1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Jun 1, 2016.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hopefully he called the local police to assist the backing.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You mean cars don't understand hazards mean a semi is backing up? :D

3. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

No they don't. Some stupid bastard drove right behind my trailer when I was blind-siding off of a street a couple of weeks ago. He proceeded to say "I didn't see no backup lights, fix yer fuckin' trailer."

I do realize your comment was sarcastic...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    ToofPic and dtalbott like this.
  4. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

Serious question because I have never noticed before. Don't semi trailers have backup lights?

I know some trucks have the annoying BEEP! BEEP! when they are backing up and that actually works to get your attention.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, trailers do not have backup lights. If you're in a parking lot or on the street where a truck could be backing into a dock and you see a semi with it's hazard lights on, odds are good they're trying to back up. The beeping works great for anyone standing by the truck, useless for the idiots in cars and a lot of times other semis (especially in truck stops).

418 likes this.
  6. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Nope.
    And, I don't think my guy had any help, he didn't mention it as a big deal. I don't know what I would have done.

7. Mot Okstef

OK cool. Thanks! I learned something new today. Now I will pay more attention if I see a semi trailer with the hazards on. I had no idea! At least with cars the hazards usually mean you are broke down and not moving.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Or they mean it's raining...

Mot Okstef likes this.
  9. Mot Okstef

10. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

That's weird that I've never heard of/thought about this... Seems like something that would be pretty necessary to have if they're necessary on cars...

11. dtalbott

No backup lights just increases the fun factor when you have to back in at a tight DC and they are too cheap to light the damn place up.

ToofPic and Brian_J like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're required on cars so YOU can see where you're going. Not an issue on a trailer. You can't see shit that far back at night with or without reverse lights.

badmoon692008 and dtalbott like this.
  13. dtalbott

Oh, I do have some nifty utility lights I can turn on when backing the truck, but they are useless when a trailer is attached.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. There's a reason some OO's have movable spots like cops cars on the back of the truck.

15. dtalbott

I thought about picking up some rechargable lights that attach be magnet to help back up at night, but the company won't reimburse, so I won't.

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

You understand how dumb that sounds, right?

Company pays you for the miles. They couldn't give a rats ass if you take 10 min or 10 hours to back up...then you go and bitch how anytime anything happens it's the drivers fault. So when you ram the back of the trailer into something it's your fault, but you won't spend $20 on some cheapo lights?

My company doesn't pay for my backpack which I use to travel. According to your thinking I should use a garbage bag.

Was it you i saw a picture of the interior of the truck and how filthy if was and how you refuse to clean it as they don't pay you to do that?

I mean, seriously?!

17. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I thought hazard lights meant "park wherever you please."

ToofPic and badmoon692008 like this.
  18. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

One of our guys this morning was talking about how he found no oil on his dipstick this morning during pre-trip. The shop manager said that was impossible because the night shift had done a PM last night. He took the shop manager our there and sure enough, no oil. Put 43 qt in it. Best part is that the guy drove it about 1/8 mile from the shop back to it's parking spot with no oil and never noticed the oil pressure gauge or warning sound.

Mechanic is supposedly getting written up at the very least. May not get fired as we're having trouble getting qualified mechanics. (Maybe they need to pay better?)

ToofPic likes this.
  19. dtalbott

Interior is fairly clean. Outside is dirty. No, I'm not cleaning it.

And no, I'm not paying for the lights, and I'm not hitting anything, either. Just takes longer to dock, but I get paid after the first hour.

20. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I molested another car at the beginning
    of her lane closing /again.
    Coca cola 2 Dumbass cars 0
    Had this one on camera for gsp to watch.
    She went right into my front wheel.
    She was charged :flag:
    Another night filling out accident report

BigBird, Banditracer and dtalbott like this.