1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffing the corner?

Discussion in 'General' started by Nytrozula, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Nytrozula

Nytrozula Well-Known Member

What does it mean to "stuff" someone in the corner? I am fairly new to track riding and started riding in the advanced group and hear this term thrown around a bit. If it has anything to do with a tight inside pass on a corner then nobody is listening to the "no stuffing" rule! I am for the most part track riding for enjoyment but it seems like others are out there for a race or at least race practice.

2. Stuffing means you dive up underneath someone on corner entry. It is also commonly known as a “block pass”.

Those passes are very common in racing (and often times the only way to pass someone). They are no big deal and are part of it.

Those passes are also common at track days in the Advanced group.

If you do not like being passed on the inside on corner entry, then I would suggest staying in Novice or Intermediate where those passes are less likely (and technically forbidden).

But since this is a racing forum, you will be hard pressed to find sympathy for your aggravation about being stuffed. Some of us do it often at track days when riding with buddies, even when it isn’t necessary, because it is funny.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I don't think of inside passes as stuffing, but maybe that's just me. To me, it's running an "alternate" line that forces the other rider way off line/take aggressive action to avoid crashing into the other person, usually because of someone trying to run a tight inside line I suppose, but running out of talent in the middle of it and going off the traditional paths. A good inside pass causing the other rider to change their line is cool, a Marquez I'll nearly use you as a berm inside pass, that's stuffing to me.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Stuffing is a forced pass. There was a hole to dive into, but it was small and any pass attempt forces the passee to change their line, thereby making the hole bigger.

I feel bad at trackdays when a pass makes the passee change their line. Sometimes they happen but it’s usually never my intention.

5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

It was also a technique Baby's father used during dinner towards the end of Dirty Dancing. He soon found that "nobody puts Baby in a corner!"

:beer:

ToofPic likes this.
  6. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I like stuffing

upload_2018-8-10_9-29-13.png

Banditracer and masshole like this.
  7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Inside pass at a track day where I may have to just adjust my line or trail brake a bit more I am fine with. Someone stuffing it in there so late that I go from full lean to almost upright to avoid hitting them is not so cool at a track day. Same with a pass so late / off line that you completely park both of us in the middle of the corner. Save that crap for the races. Yes, I could just let the latter fly by and repass on exit, but that would just leave me open to the asshat doing the same thing again.

BigBird, busa99 and Ra.Ge. Raptor like this.
  8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You'll know what it is when it happens to you

crusty9r, rcarson15 and Blackbeener like this.
  9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

The advanced group is and should be race practice. In practice, racers should know not to actually stuff someone or make any sort of overly risky manuever but tight inside passing should be expected.

If a guy is stuck to your butt like glue, or you are doing the yo-yo of straights and corners because he is on a smaller bike just wave them by giving room and holding a consistent line. With a couple seconds of courtesy you can avoid frustration from both parties.

nitto182 likes this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Or "Brooming." Funny should leave that out.

11. :crackup:

In a good Brooming there is contact.

The rider doesn’t stand his bike up due to potentially intersecting lines, I stand his shit up for him. :crackup:

5axis, joec, motoracer1100 and 5 others like this.
  12. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

Stuffing is one level below being a "SCUD Missile".....

crusty9r likes this.
  13. People use that term way too loosely.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, they do.

15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I was under the impression it was passing at the last second with very little room and blowing your line to the point where you and the “stuffee” miss the apex and are in danger of running off of the track.

Is that more proper Canadian Bacon?

BigBird likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I usually consider stuffing someone to be a bad thing so it's making the pass when there isn't enough room to actually do so. Using available room isn't stuffing someone, it's a pass :D

17. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

And in a great Brooming, one decides to start a water park using only bottled water sourced from the very gas station he is standing in line during a hot afternoon. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I was always taught that if you didn't "show a wheel" (get halfway up next to the guy in the braking zone) before turn in that it was not a clean pass. I.e. if you made the guy you were passing stand it up to avoid contact, that was a stuff job.

There was always a hierarchy of sorts, too. No point in making any kind of aggressive pass at a track day. LW racing had the most respectful passing. The evil 600 class was where the crazy passes took place, but even those were somewhat respectful of the necessity that everyone had to go to work tomorrow. Then you had Pro Racing where the guy had to do what it took to get by. But even then, running someone wide was pretty much the extent of it.

Thanks to Marquez it seems these days anything up to and including contact is seen as just good aggressive racing. Even if you're just trying to win the intermediate group.

Of course times have changed, and the bikes, tires, brakes, and suspension are better now, so you can recover more easily from being run out wide or having to pick it up when someone dives under you. So in that respect what used to be a stuff job is now just considered a normal pass.

And passing someone on the brakes, parking it at the apex, then motoring it out is not a stuff job. That's a Mavros-ing.

I don't think what Elias does should really be termed "scud missile". He takes a different line to the apex and probably has a slower apex speed, but he's not hitting anyone....unless they don't give up the position and turn in on top of him. To me a missile is more of a T-boning- when someone has no hope of making the corner and they ram straight into you when you are leaned over.

Clear as mud?

19. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

In this foto, Rossi has stuffed it up the inside of Marquez, delaying Marquez's ability to turn.

[​IMG]

ToofPic likes this.
  20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

And here, you can see Marquez returning the favor with a bit more 'flavor'

[​IMG]

ToofPic likes this.