1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moto2 bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Oct 23, 2017.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Regardless...if you want to buy an older Moto2 bike from the early years of the class Broome, you can get one fairly easily through Passerini Performance located in PA. They can import it over for you and I've seen him sell them for as low as 30,000. Granted that's from the early years of Moto2 but still

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Wait, Broome isnt talking about buying a USED motorcycle, is he? Whats going price on a brand new 2017 moto2 bike?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Be careful who you buy them from. The old Air Asia bikes (red/white bikes) are in the states and they’re raging piles of 30k shit. Bent forks and swing arms. I think it would be cool to ride one but I would rather ride something else I can yard sale and walk away from it. Even a Panigale.

4. There is a dealer in CA selling Suter Moto2 bikes, prices start at $45,000. It is the same dealer who is handling the 500cc V4 2-strokes.

(Actuality they are 576cc; they made the modern ones larger capacity so you end up with the same power as the old ones, with more durability and longer service interval)

5. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Currently Lost

Personal preference and also sponsorship. I rode on many different brands but personally preferred Pirelli and Metzeler. Yeah, I'm that old when I started racing it was on Metzeler. :)

Not saying it's the case today with all the improvements, but back in the day a Michelin would let loose with no warning and you'd be on your head. I know that's apples to oranges, just trying to state my point. You stick with the brand that works for you and gives you confidence.

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. Agree 100%.

I've tried all brands, even raced on Continentals for a year. I gave them all an honest run. I didn't just slap on a set, do a few laps, and say "those suck".

I spent months, or even a whole year on all of them. Experimented with setup, spring rates, etc.

When it was all said and done, the Pirelli's work for me. They give me the most confidence and I love the feel. Some people think they are too squishy and have a hard time differentiating between the tires "loading up" and actually moving around. Some of that can be dialed out with setup and pressure. But personally, I like it. I like feeling everything, feeling the tire load up, knowing what the front is always doing, etc.

Of course there is always the deal I get with them. But that is secondary. I made my choice based on performance, feel, and confidence.

I feel so strongly about the Pirelli's that if it boiled down to a Moto2 bike HAS to be on Dunlops, I wouldn't ride one. That would be a deal breaker.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Shit!!!!!

I just got an offer for you to race Moto2. :crackup: I will let them know to forget it now.

8. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I'm fine with Dunlops and Pirelli. They both grip and they both provide feel.

Princesses and the peas over here...

9. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Who rode Geoff's Moto2 effort at Austin in 2013?

10. grasshopper

11. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

I don’t think they did Austin that year but Ripsoli did a wildcard at Indy that summer. And of course Gagne also rode for Geoff, either in 2011 or 2012.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

That's the MotoGP bike from 2013.

Yates on MotoGP at Indy 2012
    Barney at COTA MotoGP 2013
    Rispoli on the Mistral at Indy Moto2 2013

grasshopper likes this.
  13. grasshopper

Thank you for the history lesson. Cheers!

14. 27

27 Well-Known Member

That’s Geoff himself in the pic you posted if you’re asking that...

I think Ty Howard actually had the fastest test time at COTA out of all that rode it at the test.

15. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

DiSalvo rode the GPTech Moto2 at Indy to a 9th place finish.

16. grasshopper

I know that is Geoff. I took that picture of him at Gingerman back in 2013 I think. I was asking who the rider(s) were that rode the bike.

17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Oh... were you there at Gman when Taylor and I first rode that thing? Fucking wouldn’t start and T and I geared up waiting and Maloney goes to get a hot dog... classic Geoff... :D

18. grasshopper

I might have been. Hell I've forgotten about more times at the track than I remember... LOL. A good Geoff story just popped in my head but there's no way I'm typing it out...

19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Dude, he’s not shy and hasn’t a concern in the world... he’s on here all the time... let it rip...

Bunch of us were busting s gut at the track recently telling Maloney stories... always a good time... thanks Geoff!

grasshopper likes this.