1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AHRMA Next Gen 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamatr3, Oct 21, 2017.

1. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

I know there are a few AHRMA people here too, but I thought I'd post up some rule book changes for next year.

AHRMA finally fixed the Ducati updating of engine rules for Next Gen 1. For that class next year, Ducati 851/888's can run later cases but the must run 851/888 heads and cylinders. That should level the playing field a bit in that class and get rid of all the 996 engines that they were running.

New for next year, Next Gen 2. Class was approved by the board, rules are being finalized now. We need to get the word out so we can get some more bikes out there for both classes. Bike list is as follows for Next Gen 2.

Approved Motorcycles

Aprilia RSV Mille 1st Gen only, including Mille SP, Mille R and replicas. Specifically Haga and Edwards.

All Ducati motorcycles must use Desmoquattro engines only, no Testastretta engines, heads or components.

Ducati 851, 888; Ducati 748, 748R, 748RS with big bore; Ducati 916, 916SP, 916 Corsa and 916R; Ducati 996, 996S, 996SPS, 996RS.

Kawasaki ZX7, ZX7R, ZX7RR models included are J, K, L, M, N and P1-P7.

Suzuki GSXR 750 N thru X (Srad), TL1000R

Honda RC30, RC45, RC51 SP1

Yamaha YZF750R and YZF750SP

Yamaha R7

Please spread the word! I'm sure there are lots of bikes that can be brought out for this new class.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In!

VFR#52 likes this.
  3. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Is this a completely different class? Cause it looks like a lot of the same bikes in Gen one? Need years of bikes that fit? Cant find anything on the Ahrma Site either..
    Should have kept my Mille ..

4. yamatr3

Yes, it is a completely different class. They will run Next Gen 1 and 2 together, however, they will be scored separately. If enough bikes sign up, they will probably split the class.

This class has different models but does have a couple carry over bikes. The carry over bikes are, the 851/888 (that is because so many people built 996 motors for their 888"s. They rewrote the Next Gen 1 rules to take care of the updating engine issues as those bikes were dominating), the RC30, and the Kawasaki ZX7R J and K (the smart people would run those bikes in Next Gen 1 as they would be more competitive). The rest of the bikes are new. For instance, the GSXR 750N is the first year of the water cooled GSXR 750. The GSXR 750W is the last year of the SRAD, everything in between is legal in Next Gen 2. This class is basically the next series of bikes up to the year 2000ish.

There is nothing on the AHRMA site yet as the board just voted on it two weeks ago. It will be officially announced once the rules are 100% approved by the rules committee, which will be in the next few days. The new rule book will go out very soon.

I'm just trying to get the word out early. We are trying to get more bikes out for these classes. If it doesn't happen, the Next Generation classes will get the AXE. There are many people in AHRMA that see the Next Generation class as a modern class even though most bikes are almost 20 years old. Vintage to them is 70's and before.

5. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

They should have kicked J and K Kaws out of Gen 1.

6. michael_chicago

michael_chicago Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. That's really exciting. I always lamented that the original class missed such a large segment of the "Golden Era" of Superbike racing. I guess it's all relative, but I was in my 20's and the bikes and racing of the 90's are my favorites.

Hopefully the grids will be there to support the class. I've got a YZF750 and Gen 1 Aprilia and it's nice to see they slot into V7 Heavyweight and the Ahrma class. FMRRA in South Florida also lets some of the early twins (916, Aprilia etc.) run against the 1200cc air-cooled Ducks if they are in SS trim.

7. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

First year of water cooled gsxr750 is the “w” model and it’s a big fat pig, it’s the heaviest gsxr750 ever made! I have one in my garage collecting dust and it made you work on the track.

8. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Would like to race with AHRMA, WERA, at NJMP and AMA Vintage days next season. Been asking AHRMA for a few years now if my YZF750R will ever be legal. Bike will be finished soon.

My last race was the 2009 GNF. What do I need to do to race with AHRMA. Any info appreciated.

Henry R. Picco
    WERA # 400
    2009 D-Superbike NE MA Champ
    2009 V6 LW 3rd.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Probably when my FZ600 is legal, which I expect will be never. :D

Come back and race with WERA, we need people on the grid.

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

:stupid:What Kurt said. AHRMA-Schmarma. Younger, cooler, much better looking people race WERA. :D

V5 Racer and VFR#52 like this.
  11. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

So to be clear would a 97 F3 600 be legal to race in Next Gen 2 class?
    If so im sure a few of Us V7 MW guy would show up.
    I know i would like to.
    My old 86 VFR 750 is not competitive against ZX7RR.
    Be interesting for sure.

Steven Isenhower #52

12. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Steven, the way I read the Next Gen 2 is that AHRMA wants period correct superbikes on the grid, not the popular supersport/ support series bikes of the same era. I'd love to do a few rounds with my F3, but we'll have to ask first.

13. pawpawrc

pawpawrc Well-Known Member

No, it's not by year or displacement. It is a specific list of bikes. The only hondas are rc30, 45, 51.

14. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I'm used to bumping up a class with WERA.

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

As the list states.....

Approved Motorcycles

Aprilia RSV Mille 1st Gen only, including Mille SP, Mille R and replicas. Specifically Haga and Edwards.

All Ducati motorcycles must use Desmoquattro engines only, no Testastretta engines, heads or components.

Ducati 851, 888; Ducati 748, 748R, 748RS with big bore; Ducati 916, 916SP, 916 Corsa and 916R; Ducati 996, 996S, 996SPS, 996RS.

Kawasaki ZX7, ZX7R, ZX7RR models included are J, K, L, M, N and P1-P7.

Suzuki GSXR 750 N thru X (Srad), TL1000R

Honda RC30, RC45, RC51 SP1

Yamaha YZF750R and YZF750SP

Yamaha R7

16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well good luck with that class then.
    We know that racers have lots of those bikes collecting dust in garages just waiting to be raced. Lol.
    But thanks for info.

Steven Isenhower #52

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  17. yamatr3

Your YZF750R is Legal in Next Gen 2.

Go here to find out more info about AHRMA.
    http://www.ahrma.org/new-racers/

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  18. yamatr3

600's are not legal as of now. Maybe in the future, if this revision of Next Gen 1 and the addition of Next gen 2 goes well. We need to show them that this class will be supported. if we could get 10 bikes in each class every rascal that would go a long way towards cementing tis next generation of bikes.

Your 86 VFR does not race against a ZX7RR as the ZX7RR is only legal for the Next Gen 2 class. It does race against the 91-92 Zx7R though. Unfortunately, not every bike is going to be competitive. I built a 90 Zx7 for Next generation 1 knowing it would not be a winner, I just liked that model bike.

19. yamatr3

The VFR series of Honda's are legal in the Next gen 1 class.

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I get the intent of the class and understand the list of approved bikes (it is listed twice, after all). Steven & I were just looking for other options to race our F3s. Maybe down the road something will develop.

VFR#52 likes this.