1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffing the corner?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

Come on...you got to show MM get Ray Finkled in Sepang!! :eek:

2. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Go watch MX racing, you'll see it on nearly every corner.

badmoon692008, TurboBlew and crashman like this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

MM got taken WAY wide in Sepang. He didn't get stuffed.

He Got Stuffed at Laguna. :D

4. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I was implying the Sepang race involved a kick/punt...or Ray Finkled (from Ace Ventura Pet Dective) :D

What do I about Ray Finkle??..

Soccer style kicker graduated from Cauler high June 1976, Stetson University honors graduate class of 1980, holds 2 NCAA division 1 records one for most points in a season, one for distance, former nickname "The Mule," The first and oly pro athlete to come out of Cauler County and one hell of a model American. :crackup:

K51000 likes this.
  5. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Some of you guys need to race motocross, and see what a stuff really is.

Here's how you know you got stuffed: Not only did the guy pass you on the inside where there wasn't room...but then he intentionally went wide on the exit, pushing you even wider. You're left with nowhere to go. Your only option at that point is to give up the position or end up in the grass.

I used to race motocross and it was just part of the game. If you're dropping f-bombs in your helmet or throwing elbows, you probably got stuffed. Otherwise it's just racing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

To me getting stuffed is when a pass is initiated when there is no room to pass, contact and your motorcycle is the only thing that keeps the other guy from running wide. Everything else is just varying degrees of hard passing. But it is kinda dickish to smear a STG sticker across the side of someones bike at a track day...:D

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

It's also a matter of perspective, to a racer if they don't get their front wheel chopped or make contact they're probably Ok with it. To a lot of track day riders, even those in A group, if you're within 3-4 feet of them they're puckering.

busa99 and Gorilla George like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If somebody stands me up at a track day there's a 99.99% chance they're getting a pit visit (the converse is true as well - I've accidentally stuffed people and ALWAYS go and apologize afterwards).

I'm generally relatively calm (depending on the severity) and explain to them that I have two beautiful young girls (with another on the way at this point) and I take very seriously any threats to me going home to them that night that isn't a direct result of my bad and slow riding. I also remind them that CCS and WERA are around if track days aren't exhilarating enough for them.

I find as long as we're communicative and honest with each other that life is much better ;)

Ra.Ge. Raptor and Ducti89 like this.
  9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Stuffing MM is every riders duty to the world.

Stuffing the GOAT Valentino Rossi is a reprehensible crime against all humanity

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I don't disagree in principle. It is just IMO, some peoples definition of "stuffing" is a bit over the top and they stand it up because they were spooked at a close pass, not that there wasn't room.

5axis, Ra.Ge. Raptor, drop and 3 others like this.
  11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

How were you able to start in advanced group? They normally won't do that unless you are a licensed racer.

12. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Treavor Sadler strongly emphasizes that trackdays are NOT races and that trackdays are NOT race practices. And for the intermediate group, a six foot cushion is to maintained all around fellow riders. Of course, organizations other than Sportbike Track Time may have a different philosophy.

13. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Textbook "stuff".

[​IMG]

ToofPic likes this.
  14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Some organizations are 6 feet, some are 3 feet, some are no contact. I am talking advanced rules. I generally don’t have a problem as long as you are not too aggressive with the pass. Part of that is I know I have a 140hp and some of the little bikes need to do what they need to do to get past. I usually then try to tuck in and learn all I can from them.

Many organizations also state that it is a track day and not a race / race practice. Work on your speed, lines and making safe passes. Don’t work on “how late can I pass and still not crash either of us” passes.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

As was noted, I think a lot of people use the term a bit loosely. In the winning a track day group, you have to establish you prowess creds and one way is to talk about how you Stuffed" that guy and owned him. This can make you badass and respected.

Gorilla George and crashman like this.
  16. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

I didn't say I started in the advanced group. I have been ridng sport bikes for quite a long time but just recently started riding them on the track. I started like anybody else in the beginners group and was bumped up to the a group by the control riders. I have to say though that riding on the track has improved my skill level by Leaps and bounds. I keep a decent pace so once I get used to the stuffing thing I'll give racing a try, no complaints here.... Only trying to understand the"unwritten" rules I guess

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

30 years ago, the insurance for the Dunbar Euro-Sport days I was working for didn't even allow stopwatches to be used. I usually watched for blatant, chronic misbehavior that caused the other rider to get flustered before I called it in.
    I was working an oval event up at NHMS for Indy cars, stock cars, sprint cars and midgets. Ray Evernham showed up with three cars and 5 friends. I spent most of the day reminding them with a black flag that his name didn't give him and his friends a free pass to drive aggressively.

18. You misspelled funny :crackup:

TurboBlew and crashman like this.
  19. Nailed it.

Often times at track days, the person stands the bike up, and then bitches about being “stood up”, when in reality there was plenty of room for both of them/us, and they could have held their line with no problems whatsoever.

They stood their bike up out of spookedness, not out of necessity.

blake holt likes this.
  20. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if the trackday ticket wasnt sold as a racer practice and theres no racing later that weekend, no f*ing way is that race practice.

Past Glory and SuddenBraking like this.