1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 Vintage Classes

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Gents - I’m new to this forum and thread. I’m also one of the new guys finalizing his plans to race my Honda CB350 thanks to Jack! Please count me in for 2018 in the southeast.

Looking forward to meeting you guys in person and getting on the track in WERA Vintage. GP350 class I believe - I will be following Jack’s lead to get the most racing out of my bike.

videojack likes this.
  2. charles

charles The Transporter

Okay, so Thursday around 5:30 PM and I read through all of this…geez, just my luck- finally able to come out this year ( woulda been 2017 except we had some hurricane flooding issues to deal with), and now I don't see a clear path for the nice Yam RZ I've been preparing…bullshit on the 'performance indexing' crap, I'd just like to ride and do the best I can, one more paying customer…so if anyone has any good ideas, let me know where my RZ can fit in…I know Mark Morrow has a good-running RZ, I sold it to him…so there are two paying customers on RZ's…and yea, I get it that changes are necessary because it's a money thing and decisions must be made for the organization…O Great Mongo the Merciless, lead us though the Valley of Vintage Death.

videojack likes this.
  3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

I am working on an RZ I picked up also... Wanted to bring it out later this year but I am still terrified of the pits.

4. charles

charles The Transporter

For an affordable fee, I can provide protection for you in the pits…or sell you a special-made 'commando' 3 ft long screwdriver with curare-tip.

JBall likes this.
  5. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

You guys are funny...I think insurance is important for everyone on track when you two ever get back out with us....soooooo give us a big heads up when Sir Charles and Wobbly Bobbly make it back to the track.... Danger Danger Will Robins....

6. Yamaha Fan

The perfect statement for the guy that berates riders on the track, feigns cutting them off for some unknown or unseen race infraction, maybe we can get Sean to change your handle to The Robot or Danger Will Robinson.

yamageezer likes this.
  7. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Its Robinson, Will Robinson!

8. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Your correct Jack... been awhile since I watch Lost in space... But, Wobbly Bobbly is still out there ...

9. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The RZ you now have can win in Clubman and D Superbike Sportsman classes. Index in some vintage classes into those two classes and it could be wicked fun.

yamageezer and Yamaha Fan like this.
  10. Yamaha Fan

I never considered checking modern classes I could enter because I did not have a reason to stay over on Sunday, now I do!

yamageezer and 50Joe like this.
  11. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear the bitching from the modern bike guys when we pull up on our smoking "junk" with no tyre warmers!

beechkingd, charles and VFR#52 like this.
  12. Scott K

Scott K New Member

Hello guys, I am new to the forum and this thread. I am another of Jack's newbies, and look forward to meeting all of you this year. The early thought is GP350, eager to see how it unfolds. Thanks.

videojack likes this.
  13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Oh yea, here's another thought. Since transponders are used there could be a time/lap credit for older and slower bikes combined into upper classes. Pretty easy to figure this out per class based on many years of Mylaps data. So, after the race is finished you readjust the finishing order based on if certain bikes entered get a time/lap credit. An Excel spreadsheet to do the calculations easy peasy so past race results could still be posted quickly.

Me thinks this could really help attendance if riders know they could still podium on their classic steeds based on this idea.

Scott K and Yamaha Fan like this.
  14. Yamaha Fan

I prefer to be slotted in where my bike is competitive, now the handicap is me the rider and I can live with that...

You are proposing bracket road racing.......

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

If it fills the grids, why not?

16. Yamaha Fan

Hey I am willing to try it, just have to learn to be VERY consistent... Not that anyone ever sandbagged in bracket racing :D

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Eh? What the hell are you talking about? I caused any accidents or problems for anyone? When? I thought the effort here was to pull together to keep vintage going, not make 'comments'…straight me out on this.

VFR#52 and 50Joe like this.
  18. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Sorry Transporter, no intelligent signs of live in this time zone.

19. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Holy Crap! The Transporter is coming back out??!!
    I will see you on the track sir!

50Joe likes this.
  20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Take 250GP, 350GP, 500GP, V1, V2, V3 & V4 and make 3 classes: 0 - 500; 500 - 750 & open. 2 strokes enter a displacement class at 1.75xdisplacement. Don't differentiate between disk or drum brakes, frame or carb restrictions, i.e., basically superbike rules for the vintage displacement classes. Does that give enough track time for other races on which WERA can make $$$'s?

stickboy274, CharlieY and Yamaha Fan like this.