1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Good life insurance and god parents.

2. First is very well taken care of the 2nd, I don't plan on killing my wife

3. Or maybe friends who have a bit more flex in their work schedules.

4. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Like used2b said, careful risk management, Spot thingy, and I let wifey know trails I'm gonna be hitting so she can send help if I've not reported in when I said I would. I went up to Royal Blue last Sunday and roamed around a bit by myself. Nice 3 hours of riding. db1.jpg

5. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Some trees were down etc, but to my knowledge they were only closed for a few days after the storm for trail cleanup.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Garmin inreach

7. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

croom just reopened friday, i rode friday, today and heading up again tomorrow. LOTS of stuff all over the ground, fair number of trees fell, etc. Some parts of the park are worse than others, but all in all, can't beat it for a place to ride offroad that isn't a MX track. It will be a good while before it looks like it used to, but i suspect in a few months many of the single track and 4-wheeler trails will have the branches pushed aside. Right now, ya need to be a little cautious as the branches hide the depth of some whoops, and potential bigger branches lurking below. I'm stating stuff as a rider that covers nearly every square inch in a given month, so i'm pretty bummed, but optimistic it will get better and better, the more we ride.
    the campground is still closed as they are waiting for the water test to come back, but i'm sure it will be open shortly..

8. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

You guys missed out on a really good time.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Similar to the incident detection system on the Garmin bicycle computers, I imagine. I was moving at a good clip a few weekends ago and had to come to abrupt stop because of a flat, and the incident detection thing turned on. It gave you 30 seconds to cancel it or else it called your ICE number with a predetermined message and your GPS coordinates, I believe.

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

No. Manual.

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Took my 300 out yesterday. Fun times. I think I am FINALLY going to install this new front tire and Tubliss setup. I only bought it like 4 months ago. LOL

Knotcher and MELK-MAN like this.
  12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Put in a solid 20 miles at the Bluffs Saturday morning. First time it’s been decent weather here or not to wet since April.

Headed up to the Arkansas Ozarks for some off road riding end of October.

13. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I haven’t ridden antunless set up since 2005 and I didn’t care for the feel it had nor the ability to air up and down for conditions as they changed. Super heavy tubes are really good.

14. MELK-MAN

pretty sure it's been discussed, but paint the inside of tire and the red tubliss liner with alum. safe "slime" (per Jeff at Tubliss) . Front tires are prone to losing air around the tire bead and the tubliss liner. love these things otherwise.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yep I remember you saying that! I got a bottle of Slime and a cheap chip brush just for the job.

I know some people have said they don't like the feel of them, but what's the difference between running 12PSI in a Tubliss setup or 12 PSI in a normal tube setup? It's kind of unfair to compare 8PSI or so you can run in Tubliss compared to double digit pressures ran in a tube...of course it's going to feel different.

16. MELK-MAN

no difference, aside from slightly lighter overall than a hd or ultra hd tube... both setups are using air and carcass sidewalls for suspension.

bib mousse inserts have a much different feel than tubliss/tubes. It's a dense foam insert like a pool noodle. It has more of a dead feel. However, when blasting palmetto roots, rocks, and other nasty sections, dead isn't such a bad feel to have vs. deflecting. (and bibs can't fail, but are expensive to keep replacing as they wear out)

I dont' see a reason to run as much as 12 psi in the tubliss though. Try it though, see what you like. also depending on tire, michelin star cross 5 for example, don't don't go below 8psi due to it's soft carcass. Some stiffer carcass tires, you can get away with lower psi. For mx tracks? I don't see a need in going lower than 7-8 either. Ya need some stability for cornering. 5-6psi, front will just feel mushy and will be hard to turn. Goat trails? nasty single track? that's where running less pays off..

17. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Speaking of FL... Who has been to pax trax recently... That place was awesome when I holidayed in st. Augustine

18. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

IMG_8790.JPG IMG_8791.JPG IMG_8789.JPG IMG_8708.JPG Solo today. Pics from that, plus fresh tars and wheels action.

roy826ex likes this.
  19. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

So, say I was getting back into dirt bikes and my only experience with them was waaaaay back about 20 years ago riding 250cc 2T's, and all I wanted to do was ride woods......should I choose a 2012 CRF250X or a 2014 KTm 300XC-W? Both are in great shape but the 250X is $1K less. I vaguely remember having to be gracious with the throttle, so I'm not exactly a complete noob to the ways of the smokers, but will that 300 be way too much?

20. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

I raced a 300 in gncc and they are great woods bike, good low end grunt for a 2t compared to the 250’s. W’s give you the wide range tranny so low 1st gear great for woods.