1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small batteries

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

I did and they offered to replace at 75$ because it was just outside of the 1 year. I decided to put the money towards another shorai though.

2. -Eric-

-Eric- Well-Known Member

I've had an 8 cell moty in my 1000 street bike for a few years with no problems. It's smaller than the oem, but not by a ton. Only regret is getting the quick disconnect. Takes up too much room and I plug it in in the spring then unplug it in the fall, so not much time saved

A friend has a 4 cell in his R6 race bike. Its 50/50 to get it started in the morning, usually no problems after that

3. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

It does take quite a bit more juice to start a 1K compared to a puny little 675.

Gorilla George likes this.
  4. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I had a shorai in 2 different track only bikes for 7 years. Never had a tender on it since I don't have a lithium charger.
    It died last year finally. No telling how long it wouldve gone but the bike has been sitting for about 21 months. It just didn't want to start the other day.

5. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

The 3 Year Limited Warranty is on a pro-rated basis based on the original date of purchase.
    - 1 – 12 Months – Free Replacement -
    12 – 24 Months – 50% discount from retail
    24 – 36 Months – 25% discount from retail

https://www.ballistic-batteries.com/warrantyPolicy.php

Sounds like we offered you exactly what we say we offer..... What a bunch of weirdos LOL

MELK-MAN and noles19 like this.
  6. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

FYI, you do not need a lithium charger for these batteries. I have the WPS 8-cell and was ready to purchase a lithium charger from the Battery Tender booth at the DC bike show. Spoke to the guy there and told him I already have the Battery Tender Jr. and he stated that the Jr. has a smaller output to safely charge and maintain Lithium batteries. I was ready to spend money and he talked me out of it. Pretty cool of him, I think.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I have a standard Noco G750 battery charger. They told me I would need another model or I may hurt the lithium battery due to over charging. It's one of those chargers that you just plug in and it automatically charges it. I'm not sure what is right or wrong so I just never charged it, and honestly it didn't really ever need it.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

My 8 cell has got to be ten yrs old. I took it out a year ago just on principal not because anything was wrong with it lol. It's been in the bottom of my toolbox since. I just checked it and it's holding 13v a year later.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

A tentative selection list, in no particular order, based on significantly smaller than OEM:
    - Full Spectrum Pulse P1
    - earthX ETZ5G These have a (BMS) Battery Management System that ensures balanced charging. There's an ETX12A that's 1/2" shorter than OEM but has more protective features than the ETZ.
    - Antigravity Batteries SC-1
    - Ballistic EVO2 4 cell

How important do y'all think "balanced charging" is?
    I know they all say a bike's charging system will do the job, but there has to be a compromise, doesn't there? Wouldn't batteries designed to be balance charged live longer if they're balance charged?
    earthX is the only one to address this with a built-in processor. (They mention it, no one else.)

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

WPS batteries have a built in cell equalizer so you can use a regular charger. Plus I liked the led display that shows current charge. Those are some cool features.

wrx_02 and Canadian Bacon like this.
  11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

With a constant trickle charge ala a bike with a charging system they'll all self balance over time. On the flip side, I have the Ballistic branded balance charger for my 8 cell, and I've done a full balance charge I think four times in it's 6 years of life and every time it's really had no measurable imbalance to speak of at the start of the process. This is on a battery that gets hammer charged by Batt Tenders (non lithium versions, and now an Optimate Lithium 4S 5A unit for quicker charging) and then drawn down by the starter and running the bike for a session (no charging system) only to get nailed again before the next session, four to eight times a day for three or four days a race weekend, 7 times a year. This should be the worst case scenario and it just doesn't care. There was a good thread back in the day on the ADV forum with a member testing this and other things extensively on the lithiums available at the time if you want to see numbers on the topic.

One of these days I'll make a balance cable for the Shorai in my collection... but given how the Ballistic has behaved I'm in no rush.

12. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:crackup:
    How dare you do what it says!

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Not really, has alot more to do with how many cc's are on the compression stroke. 225 vs 250
    I'd guess a 500 single draws more amps than a 1000 gixxer.

14. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

fully function for 1 year? sad

15. noles19

A year replacement Warranty for a year is sad?

16. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

u could try 2 Antigravity 4Cells. one in the bike, one outside the bike that u connect just for starts. I have no idea on the quality of the batteries, but ive seen that setup done on race bikes before.

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'd think a BMS was worth mentioning on these products.
    Then again, it's just a battery, right?
    Or are there real concerns about monitoring LiFePo4 batteries?
    I just want to put it in and forget about it for 5 years. It will likely never see any charging other than that delivered by the bike's system.

18. zstylem86

i think so. if the product is great, those batteries should easily last 5,6,7 years. the only thing protecting you in the first year is if it's completely a DUD or if it's user error. thus companies shorten the warranty to offset all cases. and i'm sure that 25% off is based on retail, which you can shop around and get on your own anyway.

19. noles19

Well have to agree to disagree.
    I just know in my experience I've had ballistic for over a year and it's been perfect.
    And the reason I went with ballistic is because I had another brand of battery that failed in a few months and they wouldn't do anything for it. Absolutely nothing...
    With ballistic that's not the case, and if you did have an issue two of the top people with the company are racers, and are on this forum, so at the very least you don't have to worry about getting ahold of them...

20. zstylem86

what brand? so that we all steer clear. i've never had a battery take a dump on me within 1 year - ever. maybe i'm just lucky...