1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Just did the 1 hour service on the new bike, put some stuff on but still waiting for a few parts in the mail, looks like I'll finally ride this weekend!

20170821_175033_resized.jpg

20170812_144140_resized.jpg

20170822_180506_resized.jpg

2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Quoting this because I'm doing some research on YZ250F and this post is right after where you bought yours.............and if memory serves promptly broke your sternum. Hopefully that's all healed up now, but seeing this post made me chuckle a bit.............

Anyways, any big differences between 250F years? And how much of a ticking time bomb are these engines?

3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I signed myself and some race buds up for a 24 hour offroad race because I am an idiot.

4. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

That's one way to guarantee yourself a complete engine rebuild.

5. That sounds completely retarded and I want in....just not on my 450.

terminus est likes this.
  6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

WR250R is your bike for that race!!

7. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

'14 went to efi, i have a '13 no engine or trans problems that I've encountered. '07-13 are aluminum framed. Thumpertalk has more info

SuddenBraking likes this.
  8. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

At some point the yz250f went with the reversed motor layout, intake at the front of the head, exhaust at the rear. Supposed to be better handling. The factory service manual calls for a new piston after every 6 races if I remember correctly.

250fx will be more woods/trail friendly.
    250x will be easier/cheaper to maintain, plus 2-stroke, like a proper race bike.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  9. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

I rode the Perry Mountain 24hr race in May. I had no business being there, it was awesome, the track changed constantly and it was a new challenge every time I went out. It made me a much better rider.

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

1. It's a team race and you can ride your own bikes. Transponder must be swapped between riders. We have setup an XR650R with stupid amounts of LED for the night sessions that we will share. Helmet lights will be backups incase we need to swap to one of the other bikes. I'm debating between my 300RR 2T and my XR650R. It's more of a desert race than ST.

2. Good. The Beta rebuild is easy because it is the right type of motor! The XR is getting sent out for 680 kit with new cams, ported head, etc. anyhow!

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I should have looked around for you. I was on the team heavyweights (big dual sport bikes). I was on the 950 KTM. :) We had fun, finished the race, and most of us didn't crash our brains out. Turned out I had a sinus infection, so my riding was lackluster, but we had a good time.

next year we have been talking about going the opposite direction and racing pit bikes (TTR125, KLX140, etc). I'm in if we can figure out lighting. :)

12. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

I know there`s a lot of hardships in Fla. right now & don`'t want to sound selfish but, does anyone know the conditions at Croom ? I`m trying to make winter plans & curious if it`s still standing ? the FB page has not been updated since the 4th & can't find any
    other info.

13. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

I was the bozo on the ugly old Xr250. eGood bike for that race as it's a couch and would motor up any hill. I might do iron man next year, I would hate to hold rvemy team back, I'm not anywhere near as fast as my friends that ride it every year. A crf150f would be a good one for the pit bike idea, just big enough to handle the ruts and whooped out sections in the last hours. My cousin won the 9 hr on a crf230. I think soft (power wise and suspension) is better for these type races. Gotta last physically. There are not adequate words to describe how awesome a 24hr woods race is. Anyone who is curious should give it a shot, I feel like a more complete being having ridden in it.

14. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

A rather large group of current, former and never motorcycle racists are headed up to Wolverine, Michigan to ride the Tomahawk trails. Those trails are some of the best in terms of variety and challenge, in all of lower Michigan. It all starts 28 September. And most of them are from Ohio, so apologies for that. Base camp will be at Weber Lake. Bring your spare liver and bail money. PM me should you need more details.

16. I'm spoiled with tons of trails like this 20 minutes from my house, still haven't been out with the stroker motor 300 yet due to complete lack of time. If I don't go to assen next weekend I'm going riding.

Side note: any of you ride alone? If so what do you use for safety? I.e. Crash and are knocked out etc. there's some stuff I saw for skiers but not sure what to use.

17. Used2Bfast 2

Yeah I live 20 minutes from these too. My home trails. 21 miles yesterday of very technical, high(5000'), very remote and rarely used trails.

Yes, I ride these same trails solo often. Risk mgmt. ..i.e. Don't crash hard(lol), carry spare master links, tools, minimal supplies like food, water, life straw, fire, space blanket, candle, toilet paper, tow rope, etc.

18. Where are you at? I carry spares, survival supplies and all that stuff I was more thinking I've fallen and I can't get up type of device. I put around when alone and let a couple people know where I'm riding and if I don't call by x time etc. but I'd like something a bit better maybe gps based as phone signal is sketchy. With my crazy schedule I usually ride during the week and alone but always uneasy about it.

19. Used2Bfast 2

Western NC mtns near the Tn line.

I rarely have cell signal.

Many suggest the Spot thingie.

I try and be careful. Refuse to wait for others so I can ride. Life's too short.

20. I'm the same, most riding buddies have regular day jobs and when I'm home I'm up at all crazy hours due to responsibilities globally so I can usually make time to ride. I often have everything loaded up and ready to go in case I get an unexpected window to ride. Hoping to get my exc street legal by next week so I can just jump on it and go. I can take a lot of back roads and if I get a ticket for tires oh well, risk I'm willing to take. I live in NE Ga so terrains probably similar to yours.