MotoAmerica | Championship of Utah | 20 Jul - 22 Jul

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fans, professional racers/teams, or racers who think pro racing should be set up for dilettante club racers? :D

2. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

You can look on Chris's facebook page. About a month ago he did a video where he shows the custom ram air box he fabricated along with the fairing inlet. It's pretty cool. I have a custom one on my 1st gen. I can show you the ram air box and how the carbon tank seals up around it on top. There are 2 inlets glassed on the front of the fairing made with redbull cans. From the fairing inlets to the ram air box are lightweight aluminum aircraft vacuum tubes. It works pretty good especially at big tracks like road america and daytona. Remind me and I can send you pictures tonight while I'm wrenching in the garage.

3. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The difference IMO is rider development and fan interest. I feel like there needs to be a class where riders can help develop the motorcycle they want instead of just playing the video game and riding what is available to them with nothing done to it. There are a bloomin million LW bikes out there doing trackdays and ridden on the street and a large percentage of them have something done to them. That is part of the enjoyment of motorcycling, getting a bike and making it your own. The people that come through the pits looking at the bike are asking questions like, what kind of forks are those, what wheels are those, what kind of power does it make.

I get SS classes for club racing and even agree with limited mods for the Junior cup class. I also beleive there should be a development class that is more open.
    I beleive the Kids that came up on 125GP bikes are better rounded riders than the ones that are coming through the current kids classes.

The only thing I really dont like about the current rules for the twins class is the required stock bore and stroke and them allowing the stupid expensive marelli ECU, though I dont know that anybody has dropped the coin for it yet. Wouldnt mind them allowing case mods also for the sake of reliability.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Blah blah blah bam! 200 wins. Now continue the chatter.

Attached Files:

5. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

6. Christopher Farros

Christopher Farros I just wanna go fast

that's pretty cool, riderz law has been stepping up a lot

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, good peeps.

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

the fans u are talking about do exist, but I still think they are few and far between. at the 10 MA rounds ive competed in, ive talked to maybe a dozen people that showed interest in those details. the majority of the posters ive signed were for kids that ride dirt bikes. id even say that 30% of autographs were for people that didnt even own a motorcycle. maybe those fans just didnt talk to me. but they def weren't the majority.

the fans u brought up, I call them fanatics. they are all over forums. they like Herrin's posts about his custom swingarm and oil pan. but they don't buy the majority of the tickets at the tracks. and they cant see most of that stuff during the race on TV or Youtube. so does it really matter? should the series cater to those fans? should the series cater to them IF its detrimental to the racing?

two other things:
    1. those fans have SBK to see "unobtanium" and all the trick parts they won't ever buy. Twins will never surpass that. I think we all agree that Twins shouldn't allow $10k SBK forks, but ya.
    2. my proposed rule changes were only for the motor, which are def hidden from the fans. Twins would still run their SS forks, wider rear wheels, etc.

9. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

10. stangmx13

generally, they go to court only in CA. but I think they know and work with people in other states as well. ill ask for more clarification too.

11. stangmx13

I was just told there are some circumstances where RiderzLaw can practice law in other states besides CA.

rcarson15 and Christopher Farros like this.
  12. turner38

You are right, we should just revert to stock everything and remove all creativity from the class. I bow to your superior experiance and intellect.

Of course, making the people that are actually already running the class and have built bikes for the class shit outdated and obsolete will certainly drop participation and interest in the class.

What class donyou ride anyhow? Who builds your motors? Do you just buy a new one from wallmart when you have a issue or is it repaired?

13. 418

418 Expert #59

Anyways...

I don't really do IG but Herrins account delivers.

Capture+_2018-07-26-16-51-46-1-1.png

And talking about self-promotion, his crash vid has almost half a million views on IG...

scottn, rcarson15, 5axis and 7 others like this.
  14. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

herrins account may just be the best motorcycle related IG page there is. always filled with good stuff

15. stangmx13

whoa, too far. personal attacks are uncalled for.

motors often get rebuilt annually. Im not so sure the current participants would be pissed off if the rules changed and their new engine was $2.5k to build instead of $5k. (guessing at figures). maybe the first year wouldn't be cheaper because of reverting to stock parts, I don't know.

im in SS. my last motor melted 2 pistons, destroyed 2 cylinders and the head, and was thrown away. I think we saved the crank, a few valves, and a few other parts. so ya, I ended up "buying a new one".

only 2 racers have been to every round. only 1 has started 4 of 5. only 1 has started 3 of 5. thats prob one major reason y this convo is even happening. I know some of them are here and id def be interested in hearing what they are willing to do to increase participation in the class.

rcarson15 and alan like this.
  16. turner38

We chose this class because of the rules and built a bike for it. It was what we felt would be the best route back into racing for Kris.
    Considered buying a 600 and running SS also. Chose twins because I feel like Kris is capable of winning races in it. We have been very competetive in it despite having mecanical issues. Being able to buy a ten year old bike and make it competetive seemed really apealing to us.

If they changed the rules to more stock based it would cost us money and others that are there to win races. It may add a few entries if they were really lucky, but I seriously doubt any of those it would bring in would be contenders to win or get on the box.

17. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

No I was wearing my helmet which you haven’t wore in, let me guess, forever or ever!

Keep peddling waste not info rob and expending your PayPal account here I’m still not buying your bullshit left coast way of thinking, evva

18. roy826ex

You go figure it out on your on BIG guy with the new love handle ID on the loving WERA BBS you just found...

lol

19. roy826ex

:D

20. Body shop was the least of the worries with that thing, it was so bad he needs to contact shervin to fix that one.