with a bike? How much does a computer affect the shifting of the trans? I think the Mazda 6 from the same years used the same trans and it has one of those gates that allows manual shifting of the trans with the + and - thing.

I wish I could put a manual in it with a sbc.

15. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

How does Bartz feel about you referring to your SV as clapped out? :D

16. kenessex

Probably wouldn't like it, since it is really clean and well setup. But, when dealing with the great unwashed masses here on the Beeb, I had to put it in terms they would understand.

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sometimes really stupid ideas turn out pretty kick ass. This is pretty stupid but I also thought that no one would mod out a Subaru Forester. I saw one with rims, dual exhausts and what I could only guess was a heavily modded motor in it and now I think it's awesome.

Who knows, that Escape might turn out cool. Or really really really f@ckin' ghey.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Does your have the light tank and ram air?

19. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Are you trying to say that Escape transaxle and TH350 don't share the same valve body?

20. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

No

lol.

all I was sayin (by example) was use a cable. seems pretty simple to me. I dont even know what a ford escape is.. but whatever it is a SBC and a 4sp is not too difficult. lol do it!

p.s. clutch pedals are usually the biggest hurdle there.