MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The bikes very well could be that capable :D

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Oh, hey. :D

cajun636 likes this.
  3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

That's seriously fast around there. He was always a great rider.

cajun636 likes this.
  4. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

From what i've seen, fast guys (like Starnes), on those big dolla air cooled ducs can run pretty much 600 times.

Considering some of them are 130hp and weigh 350lbs with suspension that cost more then my life, better run a 600 time.

I think this is the first time i've ever responded to Kris Wall with out being a sarcastic dickhead.

slimjim00 and Kris87 like this.
  5. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Yeah, that's progress. :D

I always wanted to race a SBK SV with a gob of torque but never forked over the money to build one. It would've helped my big ass.

6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Gotcha, my apologies.

I am genuinely interested though to hear why it is you think the 790 wouldn't match up with a 600 though if you're game to explain your thought process on it.

7. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

1:10 mark

I'm not gonna join the 790 vs 600 circle jerk, but it looks like that bike hauls ass. I really want one.

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'm thinking because if you are going build for build, 100 stock (790) vs. 110 stock (600 or.... GASP 636) and you do even a superbike build, you are still at a 10hp deficit. It's just that simple. Sure it has more torque. I'm not saying its not a fast nice bike, but it will get its ass spanked by a modern 600.... just like the purpose built 848 did. And that one was made to compete with the 600.

And don't even get me started on a parallel compared to a V twin.

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The funny part is that most of the guys who built big bore Lightweights for CCS were not fast guys. So looking at what they did or didn't do isn't really relevant to what some SV superstar did at a WERA race.

With the exception of Kevin Mendez. He did take his Bimota to Roebling and set some kind of alien lap time, but I don't remember what it was now- many years back.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid: :D

11. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

That thing looks pretty sweet. As soon as it's out and homologated, I'm in.

I was really leaning towards the FZ, but the idea of not having to do any motor work would be great. Send the suspension to T-man, safety wire it, and go.

Of course I would have to have some kind of bodywork made, it doesn't look very racy as is.

12. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Please do enlighten us

13. WANABE RACER

WANABE RACER Well-Known Member

I wonder how easy the 390 bodywork would mount

14. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

Why would you do 390 bodywork? Probably the worst looking bike out there.

If you wanted to keep it in KTM family, RC8 upper/lower with 390 tail.

Gino230, 03RumbleBee and WANABE RACER like this.
  15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I can't recall of a single Parallel twin that makes more than a V twin of the same type of build type. Hell my turd of a 1990 stock VTR250 was able to keep up engine wise with the 2008+ EX250's.

If they made the 790 a Vtwin it would stomp the shit out of all of them. Even more so than it's 100cc advantage will now.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Yeah.... I'm gonna need a tad bit more than that to convince me. By your theory, a 645cc SV should make more HP per cc than say...an R3. It doesn't. But that doesn't mean one configuration doesn't have more potential. My theory- there's more V2's out there because "character" and we're seeing more parallel configs now due to ease of manufacturing and better use of space/packaging. I bet the 2 designs have very similar potential outputs.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Will clipons be able to be used without a custom tank? It's hard to tell from the pictures I've looked at but it looks like the tank may be in the way.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

FZ07 is cross plane, so is the KTM790. That's why they sound like a v-twin instead of some shitty EX500 with the muffler about to fall off (tuna). Possibly why they both make big power, that and they weren't designed in 1998

cajun636 likes this.
  19. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

1998 sv still make more power and looks better than FZ.:D

RRP, regularguy, swiest152 and 2 others like this.
  20. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Bay's and me were close at a 16.7 and 16.8 a year ago.

exracer941, Kris87 and r6boater like this.