1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pissed off with car dealership! - Surpise, I know.

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG] :D

hey and none of them have had a sensor CEL, oh the S10 pickup truck did :flag:

Sweatypants likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Had a dealer pull that shit with me. Quick call to the state and dealer called back a week later asking when I wanted to come pick up the car

BigBird and cha0s#242 like this.
  3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anybody would want to buy something from somebody who blatantly just tried to fuck them over. I'm a one strike kind of guy when it comes to shit like that. Try to fuck me? fuck you, I'll go elsewhere.

What kind of service are you expecting to get on this VW if you do happen to get the dealer to honor their mistake. And don't tell me you don't expect to need service....It's a VW.

4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I deal with this type of thing too. You are dead on about that type of customer.

This discussion got me thinking. What if the shoe were on the other foot? Say a customer pays by check. Somehow they accidentally write the check for $5,000 extra. Would everyone be okay with the dealer saying, "hey, I don't care. You made the mistake. You need to honor it.". I know it isn't a perfect analogy but the whole thing feels a bit one-sided.

I've had almost no success buying anything expensive without a personal relationship. I may pay slightly more. I may even skip the brand I really wanted. I do, however, tend to get taken care of. I value that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    BigBird and G 97 like this.
  5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I try not to stereotype people, but I can tell you people that nickel and dime the shit out of everything in life are UNHAPPY people. The happiest people I know are some of the most generous. Think about folks you know that are on each end of that spectrum.

BigBird and turner38 like this.
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Unless your invoice also reflects the extra $5000, "not a perfect analogy" is very, very optimistic.

7. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Yeah. I guess the point is that there is nothing that shows this is anything other than a mistake by the dealer. It seems like a mistake by the dealer is not given the same grace that I'm suspecting a buyer expects.

8. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

but like... its their job and business to do their job right? its not the consumer's job to police their accuracy. he saw the price and it seemed in line with what he wanted to pay, so he went in there. the "who me?" innocent routine is a little ehh...

also, that price difference would not strike me as some outlandish typo to warrant a wiggling out of it by the dealer if i was the buyer who saw it. its not like the car was listed for half price. you're talking about $2k? off $40k? if he waited until March and that car was still on the lot by some odd chance, they'd probably take $2k off of it to get rid of it.

418 and cha0s#242 like this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Exactly. The missing fact in Steve's analogy is that there are laws that cover this situation. It is illegal to make false representations when you are a merchant. It is also illegal to hold a sum of money from a consumer's for no valid reason.

10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I like your thinking.
    I don't give two fooks what shit costs. If I want it I buy it.

Took an Uber yesterday to get beer, tried to tip the guy $20.00, the app would only let me tip $10.00. I ran into the house and grabbed a tenner for him.

11. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Considered, but I'm not spending that much coin.

12. ClemsonsR6

My course of action tomorrow, I am calling VW USA and Filing a Complaint with the Consumer Affairs with the State.

If they call back, I'm telling them to fuck off. I found the exact same car in Richmond and they are only $90 over my target price. Have been texting with the guy throughout the day. Flights are like $150 from Charlotte, so....making a quick trip.

13. ClemsonsR6

And for the comments about "customers like me" who cause a stink over this.....no, not me at all. I know you're making a generalization, but just today, I stopped in at Discount Tire to have a tire looked at with a nail in it...they patched 3 punctures in one tire and 2 in other tires free of charge. Offered great, fast customer service while I was there and actually carried on a meaningful conversation with me while I waited. I was so impressed, I ordered lunch for the entire store to be delivered tomorrow.

This VW experience was anything but positive. Had it been a SEL Premium Model listed with the base model S price, yes, that's a mistake and I would not cause a stink over it. This price issue was over the fact that the dealer had prepped the car for sale, listed it on their website with the MSRP pricing that matched the cars Monroney sticker and applied their discount but hadn't yet put their $2000 dealer mark up B.S. fee on for "paint protection" and "pinstriping" and other stupid shit they don't really do but expect me to pay for.

BigBird likes this.
  14. 418

418 Expert #59

Unless you ran in and gave him a $5,000 tip, kinda irrelevant to the discussion.

If you're comfortable with taking a $5,000 hit because you're loose with the wallet, more power to ya. But ClemsonR6 being called out for being a cheapskate because he didn't let a dealer shaft him for a few grand is typical beeb.

I guess these things go in cycles. Not but few years ago we had people on here boasting how they're all cheapskates. Now the economy is out of the gutter a little and everybody is a baller. Apparently.

cha0s#242 and Phl218 like this.
  15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The economy "trickle down" hasn't made it to me yet... still a cheapskate.

scottn, BigBird, wrx_02 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Phl218

Phl218 .

I want the best deal possible. Might be cheap, might not be.
    Deal depends on value (atlas) vs price i’m paying. 36k ‘d be acceptable value ,42 not.
    I’m with ClemsonR6 on that.

Sweatypants and 418 like this.
  17. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Ask to use their restroom and leave a upper decker...

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  18. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I think I'd trade in my A4 for a V60 Polestar. Anybody got a hookup in Atlanta?

19. Or just go into it already assuming you will pay MSRP. Then you will be happy with any discount you get.

I rarely buy a vehicle on the lot because I’m picky and they usually don’t have one exactly like I want.

You can’t expect to be like “I don’t want anything on your lot. I want you to build me a custom one like this...BUT I’m only going to give you this much for it”.

That’s why I was excited about them honoring that $1k rebate. They could have just told me to EAD. They vehicle is already ordered, I’m gonna get it regardless.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    BigBird likes this.
  20. Lawd hammercy. :crackup: