1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rapes and more

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by lrrs517, Oct 10, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Can I just not?

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

'tis, for the time being, a free country.

3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Libs are always about being on the safe side. Who cares what the totality or truth is.
    It's always about,
    If we can just save one.
    If we can just prevent one.
    If we can just affect one.

Nevermind the remainder of the majority that gets trampled along the way, truth be damned.

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Caring is better than doing...that's for someone else. Now where is my collection of colored ribbon pins?

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

#ThemToo. :crackup:

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I just want everybody to know that, just for today, I have managed to work up the maximum amount of empathy possible for everybody in the world* so, just for today, I am the best person in the world. All you can see when you look in my direction is the blinding light of white knighthood.
    Damn, I'm proud of myself.

*Straight white males excepted, they are the devil.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sweet. Today I am identifying as an Inuit lesbian.

8. In Your Corner

Pickings for a mate must be slim.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not much slim up here.

10. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

You can set a good example for others.

You can be respectful to others.

You can tell people to be respectful when they are being assholes to others.

You can acknowledge that others have been through some shit they didn't deserve.

That's it. No gender on that.

I am aware that I am generally labeled as a woman with internalized misogyny because of my feelings on these issues. But, I feel like everyone yelling about sexual harassment makes it harder for rape and abuse victims, because it does, just look at this thread.

Harassment isn't okay. The sheer amount of it that women experience isn't okay. The expectation that we owe someone sex for a date or sex because a man likes us and is a friend to us, isn't okay. It happens all of the time. Countless women who say no to sex from a "nice guy" are then berated and call horrid names for it. Not okay. I think most people understand this. We don't owe you anything. Just like men don't owe us anything either. We owe each respect and acknowledgement of our humanity.

The main rule I go by in life is: "Don't be an asshole." That's it. Why is that so difficult?

scottn, jrsamples, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

12. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Leaving aside all the possible "real victims" you know who have never said anything about it, how exactly do you know these others are lying? You were there? Someone else told you a different story? The examples in the media are perfect analogs (as if all those are proven liars)? Where do you get this magic truth?

The problem with storylines like this are it gets polarized pretty quick, and the main messages get lost. Are there liars claiming victimhood? Yes. Should they be outed? Yes. Does it hurt the mainline story of real assault? Yes. Does it warrant undermining that mainline story that rape and assault are widespread and systematic? That many, many people have closed off these experiences due to self-preservation, and might, with social impetus come forward in a true effort to help themselves get out from the cloud it holds over them? Not to me.

SuddenBraking and jase like this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

IMG_4648.JPG LMFAO

auminer and jrsamples like this.
  15. pickled egg

Here's my take on it.

You claim rape, it better be to get your issues addressed and resolved and not to add a notch to your movement du jour hey I'm a part of this too me me me me me shit.

As a general rule, those who crow the loudest are the mockingbirds.

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You cannot possibly understand unless you are an old white guy

17. In Your Corner

Police say about 40% of rape reports are false.
    Now take into account that we're talking about tweets and FB posts, so nobody is going to check.
    No actual claim is even needed, just #metoo.
    By all means, let's take those claims seriously, just in case. :rolleyes:

#metoo

18. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

Can we get a credible citation on that? Research is really tricky in that area but even so, I've never read anything that high.

19. G Costanza

G Costanza Well-Known Member

It's kind of weird that you're saying if someone claims rape it should be to "get their issues addressed" when with virtually any other crime, everyone's first thought would be that people come forward to demand justice.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it makes it sound like coming forward for the sole reason of putting a rapist in jail is an afterthought.

20. pickled egg

Obviously you're not married to a victim...